Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
R
Thank you Kahuna. Seems like many people take long time to find the diagnosis and it makes things much harder to fix. I guess I was lucky that I was diagnosed within 9 months of having symptoms. I insisted on having MRI because my SI joint and sacrum pain wasn't going away and injuries usually heal in 9 months. It showed bilateral sacroilliatis and my doctor said he thinks I have AS. He sent me to rheumatologist and I have an appointment on April 3rd so as of right now I have not been officially diagnosed.

I am just now starch free this week. I have no ate dairy in a long while, but I was eating lots of brown rice, oatmeal, bananas before I found out I had AS. It was challenging to go on NSD because I kept finding starches in supplements, even my probiotic had potato starch in them so I stopped using them and ordered SeekingHealth ProBiota Sensitive which has nothing other than probiotics, no FOS, no other ingredients like most products do (which probiotic do you use?). I do eat beef bone broth everyday, I make my own but if I don't get better I will stop and change to chicken feet broth only instead - I have a local farm that sells pasture raised chicken feet for dirt cheap.

This week has been first week I am truly starch free and I think I see little tiny improvement, I can walk more normal now. I exercise every day, many days with pain but I know exercise it a must with AS so I push myself. I started taking Apple Cider Vinegar and turmeric. I eat the same thing every day, this way it's easier for me to tell if it's working or not.

This is my diet - maybe I am doing something wrong and someone can help me perfect it.

Breakfast:
Eggs and cup of blueberries, 2tbsp UDO's 3-6-9 oil mix

Snack - large salad consisting of lettuce, red cabbage, kale, spinach, ginger, avocado, egg and either sardines or canned salmon. 1 tbsp olive oil.

Lunch - grilled chicken breast (seasoned with oregano, salt and pepper) and cup of broccoli - 2tbsp olive oil

snack - Paleo pure egg white protein, handfull of blanched almonds and 1 TBSP of coconut oil

Dinner - Paleo pure egg white protein with cup of blueberries.

I also take OptiMen's vitamins, claritin soft gel tabs, probiotic and HMB with breakfast. HMB is amino acid and helps recover soreness after workouts.

With my snack I take fish oil pill, glucosamine, 2 magnesium-calcium-D3 pills and DHist for allergies.

Lunch I take another HMB pill and 1 magnesium-calcium-D3 pill

Dinner I take HMB pill and 1 magnesium-calcium-D3 pill

I am also planning on getting green superfoods to add to my diet to help me detox and give me energy. I was using Amazing grass but it came out black on iodine test and it contains FOS so I am looking for another one that will not have any starch or other products.

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By Kahuna
Mushrooms is interesting, I ate them tonight and feel pretty sore. I am also find beef is causing some soreness too, I am findin turkey, chicken amd fish are my best options. I have never had any issues with greens yet amd eat lots of kale and spinach, but I will test the kale with iodine next time to see what heppens.

After reading this I decided to try kale again and it was fine!! Has me wondering if I was mistaken about the culprit at the time....

I'm about 2 months in now and the honeymoon is truly over; while I was buoyed in the early days by the substantial pain relief, I am soooooo tired of eating the same things every day (especially the zucchini and spinach). Adding kale to the list of foods I can eat feels uncommonly exciting!

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
R
R
Kellybells , I know what you mean - I miss all the comfort foods but I told myself I will stick to this diet until my symptoms disappear. Once that happens, I plan on adding foods back in slowly..

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Ranger, looks like you're seeing improvement, that's great!

Looking at your diet, turmeric and ginger are foods that trip me up - I can't tolerate even small amounts. If you hit a wall in your progress, they might be something to look at.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By ranger7
Kellybells , I know what you mean - I miss all the comfort foods but I told myself I will stick to this diet until my symptoms disappear. Once that happens, I plan on adding foods back in slowly..

Yeah, that's been my approach too. It's painstaking and slow but seems like the only way to do this.

Happy to say it seems to be working: it took me about 2 weeks to figure out and stick to a starch free baseline diet. And then one day, not long after, I woke up 90% pain free for the first time in a year and it was AMAZING!

I'm still hoping NSD will take care of the last 10% but I imagine that there's some damage that is just going to be slow to heal. So I'm going to stick with it and cautiously add foods, one by one, and see how it goes.

K
K
I take garden of life raw primal defense ultra which is dairy and FOS free and find it works good without negative effect for me. I stay away from canned sardines somehting in them causes me inflammation and it is liekly the preservative. Canned salmon is fine though but you shouldnt eat more than 3-4 times a week cause it can raise your heavy metals in your blood, also cans are coated inside with BPA which is nasty stuff. Ginger is good in moderation but can ellavate body temp so if you have inflamtion it can make it worse in TCM gingers nature is warming.

If want to speed it up do get a juicer and do a juice fast for 10 days it suprising what happens, but unfortunately it is not sustainable, but sure takes away the pain. After 10 days start re-introducing foods and see what happens. It helpd me figure out alot of triggers and it was much more than starch triggering my pain.

I juiced kale, chard celery, apples, carrots, cucumber, peppers, cabbage, and supriisngly beets too and I felt great. It was a quick short cut to see what food was doing to my AS.

R
R
I only eat 3 cans a week and I try to buy the BPA free cans but I will switch to ground turkey instead since you never know what they pack into those cans. I only use tiny amount of ginger in my salad, I shred it and add it to it but if I am not getting better, I will eliminate it. Same with turmeric, at least for a while to see what happens. Right now, I'm seeing progress so I will continue and see what happens. I would like to be able to run again but baby steps here.

I have a juicer and will give the juice fast a shot if I don't get rid of all the symptoms. Right now, I am starting to feel little better, pain is not as severe as it was and I can walk normal which is an improvement for me. I assume things take time to heal like Kellybells said so we need to give the body that time to repair itself. I forgot to add that I also drink a cup of home made beef bone broth and I noticed my nails are growing like crazy and to my shocking observation, hair started to grow again on my bald head LOL.

K
K
Sounds like what your doing is working well and if bone broth doesnt bug you it is awesome for you and jammed pack with tonnes of natural amino acids the marrow in the bones is great for healing your gut. Keep kicking your AS!

R
R
Yes, same to you! Thank you for all your help!

L
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
L
Hello,

My husband has been on the diet for 5 months and has not cheated once. I am so proud of him. He even got off dairy. There has been no reduction of pain. We are confused and desperately looking for options. Should we start reintroducing foods I.e. Rice. He has lost so much wait. He is down 13 lbs. he is 6ft and now weighs 139!!! He has not had his pain decrease at all. Any recommendations?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)