Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
Cross contamintaion means food that has come in contact with other foods that can cause a reaction.

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I have had issues with mushrooms and cheeses. I can tell by the extra stiffness the next day.

I haven't had cauliflower but I have had trouble with kale and collards greens, which appear to have minute amounts of starch according to USA. I

'm basically eating eggs, meat, zucchini, and spinach now....and seeing improvement. Good luck!

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
K
K
Mushrooms is interesting, I ate them tonight and feel pretty sore. I am also find beef is causing some soreness too, I am findin turkey, chicken amd fish are my best options. I have never had any issues with greens yet amd eat lots of kale and spinich, but I will test the kale with iodine next time to see what heppens.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Just stick with real A.S. medication from a rheumatologist. Special diet for A.S.is just mumbo jumbo and witchcraft.

M
mig Offline
M
Hi Fredrick,

We all have our own preferences when it comes to how we treat our AS. This forum is specifically here for the purpose of those who want to support each other by sharing their experiences in treating AS using a dietary approach. I always try to be considerate of others with this rotten disease -- anything and everything that may help someone else is worth sharing.

Perhaps this forum isn't for you, but the good news is that there are many other forums on KA!

Thanks for your consideration,
mig

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Hi mig
I seem to have hit a raw nerve sorry for that I did not wish to give offence.
Yes indeed we all have our own preferences when it comes to how we treat our A.S. but I never realised this was a site that was intended as one for those who exclusively treated their AS using a dietary method.

But as you say "anything and everything that may help someone else is worth sharing" and there are postings on the Forum regarding various drugs as a treatment for A.S. You see I have no belief in any special diet as a treatment for A.S.

Yes I agree perhaps this Forum is not for me and that is why I also post on other A.S. Forums. I did in fact stop coming on this site for several years. I returned in an idle moment only to find the site still full of dietary advice that I saw as more likely to do harm than good.

You end your posting by saying
"there are many other forums on KA!"
Excuse my ignorance but what, where is this "KA" you mention?

R
R
I am new here but I have seen few of your posts here Frederick - all pretty much negative in reference to the diet. However, many people have found relief with this diet so it works for sure and it's hard to argue with facts.

You suggest using the real A.S. medication from a rheumatologist - you mean the drugs that suppress your immune system? Those that can cause heart failure, cancer, Vision problems and even death? Those that will make you sick all the time because your immune system is turned off so you can't fight any diseases?

Given the terrible side effects, I think a diet is worth a try. It is restrictive and some people can't handle it or it may not work for everyone but it is definitely worth giving a shot before injecting your body with biological drugs.

By the way, KA means KickAS.

K
K
I agree ranger, I am faced with taking biologic in the near future and it scares the pants off me. They have some nasty side effects and if I can find ways through eating different to avoid them it sure is worth a try and cost nithing to try and has barely any negative impacts. I have you kids and I have already lost some mobilty and I want to stay active with them and dont want to loose more mobilty so My inevitable course in biologis but it wont stop me from trying to see if I can make some change with diet. There is no doubt in my mind I have been able to reduce inflamtion and flare ups by some of the things I have found on here. By taking out red meat, glueten, dairy, msg I have less flare ups and never as bad as they were. By adding apple cider vinager I have also noticed a reduction in how long flare ups last. I am greatfull to find this group and appreciate finding others with the same condition that are willing to share advice and tips. There is not alot of understanding from non AS people, so it is nice to have a forum where people understand and want to be proactive and kick AS

R
R
Kahuna, you're 100% right. We need to do everything we can to avoid bilogical drugs because they bring whole set of new symptoms (side effects) but sometimes we have no choice. Are you able to control your symptoms with the diet? Did you have any damage when they first diagnosed you? I am just starting my diet and yesterday and today were my first days of being completely starch free - well, at least as far as I can tell. I know I have some stomach issues being always bloated and not regular so I am also trying to heal my leaky gut with home made bone broth. I believe AS and stomach issues go hand in hand and it is well documented here. It is very frustrating and painful disease but we can't give up and even if you have to take biologics, you should continue the diet so maybe you won't have to take them as often and eventually not at all.

K
K
It took 12 years for me to get diagnosed. My GP just had no clue and it took a full spine flare up where I lost mobility for almost 2 weeks about 3 years ago before my GP took it seriously. The hopsital gave me Vimovo amd I was able to function again in about two weeks. At around the same time I found out I have an uncle with AS but his spine has seized in multiple locations. I let my doctor know and she tested for the hla-b27 but I was negative so she didnt diagnose me. Finially ober two years later my pain was sticking around even on vimovo I insited on xrays compared to the ones I got when I had the massive flare up. It showed signs of AS and my GP got me into a Rheumatologist. It has been a frustrating journey, but at least I know what I am dealing with.

I have not gone completely starch free, I still eat gluetinous rice, but no other starches. I was also making bone broth thinking in was good, but my pain was still active. A friend wih excema (which is auto-immune also🤓) said beef and red meat make him react and I stoped making beef bone broth amd noticed a difference. Instead now I take licorice root and a good starch, dairy, glueten free priobiotic and it helps. Many people with AS have IBD try avoiding all dairy and see if it helps, it only takes a couple,weeks to tell. I also notice shellfish and mushrooms can cause reactions and I have no allergies to either but notice I can get sore after eating them.

Pure homemade Juice fasts and exercise really help amd try taking apple cider vinegar daily it helps alot. 1 tsp of honey with 1tbls of ACV and 250-400ml of water 4 times daily helps make your digestive system less habitable to bad bacteria.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella