Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#515958 10/04/16 09:14 PM
K
Lurker
OP Offline
Lurker
K
I see some recommendations on this site for a few different foods but some of them seem to be in contradiction. Was hoping for some clarity.

1. Carrots
Some people say don't, some say raw is fine cooked is starchy. What's the real story on carrots?

2. Green beans.
I've seen these recommended on other sites as a good choice if you're avoiding starchy vegetables. What's the consensus here, safe or no?

3. Eggs
Someone told me to look at the paleo for autoimmune diet and it says to avoid eggs because the whites do something to cause inflammation. Again, safe or no?

4. Almonds
Same thing as above on the eggs, that paleo for autoimmune says no nuts at all. Thoughts on this one?

5. Avocados
Some on here say don't eat stone fruit, which this falls into, but others in the recipe area say to use it. Confused on avocados.

I appreciate any help or insights. I've been fasting quite a lot lately in mild fear I'll eat something that I think is ok and maybe isn't. I'm hungry smirk but I'd rather starve then go back to nsaids or flare.

AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME, kickascross:

Quote:
1. Carrots
Some people say don't, some say raw is fine cooked is starchy. What's the real story on carrots?

EXACTLY RIGHT: Raw carrots do not usually have enough available starch to be problematic, but cooking process causes cell walls to fracture, exposing more of the starches.

Quote:
2. Green beans.
I've seen these recommended on other sites as a good choice if you're avoiding starchy vegetables. What's the consensus here, safe or no?

Green beans and snow peas are starchy, but not usually enough to cause a reaction; if the rest of Your diet is clean enough, these should be safe.

Quote:
3. Eggs
Someone told me to look at the paleo for autoimmune diet and it says to avoid eggs because the whites do something to cause inflammation. Again, safe or no?

Egg yolks are rich in arachidonic acid (AA) and precursors but will only cause problems the first couple of weeks eating NSD; after the tendency to inflammation is reduced, Eggs in fact should become the most important part of the diet.

Quote:
4. Almonds
Same thing as above on the eggs, that paleo for autoimmune says no nuts at all. Thoughts on this one?

The almond flesh is not starchy enough to be provocative, but the skins do contain enough starch for some people to react. Many are fine with blanched and I think quite a few of us don't bother and just leave the skins intact.

Quote:
5. Avocados
Some on here say don't eat stone fruit, which this falls into, but others in the recipe area say to use it. Confused on avocados.

Avocados are kind of in the "borderline foods" group; they seem to test 'mildly positive' with iodine often enough to be wary. I think this food as a garnish (minor overall percentage of meal) might not be too bad and especially if the rest of the meal is devoid of starch. Food combinations are an important aspect of our dynamic intestinal environment. I believe that most NSDers do not react to avocados.

I will tell You an interesting thing: Garlic is somewhat starchy--too starchy normally to eat--but it may possess anti-Klebsiella properties (it is considered a "natural antibiotic" and anti-fungal by some) to the extent that there is almost no garlic powder which is provocative.

We should take a poll of NSDers to see what the percentages are and where these foods fall on the symptom-promoting scale.

HEALTH,
John

M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
I agree with the above post. I now eat apples with impunity, not at first though. Betty rawker cook book a godsend later on in your diet.
ETTE
Darrel

Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
For me, carrots, eggs, almonds, and green beans have all been okay, even cooked carrots. I don't know about avocados as I haven't eaten any in years. Keep a food log along with your symptoms to better figure out how you react to these. Eat these on separate days to better understand your reactions to each at first.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM