Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tux Offline OP
OP Offline
T
WARNING: LONG POST smile

Well, I haven't been on here in a while, But I wanted to make another post. And like I always say, this is just my opinion. If what your doing Is working for you, then great, don't change. But if your still suffering this post may be for you.

It's been 3 and a half years that Ive had this EVIL disease. And I think I finally have a grasp on it, and understand what it takes to put it in remission. And it can be summed up in one line. "IT'S NOT WHAT YOU EAT. IT'S WHAT YOU DONT EAT" . Here's why this disease is so evil. You can literally be the "healthiest" person in the world, only eat the healthiest foods. work out everyday. Do yoga, meditation, the whole 9 yards. But if you eat just ONE thing that affects you, you won't be able to get out of bed the next day.

So with that being said, we have to fight this disease differently. For other diseases just "living healthy" or "eating healthy" may do the trick, but for us, that's just not gonna cut it. You can try and eat more broccoli and smile more, but your still going to be in pain. So if you truly want to put this disease into remission you have to forget about "being healthy". I know, sounds weird. But I'll explain why I say that next.

I hear so many people on here, and around the web complain about the diet not working, but then when they list out the foods they eat. And Its a list of 60 different things. They just think that taking starch out of their diets and eating more greens will "heal" them. But that's not going to work. Because if even one, yes ONE of those 60 things affects you, then you will live in pain.

I have a friend on Facebook who has MS, and he's in real bad shape. But I was happy to see that he was starting to change his diet to fight the disease. But the other day I was discourged when he posted a picture of a salad he had for lunch, but behind it sat a bag of white powdered donuts, and when someone mentioned them. He responded. "Hey it's ok to cheat once in a while wink " I wanted to scream NOOOOOOO, with a auto immune disease it's NEVER ok to cheat EVER. Because auto immune diseases don't care if your diet is "overall" healthy. All they need is for you to eat ONE wrong thing and they'll have you screaming in pain.

SO, how do you fight this disease, it's no secret, you take away what it likes. You starve it. Now trust me, I'm not saying anything we haven't heard, we all know this, that's why were on this site. Where I come in, is I want to encourage people to GO TO THE MAX with that logic. I want to explain to people that your not going to beat this disease by eating healthy. Your going to beat it by taking out EVERYTHING that this disease likes to feed on.

So here's how I did it. For a YEAR, an entire year. All I ate was Turkey, Olives, Celery, Raspberries, Dates, Salt, and Water. That's it. day after day after day after day. People thought I was crazy. But my life was falling apart in July 2014. I was in a BAAAAD place. I lived in pain. Every step I took was like Knifes stabbing my feet. I thought about suicide for the first time in my life. But luckily I got up, Dusted myself off. And said IM GOING TO BEAT THIS. The year prior to that, I tried the healty thing. I tried being vegan, I tried 80 10 10, I tried eating herbs (which was the worst mistake of my life) and it all amounted with me missing over a month of work. I got Iritis, My foot swelled up , I came down with interstitial cystitis, I had shoulder pain so bad it would sometime take me 10 minutes to take a shirt off. I got inner era disease, Vertigo, nausea, the whole 9 yards. Do you see why suicide was an option?

So after all that I looked in the mirror and said SCREW "being healthy" So I went on the elimination diet like I mentioned. And totally reversed everything. Interstitial Cystitis, GONE. Iritis, GONE, Foot swelling, GONE. Body pain, GONE, Inner ear disease, GONE. All things BTW that doctors told me were irreversible and I would have to live with. HAHAHAHAHA what Joke.

So now here I am, I'm completely healthy, NO symptoms, and in my case, it had nothing to do with yoga, or breathing technics, or special "healing herbs" or Probioctics. It was as simple as removing what the disease was feeding on. So now what do I eat? Well I can eat Red meat, Beef and Buffalo, Bacon, Chicken, Turkey, Eggs, Celery, Raspberries, Dates, Figs, dried apricots, Rasins, Now sure I do have some healthy stuff in their. But Red meat and Bacon are certainly not healthy. Most people would call them 'Unhealthy", But they don't affect my disease. Which at this point is all I care about. If I get cancer one day because of the meat I eat. That's fine, were all gonna die one day. But I'd rather live a pain free life up until then.

So to wrap this up. I write this post to ENCOURGE!! Like I said, if the person reading this is doing fine, then great, don't change a thing. But for those of still suffering. YOU CAN GET BETTER. Just one year ago, I was literally dying, Now I'm healthier than I was when I was playing highschool sports. IT IS POSSIBLE for remission. But this disease is different for each person. So don't buy into those "heal AS NOW" kind of books, Because everybody is different. How does that author know what's going to work for you? For instance Some people swear by Herbs. But Just a simple dash of Basil Blew my foots up and STILL gives me pain on some days from the damage it did. Everyone is different.

SO PLEASE DONT GIVE UP KEEP TRYING, DO THE ELIMINATION DIET. TRY A FAST (my longest was 8 days) . YOU CAN BEAT THIS, IT DOES NOT CONTROL YOU, YOU CONTROL IT, AND I'M LIVING PROOF OF IT.

Thanks for reading good luck.

Last edited by tux; 11/26/15 11:39 PM.
K
Lurker
Lurker
K
Thank you for your post. I am curious how you discovered that these food items were the group that worked for you? Was your starting point your current diet and then just eliminate one item at a time until you began to feel better? Please explain a bit more on that process ..Thanks so much
Kathy B

Kathy
Hello Tux

Thanks for the long post, very motivating. Best on continued health for you in the future.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
M
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
M
Great post!

Thank you for sharing~

Jules
J
J
Interesting post, thanks.
I would recommend if this thread resonates with you, to have a look at the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol 'diet'
It is an elimination diet, and many are finding it useful to take a similar approach but with a bit more structure behind it.
The other one I hear a lot about is GAPS, which is very similar.
These are not supposed to be forever, but they help you eliminate foods that are affecting your AS.

T
tux Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By KathyB
Thank you for your post. I am curious how you discovered that these food items were the group that worked for you? Was your starting point your current diet and then just eliminate one item at a time until you began to feel better? Please explain a bit more on that process ..Thanks so much
Kathy B

Sorry for the Delay. The foods I choose for the elimination diet were the few foods that I was 99% sure weren't affecting me. I had always done well with Turkey, Olives, Celery, Dates, and Raspberries. So For my lunch I would load up on fruit, Dates and raspberries. Then for dinner. I would steam LOTS of Celery, Bake turkey, and Olives and then Mix those things together and season it with salt, and that would be my dinner. It was very very very simple, and very very very Boring..lol. But it was working, all the symptoms I had mentioned were going away.

ALSO, I totally forgot to mention this. I talked about this in a previous post. But as you see I NEVER ate sugar with fat. I ate fruit and ONLY fruit for lunch, and then I ate some fat (Olives) for dinner. And I still do this today, and I can't speak highly enough for eating this way. IMO sugar doesn't mix well with heavier foods like fat and meat. So I will never mix them again

Anyway Back to your original question. Everyone's elimination diet will be different. What I tried to do, was pick one meat. 'Turkey' One vegetable "Celery" , one or two fruits. "Dates" and "Raspberries" and one source of fat. "olives"

For you that may be totally different. It may be chicken, Broccoli, Pineapple,Blueberries, and Avocados. Something like that. The key is try to find a few foods that can get you back to as close to 100% health as you can get. So when you start to add foods back in, ONE AT A TIME BTW, you'll know instantly that it affects you negativity, and then cross it off your list FOREVER.

Anyway that's how I did it, again though, this isn't a one size fits all disease, the way you beat it may be completely different. Just don't give up, that's the most important thing. I've learned that there's ALWAYS more that can be done, or further you can go. It just depends on how strong you are, and trust me, those of us with AS are tough as nails for what we go through. So I have no worries there.

Anyway If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, or PM me.

Last edited by tux; 12/03/15 08:27 PM.
New_Member
New_Member
Thank you for your inspirational post. I fully agree with you and I made the same experiences:
> If fasting reduces your pain level, it is very likely that you react to some food. You have to find out which food you react to and stop eating those.
> Autoimmune disease is triggered by diet. Remove the foods you react to and you will feel better. However not everybody reacts to the same food
> At the beginning eat very few foods for several days. If you mix too many foods then you will never know which foods affect you badly
> Eat sugar before fat
> Don't mix sugar and fat

L
L33 Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Thank you for this wonderful post it gives me hope.

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
I agree! I feel best with cucember and celery juice , salads, apples , chicken turkey.
I feel like crap if I eat, grains, dairy , refined sugar , nightshades and nuts and oils, basically all the thingsin life that taste good. oh well, as we Catholics say ...offer it up, help someone else , dont let the pain go to waste, attach it to a prayer for someone. redemptive suffering.

Below is an article that came to me this week about how brocolli can help heal leaky gut.

Broccoli is well-known for its chemoprotective properties. New research shows this cruciferous vegetable can also be very helpful in the treatment of colitis and leaky gut
Leaky gut occurs when gaps develop between the cells making up the membrane lining your intestinal wall. These gaps allow substances that should be confined to your digestive tract to enter your bloodstream
When you eat broccoli, a compound called indolocarbazole (ICZ) is produced. By binding to and activating certain receptors on your gut lining, ICZ boosts immune function and improves the balance of your gut microbiome
To achieve this healing effect, you’d need to eat about 3.5 cups of broccoli per day. You can obtain an equivalent amount of ICZ from a single cup of Brussels sprouts, as they contain three times the ICZ of broccoli
Broccoli also has many other health benefits, boosting mitochondrial health and energy metabolism, and protecting against obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, neurodegenerative diseases and cancer
By Dr. Mercola

Broccoli, a close relative of Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower, is perhaps most well-known for its chemoprotective properties. It's an excellent source of phytonutrient glucosinolates, flavonoids and other health-boosting antioxidant and anticancer compounds. One of the compounds in broccoli known to have anticancer activity is sulforaphane, a naturally occurring organic sulfur.

Studies have shown sulforaphane supports normal cell function and division while causing apoptosis (programmed cell death) in colon,1 prostate,2 breast3 and tobacco-induced lung cancer4 cells, and reducing the number of cancerous liver tumors in mice.5 Three servings of broccoli per week may reduce your risk of prostate cancer by more than 60 percent.6

Its beneficial effects on obesity, Type 2 diabetes and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) have also been highlighted in a number of studies. Researchers have now identified yet another major health benefit of this cruciferous vegetable: a healthy gut. In fact, researchers suggest broccoli can be very helpful in the treatment of colitis and leaky gut.7,8,9,10 As reported by CBS:11

"The Penn State study was carried out with mice, who were found to be much more capable of tolerating digestive issues than those who weren't put on a broccoli diet. The scientists added that the results could be a breakthrough for humans, as digestive problems can reportedly lead to other severe issues."

Broccoli Helps Heal a Leaky Gut
What they discovered is that when you eat broccoli, a compound called indolocarbazole (ICZ) is produced, which catalyzes a healthy balance not only in your gut but also in your immune system, as the two are intricately connected. In this study, 15 percent of the animals' diet was swapped out for raw broccoli, equating to a human eating 3.5 cups of broccoli per day.

Admittedly, that's quite a bit of broccoli, but the researchers note you can obtain an equivalent amount of ICZ from a single cup of Brussels sprouts, as they contain three times the ICZ of broccoli. Earlier studies had confirmed that one of the health benefits of broccoli is its ability to quench inflammation, so it makes sense it would be helpful for gastrointestinal (GI) inflammation as well.

Leaky gut is a condition that occurs due to the development of gaps between the cells (enterocytes) that make up the membrane lining your intestinal wall. These tiny gaps allow substances such as undigested food, bacteria and metabolic wastes that should be confined to your digestive tract to escape into your bloodstream.

Once the integrity of your intestinal lining is compromised, allowing toxic substances to enter your bloodstream, your body experiences a significant increase in inflammation. Your immune system may also become confused and begin to attack your own body as if it were an enemy — a hallmark of autoimmunity disorders.

Chronic inflammation in your body can also contribute and/or lead to other health conditions such as arthritis and heart disease. While leaky gut syndrome is primarily associated with inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's and ulcerative colitis and celiac disease, even healthy people can have varying degrees of intestinal permeability leading to a wide variety of health symptoms, and this can be significantly influenced by your diet.

Removing lectins from your diet will also go a long way to healing a leaky gut. You can learn more about the details of this in the previous interview I did with Dr. Steven Gundry, who wrote the book "The Plant Paradox."

How Broccoli Improves Gut Function
A key component of a healthy gut is having good barrier function to prevent particles from escaping from your intestinal tract into your bloodstream. Receptors located on the lining of your gut wall called aryl hydrocarbon receptors (AHRs) play a vital role in maintaining a well-functioning barrier. One of their primary jobs is to trigger a reaction when toxins are detected.

As mentioned, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables contain glucosinolate compounds, which are broken down into ICZ and other byproducts during digestion in your stomach. By binding to and activating AHR, ICZ helps boost your immune function and improve the balance of the microbiome in your gut.

The compound sulforaphane also inhibits inflammation by reducing damaging reactive oxygen species (ROS) by as much as 73 percent.12 Sulforaphane is also an immune stimulant,13 so broccoli beneficially influences your immune function in more ways than one.

Interestingly, excessive activation of AHR will have an opposite, detrimental effect. According to the researchers in the featured study, dioxin activates this receptor, but in this case the resulting hyperactivation triggers toxicity. Lead author Gary Perdew, professor of agricultural sciences, said,14 "What we were interested in is: Could you locally activate the receptor naturally at a level that would cause only modest AHR activation in the gut, but not cause systemic activation, which could possibly lead to negative effects?"

The answer, as you may have guessed, is yes, you can — with cruciferous vegetables. Importantly, broccoli and other sulfur-rich cruciferous vegetables also improve detoxification, which is another important factor that influences your health, including your gut health. Broccoli sprouts, in particular, have been shown to help detox environmental pollutants such as benzene.15,16,17 As noted by The World's Healthiest Foods:18

"… [S]ulforaphane increases the activity of the liver's phase 2 detoxification enzymes. These enzymes … are well-known for their ability to clear a wide variety of toxic compounds from the body including not only many carcinogens, but also many reactive oxygen species, a particularly nasty type of free radical.

By jump-starting these important detoxification enzymes, compounds in crucifers provide protection against cell mutations … and numerous other harmful effects that would otherwise be caused by these toxins."

The Importance of Fiber for Healthy Gut Function
Broccoli and other members of this family are also good sources of fiber — another important ingredient for good gut health. Fiber helps nourish your gut microbiome to strengthen your immune function and reduce your risk of inflammatory diseases.19 Fiber also activates a gene called T-bet, which is essential for producing immune cells in the lining of your digestive tract.20

These immune cells, called innate lymphoid cells (ILCs), help maintain balance between immunity and inflammation in your body and produce interleukin-22, a hormone that helps protect your body from pathogenic bacteria. ILCs even help resolve cancerous lesions and prevent the development of bowel cancers and other inflammatory diseases.

Broccoli Has Many Valuable Health Benefits
As you can see, the benefits of broccoli are significant, making it well worth adding a few spears and/or broccoli sprouts to your meals on a regular basis. Doing so has been shown to:21

Boost mitochondrial health and energy metabolism via nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), an enzyme in broccoli that your body needs to produce nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD).

NAD may slow age-related decline in health by restoring your metabolism to more youthful levels22,23,24 Once in your system, NMN is quickly converted into NAD
Aid with weight loss. Sulforaphane has been shown to slow weight gain, especially the accumulation of dangerous visceral fat, by speeding up tissue browning, a heat-generating type of fat that burns energy rather than storing it, and decreasing gut bacteria associated with obesity25,26,27
Boost overall immune function, thanks to compounds such as diindolylmethane (DIM). DIM has also been shown to be a valuable player in the prevention and treatment of cancer28,29
Lower your risk for atherosclerosis and neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, thanks to phenolic compounds that reduce free radicals
Improve digestion and gut health, courtesy of significant amounts of fiber and AHR-activating ICZ
Support eye health, thanks to high levels of the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin
Benefit your skin, as sulforaphane helps repair skin damage
Fight allergies, thanks to the flavonoid kaempferol
Provide important vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, potassium, calcium, protein and vitamin C
Help reduce blood sugar levels, as it contains both soluble fiber and chromium
Support heart health and help prevent thickening of your arteries
Reduce your risk of developing NAFLD by lowering triglyceride levels in your liver30,31
Reduce inflammation, which is at the root of many chronic diseases, including asthma, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease32,33,34
Improve Type 2 diabetes by lowering blood glucose levels and improving gene expression in your liver35,36
How to Get the Most Out of Your Broccoli

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!