Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Elouis Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
E
Hello,

I am trying to evaluate which food can trigger some pain. It's very challenging as my level of pain has been up and down after 3 months on NSD. But I wanted to know how long do you usually feel a reaction after eating an offended food?

For example if you eat a real starchy food like a piece of bread or a potato or rice, do you feel some pain immediately or in the next 30mn or next hours, days?

I would love to hear from your experience.

S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
I really try to avoid really starchy grains in particular. On those occasion s that I've had something like a small cupcake made with wheat flour or a slice of gluten free bread made with rice flour I have woken up the next morning feeling generally stiff and sore and like my ribs are trying to fold in on themselves. Not pleasant. Potato doesn't seem to have quite as violent a reaction.

AS, IBS, reflux oesophagitis and dysphagia, PCOS/insulin resistance, asthma...
Currently managing my AS with humira, methotrexate, low starch diet and exercises. Also taking omeprazole, metformin etc.
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
This same question was recently asked on the facebook low/no starch group and had 25 comments. There are a lot of active people in that group, check it out and join if you have a facebook account!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/470884762984762/

Thanks!!
Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
E
Elouis Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
E
Thank you Andrea but I don't have a Facebook account so can't access. Anyway you can cut and paste here?

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, Eluis:

A flare from a severely provocative food can last over five days and will usually begin 3-7 hours after the meal.

The half-life of our agent provocateur is nearly 100 hours, and an individual 'experiment' is self-limiting, but when ignorant of starches, or otherwise impatient about diet, we begin layers-upon-layers of inflammatory cycles.

When in strict-NSD, a flare might only last a day or two after consuming something 'stealthy.'

HEALTH,
John

Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
That is a great description:
"layers-upon-layers of inflammatory cycles".

It took a lot of time in the early days to get through those "layers".

These days I still have to take an extra strength Ibuprofen now and then to get out of the cycle of layered inflammation brought on by either activities, or combinations of too hard an activity and poor food choices.

But now, if I eat cleanly, activity is not at all as big a trigger of flares, and a food misstep is bypassed in a day or two, as opposed to a week to 10 days. Huge improvement, and I continue to improve, most noticeably in 6 month imcrements I'd say.

B27+, 2nd Rheumy: 'inflammatory backpain'.
IBS + SI/lumbar/thoracic/cervical/knee/elbow stiffness & pain.
Managing inflammation very well with diet since Jan 2011.
Slow but consistent reduction in symptoms year by year.
Haven't seen a physician in years.
Took LDN (4.5mg) between 2013-2015, 2018-2019.
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I totally agree about the layers of inflammation, especially unpealing the layers in the beginning. Now that I am 3 years into NSD, I recover from accidental starch very quickly.

Here is my response on I left on the facebook post:
I now react horribly to soy (like soybean oil found in most restaurant sauces, and on grills) my gut will get super painful and inflamed in under 30 minutes, then my while body starts to ache a couple hours later, like fibro. (Similar but less severe reactions also to nightshades and refined sugar) But just regular starch, it won't hit me till the next day. Been strict NSD 3 years, usually a little random starch in one meal won't kill me, its the 2nd meal the next day, if I eat more a little more starch. I think the 1st meal with a little starch wakes up the klebsiella population, and they are ready to go full force and multiply if I eat something starchy a 2nd time in a row.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
E
Elouis Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
E
Thank you all. That give me a better idea.
I wish it would be easier to track the trigger like for a food allergy where you can expect a reaction in the next 30 mn and even sometime immediately.

Last edited by Elouis; 08/26/14 03:53 AM.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,898 hmmm