Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#501976 04/01/14 03:39 AM
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
I am putting together a book on treating and overcoming AS through diet.

This book will be a compilation of experiences from a handful of people who have had success on their own version of the low starch diet. I would love to hear from anyone who has been on this diet for 2 years or more and having success.

I personally thrive on a "honey badger" style diet high in fruits, natural sugars, along with veggies & fats too. I barely eat animal proteins, just a little fish on occasion. I also eat lots of mushrooms, greens, nut milks, herbs, veggies. But I do get quite a bit of my energy from the sweeter things in life, like dates, fruits, honey, etc.

BUT, I know a lot of you who have had success with this diet don't eat a lot of fruit (some of you don't eat any fruit), and some eat a lot more animal protein and fats than I do. And that is why I think it is important to include others in this book project.

Here is a rough idea of what I will be asking from anyone who would like to contribute: a list of your ultimate "safe" foods, your fringe foods, the foods that cause you to flare the worst, a typical 7 day menu plan, along with your 10 or more of your favorite recipes. I would also like to include any supplements you take, and treatments you have found helpful.

I would also love to find someone comfortable with the scientific terminology to write up the intro and explain the basics of how this diet works, the relationship with klebsiella and a leaky gut, etc. I am not this person. smile

I just feel like there needs to be a solid book someone can read to glean all the information they need to get started and learn from the rest of us. It can seem really overwhelming at first, and kickas is a WONDERFUL resource & website, but I still feel like we need a simple resource where it is all lined out, and there is not a lot of confusion mixed in from people just getting started or debates of whether or not the diet works, etc. This diet saved my life, and I feel compelled to try and help others save their lives too.

This book will start out as an ebook and if popular enough, I will have it published in hard copy. I hope to include the stories of 5 to 10 people. If you are interested in working with me on this project, please get in touch with me!

bettyrawker @ gmail. com or send me an email on here.

I can't promise any big financial return at this point, but we can work on agreement that if/when the book becomes a bestseller we have profit sharing set up. Ultimately I just want to help people.

Thanks so much!!
Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
J
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
J
Awesome initiative! Hope you get some of the experienced AS kickers to contribute.
/Loha

AS since February 2013
NSD - as of yet no medication.
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Betty - you are reading my mind. It is high time. Would love to contribute.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Best wishes!! I know it will be a great book.

[Linked Image]

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
Thanks everyone! I have got 5 All Star AS kickers on board so far!

I would love to reach out to a couple more people, especially those in other parts of the world! India, UK/Europe, Australia, South America, (not sure if AS is showing up much in Asian?)

So if you know of anyone having success with this diet outside of the US, please have them contact me. I would love to include them!!

The crew on board so far is amazing though, a stellar group of people all on different versions of the low starch, ranging from 2+ to 8 years experience for each person. I am so excited about this project! It's time has come. So many (myself included) are now reacting to GMO soy/corn, food additives, lactose, refined sugar, in addition to starches, and the time for a new book has come! And I feel this book with be an excellent jumping off point for anyone looking to conquer this disease through a low starch, anti-inflammatory diet. (as we all know, results are never guaranteed, but there are so many doing so well on this diet that are not currently active here on kickas, and I can't wait to get their stories out there!!)

Thanks so much for the support!
Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
I have got the new website up!

http://straightupdiet.com/

More recipes to come soon! I am working on "beer battered" mushrooms today along with herb roasted radishes. Yum, yum!

And if you'd like to be involved just send me a message.

Thanks so much!!

A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hi Andrea,

What a great idea! Congratulations on your new website. Looks good!

smile Almond.

Diagnosed with Spondyloartritis in 2011. HLA B-27 positive. Started no starch diet in the end of 2011. Been (almost) without medication since that moment. I was a sceptic. I'm a believer now: 'let food be thy medicine'. For Dutch readers: read my story on: http://almondfigtree.wordpress.com/
Almond #502710 04/23/14 04:14 PM
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
Hi Almond!

I would LOVE to include your recipes and story in the book! If you would like to be involved just send me a note at bettyrawker@ gmail.com

I promise I am not asking for too much work from everyone, and it would be great to have someone from your part of the world represented! Plus you have so many great recipes on your website too!

Thanks!!

bettyrawker #502847 04/28/14 01:28 PM
A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hey Andrea!
Yes I want to help! The more people read about this diet the better.
I'm in. I'm very happy you took this initiative !!!!!
Thanks Andrea.

smile Almond

Diagnosed with Spondyloartritis in 2011. HLA B-27 positive. Started no starch diet in the end of 2011. Been (almost) without medication since that moment. I was a sceptic. I'm a believer now: 'let food be thy medicine'. For Dutch readers: read my story on: http://almondfigtree.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 54 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM