Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#502607 04/21/14 06:17 PM
Sue22 Offline OP
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Rosy cheeks.

For sure, methylpred / cortisone do that to me, flushed cheeks.

Hot flushes used to flush the whole head, from the neck and up.

I was in the rheumatologist office with flushed cheeks. He asked me if I got them too often and I told him "not really" just when a bit overheated?

But since then, I've noticed them more and more. I think when so much hurts, you kind of ignore what feels like small stuff and certainly hot flushed cheeks is maybe a bit annoying, but that's about it.

I saw a different doctor this morning, the one that takes care of my endocrine stuff. I was feeling and observing that flush this morning.

When I asked her about it, wondering if it was something like thyroid or some other hormonal thing (I've been in menopause since 2009), without missing a beat, she said it was an autoimmune butterfly rash. I was surprised, but thought I'd go do a little research. Too, I'll ask my rheumy when I see him again in a few months.

Does the "rash" have to go over the bridge of the nose to be a malar rash? I don't think mine does.

Is a malar rash hot? mine is.

For those of you who have it, other than being out in the sun, what else brings it on?

I really don't think that's what this is, but then again, I don't really know what it is?

To summarize it, feels just like and looks just like when on methylpred, but no methylpred since august and no cortisone shots since over a month ago.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Hi Sue,

Actually I noticed the same on New Year's eve, i got bright red (not rosy, bright red) cheeks and also chin. They felt really really hot.
I've noticed it a couple times since then, not as much but still cheeks very red. Each time I'd had some alcohol that evening, so I was wondering it was related.
If it is a butterfly rash does it mean it's a sign of lupus ?
I'm curious to see if anyone has it ?
Btw, im not on meds at the moment, so can't be a side effect from that.

Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
My cheeks are always red but Doc said it wasn't Lupus, more like inflammation.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks marion,

The alcohol is a good point, but I haven't had more than a sip now and then for years and years. Its been months since even a sip of wine.

I don't have any other evidence of lupus, so assuming its not lupus, especially since the hot, red cheeks don't really look like a butterfly rash to me. I just looked in the mirror and the bridge of my nose is fine. smile

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks Pea,

That makes the most sense to me. The doctor this morning didn't say anything about lupus, simply said "autoimmune butterfly rash", but "autoimmune rash" sounds closer. And inflammation sounds closest of all:

If anything, I just look like I have healthy rosy cheeks…except for the fact that they are hot…..but not all the time.

I'll start keeping track of when I get this.

Thanks. smile

sue

chiro
walk, bike
N
Active_Member
Active_Member
N
Um...I was writing off my facial redness to menopausal acne...although it isn't like acne I've ever had. [sigh] Another thing to research. Thanks for the heads up. (I have been treating it with therapeutic grade T-Tree oil ... seems to help keep it down, but it doesn't go away.)

C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
Try Rosacea as an option. I had what to all intents and purposes looked like an absolutely classic lupus butterfly rash, but after lots of investigations it was concluded that, no, I don't have lupus. My malar rash can flare with or separately from joint symptoms, it can flare in the sun, it can flare with stress, and it can definitely flare with alcohol or certain foods. Some of those things go along with autoimmune (i.e. lupus) rash, all of them go with rosacea. If I let it get really bad, it can change to a different form of rosacea with lumpy bumpy areas that almost look like a really bad case of acne but never really come to a proper pimply head, but mostly its just red - ranging from barely perceptible pink to a really good bright red malar flush. Mine also spares the nasal folds, and it can on occasions spread to forehead or even chin. As I get older it also is starting to show hairline capillaries. My mum has exactly the same, and has done for years. Her doc also questioned lupus (along with her RA) but she also doesn't show the test results for that.

Rosacea can be serious and disfiguring, particularly if the lumpy bumpy phase goes on too long. It is also really difficult to treat, and mostly the "treatment" is just avoiding triggers. While there are some medical treatments, none of them are without long term side effects, so I tend to only treat mine when it gets lumpy bumpy. My most successful strategy is to not expose my face directly to sun (high factor hypoallergenic sunscreen - usually the stuff they sell for babies), and avoid or minimise alcohol. There are good online support groups and info about rosacea. I haven't a clue if its more common in folks with autoimmune disorders, but it does seem that way.

Oh, and mine can often feel incredibly hot, though not all the time (i.e. sometimes it can flush without feeling hot)

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Cemc, do you Know which foods trigger your rosacea ?

N
Active_Member
Active_Member
N
The rosacea sounds more applicable to me. I chuckled at your "lumpy bumpy" description smile

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I was going to mention rosacea, too. Sue, is your rash raised at all or is it just red/pink? When I was in the ER last fall for the abdominal pain, I had developed a rash over my upper chest. Doc wondered what it was. I assume it was nerves since I had had nothing in past several hours that I hadn't had before. They gave me Benadryl anyway (should have refused it, but didn't feel up to the argument). I'll get red cheeks with embarrassment or 'nerves' sometimes. Were you in a stressed situation?

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Christichka), 87 guests, and 89 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM