Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#502142 04/05/14 04:20 PM
samzee Offline OP
Master_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Master_AS_Kicker
Hi Friends,

Sorry I haven't been around much. Two weeks ago, I was walking downstairs and I slipped on a stair. I thought it was just sprained so I just rested. It was three days before Spring Break and as I am teaching on an isolated reserve in Northern Manitoba, medical care is minimum. I put a compression wrap on it right away and ice every 20 minutes - this was on the 19th of March.

On the 21st I left for my spring break. The fights were unpleasant and I barely slept the night of the 21st. I broke down my pride and asked westjet in Winnipeg for a wheelchair. Navigating Toronto airport without it was no feat either and was glad that service was also provided.

Mom picked me up, we take our time driving home 3 hrs from Toronto. We stop near Toronto for lunch and leisurely eat thinking it was still sprained.

I decide as we near Huntsville - near my hometown, that we should really get it xrayed as Spring Break is two weeks and if anything was wrong, it was better to fix it now.

We stop at Emergency and I walk in. Mom does some shopping while I am in there. I wait not a long time, and then get called in. The doctor looked at it and told me he was sure it was just sprained but orders an xray to make sure.

The xray tech asks if i want to walk and I ask for a wheelchair because it was starting to hurt.

She did some xrays, looks at them and states "have you really been walking on this for two days"? I said yes. Her facial expression showed something bad.... but naturally she can't say anything. The doctor comes back with the news.

Not only did I fracture my fibula, 1 cm from my ankle, I also tore the ligaments between the two ankle bones. Because the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone, I could still walk on it... so those muscle calf cramps weren't cramps after all.

I got sent home with a split and a phone call from Barrie Hospital (Royal Victoria) saying that I would have surgery at noon on Sunday the 23rd. I went in for surgery and they did an open reduction internal fixation surgery to repair the ligements and put 8 medical screws it to hold the bone together.

I'm now onto my third week out of six non-weight bearing. The first two were touch and go but now I'm managing my pain and going with it. I'm bored out of my mind. I just came back a few days ago from my follow up with the surgeon who stated that everything was healing nicely.

My family doctor is filling out an accessible parking pass. I get to have my first shower in 2.5 weeks! My family is a saint and helping me out. I head north again on May 23. It's scary how something so little can turn into so big!

Samantha

Samantha

A.S.
Fibro
Undiagnosed Chronic Fatigue

Live like nobody is watching, Love until you can't and Travel to the moon & back
samzee #502149 04/05/14 07:02 PM
Wow... that must have hurt. Hope you heal up 100% and get fully get back on your feet soon.

Best to you.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
samzee #502151 04/05/14 07:10 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Phew - Samantha - horrible break (will refrain from puns). What a devil of an accident. Cringe making - hats off to you for coming through so well.

Next step will be plaster off and then physio ? Positive thoughts for a very speedy and complete recovery - Now, just 'take care'. No more skating down stairs... hugss

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
samzee #502153 04/05/14 07:20 PM
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
Get well soon!
Take the time to have a rest now and enjoy spring.

Hana

March 2014

samzee #502157 04/05/14 08:08 PM
E
New_Member
New_Member
E
Hey Guys
Just wanted to say I have had AS since 1976 , HLA-B27 positive. Had a number of intestinal bouts of pain. Eventually had bowel resection, it helped tremendously. Have had over the years, rib pain, cervical spine pain, jaw pain, various tendon ligament attachment pain and of course the dreaded fatigue. Currently on Remicade, methotrexate, prednisone, vicoprofen and Tramadol when needed (that seems to be most of the time). I am now experiencing. Severe SI and sacrum pain. To the point that walking hurts. Nothing really helps. Am very depressed, oh yeah and on Cymbalta I guess what I wanted to convey is the older you get the worse it gets. Not sure how much more I can take. To retire soon and after struggling all of these years to keep working cannot imagine having to feel like this in retirement. I feel sorry for my wife. She has heard it for years. Surprised she has not taken off. Oh yeah and I now need bi lateral shoulder replacement surgery. Arthritis has decided to attack my left hand and wrist. Too many problems to address, hard to make any difference if you do. Okay, I hope that none of you will have so many issues. Oh yes, have been on the NO/low starch diet for 8 months? No help so far.

samzee #502160 04/05/14 08:33 PM
Glad you decided to go get it checked out! Get well soon!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
samzee #502161 04/05/14 09:30 PM
samzee Offline OP
Master_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Master_AS_Kicker
Thanks for the well wishes. So glad the AS monster hasn't come to chat his head off too! No plaster cast actually. Went right into an aircast after surgery. I was given one between hospital and surgery. Much easier I was told and doc agreed. Just have to leave on the aircast whenever im moving or around ppl. First shower!

Take care

Samantha

A.S.
Fibro

Live like nobody is watching, Love until you can't and Travel to the moon & back
samzee #502165 04/05/14 09:48 PM
An air cast - they are so much easier than those ole plaster casts. I had one for my Achilles tendon and calf muscle - following injury from taking that blasted fluoroquinolone antibiotic. The FDA now has *3 black box warnings on those fluoroquinolones !

Take care Samantha -

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
samzee #502186 04/06/14 07:15 AM
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Yikes, lady! Glad you are fixed up and recovering, but wow!, what a trip. Rest up as much as you can and enjoy that shower. wink

Will you be back at your school after spring 'break'? <ducking and running>

(I did something similar a few years back...tripped down two steps, walked around on it for several hours thinking it was only sprained. Then went to ER and discovered 4 bones broken. RN had said if I could walk on it, it was only sprained. I left in a CAM boot and she apologized for saying what she said.)

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
samzee #502199 04/06/14 02:22 PM
samzee Offline OP
Master_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Master_AS_Kicker
Heading north again May 23. Enough time to mark, write report cards and leave community for good. It's been one heck of a school year and I'm ready for a change.

Samantha

Samantha

A.S.
Fibro

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM