Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#497537 11/20/13 11:14 AM
D
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
D
Hi,

Has anyone tried a drug called Humira, I think it's either by syringe or pen.

The doctor wants me to start I this drug tomorrow, but I'm uncomfortable with this.

If you have tried the drug, please contact!!!!

Thank you

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Hello Divarose, Humira is part of the anti-TNF family along with Enbrel, Simponi, Remicade... Type it into the Search menu here, as a lot of members take one of those (i personnally am on Enbrel and have been for 4 years).
I'm not gonna tell you whether or not you should take it, however those are serious drugs so I wouldn't take it until you've done some proper research into it and feel comfortable.
I'm very surprised your doctor wants you to go on it from one day to the next. Don't know where you're from, but in France, prescription of an anti-TNF requires a whole day in hospital with extensive tests (Blood, TB, chest X-ray, and so on).
Don't rush into it, your doctor can't dictate what you should do and when, do your research, and then make the informed decision to take it or not.
Don't hesitate if you have any questions.
Marion

D
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
D
Thank you for your reply.

I have recently been at the hospital for the day with all of the tests (loads of fun... Lol)

The doctor has all of my information and wants me to trial this drug, starting tomorrow. I have read a bit about and know someone who takes the drug for rheumatoid.

I don't know anyone who has taken the drug with AS.

I guess I'm after any shared information of anyone who has taken the drug.

I didn't know which drug family it belongs too, at least now I can research this as well.

Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
For me, Humaira was a lifesaver.I started feeling better in just a few days and was almost pain free in a little over a week. I was my wonder drug. Unfortunately, after 10 months, it became less effective and I had to switch to Remicade.

There are many people here That use it or one of the other TNF blockers. It's not for everyone for for many it's a wonder drug.

Donna
Cherish your yesterdays,
Dream your tomorrows,
But live your todays.
Do the very best you can
leave the rest to God.
God Bless,
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I started it in early June; I started feeling better that day, almost immediately.

That first week, I felt a bit "manic" like I do on prednisone (but in a good way, just super amount of energy, feeling like I didn't need to sleep), but that was only with the first shot.

And that was it for side effects. No other side effects at all since being on it.

It works great for me the first week of the shot; the second week is more of a challenge, though better than before I started Humira.

The doctor said I could try it every 7 - 10 days if I wanted to, but that would increase my chances of becoming immune to it sooner, so we've decided for now to stick to a shot every 2 weeks (14 days).

I personally can't say enough good things about it.

I haven't been sick on it, no infections, etc.

And when something was going around last week and I felt like I was starting to get it too, my body was able to fight it as well as it ever did in the past.

Its been a real game changer in a lot of ways:

My bowels are much better.

My feet are much better.

My SI is much better the first week, still better than in the past but less so in the second week.

Same for my neck.

Same for my enthesitis.

No psoriasis since starting Humira, almost no mouth sores, almost no dry eyes, no skin rashes.

No fatigue in the first week, less in the second week.

But good to do your own research, talk to your doctors, make your own decisions.

All the other things I was doing weren't working anymore. I tried it without the biologics, mostly because it took me a long time to find a doctor to dx and treat me. But that's all behind me now.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Hi Divarose,

I was on Humira for less than 6 months, and it made my knees swell up the two following days after I took it. I never felt any improvement from it, but I have rheumatoid.
My rheumatologist never pressures me to try any meds he just tells me what is available and recommends them to me.
Take care.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hello.

I did try it a few years ago. I know several people that it has helped immensely. I didn't tolerate it. I had an allergic reaction so I only had the one injection.

I would certainly give it a try if I were you.

Hope it helps quickly.

Blessings.

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

P
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Hello,
I'm currently on Humira 2 shots a month. Like previously mentioned, the 1st week is great and as it wears off it gets a bit worse.
I lost the burning in my shoulders and my hips. So, for me it is wonderful. It did not get rid of all my symptoms.
It makes it bearable but it isn't a cure. However, using it has made me decide NOT to go to the pain clinic anymore. It cuts the inflammation down that much for me (as opposed to masking the pain with drugs)
One problem is that it makes me feel so much better than I had that I do something and get totally wiped out for a couple of days.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
D
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
D
Wow, thank you to everyone for sharing your stories.

I will now definetly make the appointment with my doctor and have an indepth conversation about the drug.

All of your words/stories have helped me amensley.

Thank you once again

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Ok, I'm on Enbrel so slightly different drug but same principle really.
For me pros and cons of anti-TNF are :
- Pros :
* Drastic improvement of joint pain within 24 hours
* Drastic improvement of fatigue within a few days
- Cons :
* Get ill more often and illnesses are worse. A cold feels like the flu and the flu feels like you've been run over by the bus
* Very serious and scary side-effects (infections, MS, cancer...)
* Can't get live vaccines on it so inability to travel to certain countries
* Can't get pregnant on it
* Having to depend on a chemical drug to live your daily life

After 4 years on them I've decided to try and explore other routes so I can hopefully make do without them.

The decision is for you to make, you've got some personal opinions now to help you along,

All the best,
Marion

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 32 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM
Numb fingers, nerve pain
by Stevenage69 - 07/12/22 11:06 AM