Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pea Offline OP
Captain_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
I am coming out of a flare. Was just put on a higher dose of Prednisone for 10 days. My hand and wrist were so sore to even touch let alone use. I was hoping it would help my feet too but it hasn't. Starting at about four in the afternoon, they start to hurt and from there on out, it's pain, pain, pain. No matter what shoes, with or without my orthotics, what house shoes or even a soak in the tub does not help them. Anyone else have this happen. Does it ever go away. What has helped you?

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
H
H
My feet are painful pretty much all the time, but, like you, it gets worse in the late afternoon into the evening. The most helpful thing for me is gentle massage using "Rub On Relief", a natural pain-relief creme. I buy it on Amazon.

FYI- I live with very high inflammation & pain all over, and have tried zillions of pain cremes, rx & over-the-counter. My GI sys reacts negatively to just about any remedy, including even Tylenol & any topical creme with anti-inflammatories. But for some reason I'm able to tolerate & find some relief with the Rub on Relief.

I sure hope you can get some relief. I definitely feel for you.

AS 30+ yrs
HLA-B27 positive
Crohns (20 yrs of NSAIDS controlled AS but destroyed gut)
Chronic spontaneous tearing of tendons & ligaments; limited walking ability

Humira, LDN, LSD, L-Glutamine, multi-vit, vit d, vit c, adjustable bed, every pain patch and/or topical analgesic known to man, smile Nortriptyline for pain.
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
My feet are so much better now that I'm on Humira.

But back when they were at their worst, by far the best thing I could do for them was contrast baths:

hot as I could stand water for 1-2 minutes followed by ice cold water for 1-2 minutes, back and forth for 15-20 minutes, repeat several times a day.

ice second best.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
Hi Pea,

Sorry about your feet pain. I have the same issues. The hot bath helps but only for a short while. I either just live with it or if it gets real bad I use Volatren Topical Gel on the toes and ankles which helps with the throbbing. Keeping my feet warm with soft wool socks seems to feel better than cold aching feet. I wish there were something that took the pain away completely but haven't found anything like that yet. I will be interested with what others say. Thanks Sue for you advice, haven't tried that yet.

Pea, I hope your foot pain gets better. Hard to KickAS with sore dawgs. smile

I can not defeat you but I will not let you win

Jeff

Degenrative disc disease 2005
AS 2008 HLA-B27-
Fibromyalgia 2010
Disability 2012
Back to work part time 2013
Enbrel, Cymbalta,Oxycodone, blah blah blah blah
H
H
Almost forgot, the other thing that helps short-term is putting a microwaveable flaxseed/rice pack on my feet & legs.

AS 30+ yrs
HLA-B27 positive
Crohns (20 yrs of NSAIDS controlled AS but destroyed gut)
Chronic spontaneous tearing of tendons & ligaments; limited walking ability

Humira, LDN, LSD, L-Glutamine, multi-vit, vit d, vit c, adjustable bed, every pain patch and/or topical analgesic known to man, smile Nortriptyline for pain.
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
No other suggestions than have been made already. Feel for you as my feet have been horrid the past couple of months off the Humira. While I was on it, daily pain was lessened, but a long, hard shift at work would cause feet to hurt again. Getting off my feet at home after work would be all it took to ease the pain. Now, it's hurting all the time. All I have to suggest is cushy insoles inside cushy shoes. If your custom orthotics aren't cutting it, maybe your pedorthist (orthotist?) (orthotic doc?) can do something to make them more comforting (like a layer of cushy stuff on top, or gel injected in the layers). Hugs, Pea.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Pea Offline OP
Captain_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Thank's for all the good ideas. I end up wearing my flip flops for the cushion by the end of the day. I haven't tried the Voltaren Gel on my feet. I have some. I will try that tonight Ilbcrzn. Hot and cold contrast baths sounds like it's worth a try. If these don't work I'll try the Rub on Relief. I have put my heating pad on them but I will make some of the microwaveable rice packs for my feet to slip into this week.

That's a good idea too Rumble. I had hoped my ten day of being on prednisone would have helped my feet as well as my wrist but it didn't help my feet and my wrist is already hurting again. Darn disease. I had planned a girls trip for next year and have no idea how I will be able to tolerate a lot of walking.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
A
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
A
I seem to have many of the same problems. My Rheumy told me to keep all my joints warm, and to wear gloves to help my hands and wrists. I have Carpel tunnel in one wrist and OA with bone spurs in the other. I have been wearing gloves under my hand splints the that has helped. I use Voltarian Gel and keep socks on my feet. I have had to be careful about using heating pads because my PM put me on the Butrans patch and you have to stay away from heat with those.

Donna
Cherish your yesterdays,
Dream your tomorrows,
But live your todays.
Do the very best you can
leave the rest to God.
God Bless,
Originally Posted By: avonldy
I seem to have many of the same problems. My Rheumy told me to keep all my joints warm, and to wear gloves to help my hands and wrists. I have Carpel tunnel in one wrist and OA with bone spurs in the other. I have been wearing gloves under my hand splints the that has helped. I use Voltarian Gel and keep socks on my feet. I have had to be careful about using heating pads because my PM put me on the Butrans patch and you have to stay away from heat with those.

I'm really curious about the whole heat / ice thing. My doctors in general tell me to stay away from the heat because heat causes more inflammation while ice reduces inflammation?

With that said, I use a combo and use whatever seems to help the most. That's usually ice for tendonitis and SI, contrast hot and cold for hands and feet, and heat on my upper back (more for muscle spasms than anything else I think).

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
For me, heat will keep down some of the pain, but too much does increase inflammation. So, it's electric blanket on 'low' rather than '6', wool socks instead of cotton, gloves rather than none and a light throw over my knees in the winter. Ice has never done anything for me unless it's an acute injury/procedure.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM