Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cemc Offline OP
Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
C
I'm in an awful flare right now thats 7 pushing 8 on the (mankowski) pain scale. Its got me in tears several times a day. Focussed mainly on my lower back, with incredible amounts of pain in all my pelvic bones, particularly the iliac crest on both sides. I've had the heat pad on for hours, put voltaren gel liberally all over the area, taken maximum codeine with tylenol (cocodamol 30/500) and its just not letting up. Is there anything else I can do? I'm even considering taking NSAIDs even though they have wrecked my gut, its so bad. Can't take any more steroids as I've just had a course, and don't have any other antiinflammatory rheumatology treatments right now, and no sign of another rheumatology appointment in the near future. Am absolutely exhausted too, and can't get comfortable to sleep properly. Plus stressed (got an oral exam on Monday that I am not prepared properly for yet plus the reduncancy thing with no new job in sight yet).

Oh, and am already on low starch diet (no starch is too hard and doesn't give any better results) and don't want to fast as I feel too sick if I do that.

C
cemc Offline OP
Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
C
Sorry, should have added another question - any advice on how much moving (and what kind) I should be doing? - I'm quite sure that walking is really aggravating this - even just the 50 yards max I just did walking around our local shop for 5 minutes, though I know that sitting isn't good either. Can't seem to strike a balance.

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Oh, so sorry to hear about your pain!!

If it were me, I would be headed for my nearest hot springs resort for a hot soak and sauna (hot springs water is loaded with minerals absorbed through the skin while soaking). Along with a line up of fresh pressed green fruit/veggie juices. Oh, and maybe a raw cacao almond milk shake or two (loaded with magnesium, always makes my body feel better). And I would also take a high quality liquid fish oil.

Here in Oregon, this is my favorite hot springs to soak in, and the worlds best steam sauna, ever too! http://breitenbush.com/

I really hope you feel better soon!!!

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, cemc:

Yes HEAT is a great thing but best to bake in very hot sauna like 185-220F (the hotter it is the less time required of course) and alternate hot and cold at health spa perhaps--pool to Jacuzzi then sauna again.

Also, important to take the oils: EVOliveOil, but during a flare there is nothing so helpful as borage seed oil for effective GLA of 2g (many capsules) and this in addition to fresh wheatgrass juice (4-6oz) and after three or four days it should relent. Alternative is water-only fasting five or six days (if in a debilitating flare, You are ready for this!).

There are many other things that can be done, some I have less interest in discussing openly.

HEALTH,
John

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Most agreed! Love taking the alternating cold plunge after a hot sauna or hot spring soak. It makes my whole body feel refreshed, gets my blood and circulatory system moving too. The steam sauna I love is usually at 185, then right into a cold shower. Bliss every time!!

There is also a series of hot pools where I go, with an cold tub you dip in on the rotation through the pools that go warm to hot. Yeehaw!!

Last edited by bettyrawker; 10/05/13 05:54 PM.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Really sorry you are in so much pain...
I agree with the hot bath suggestion, you can try putting some soda bicarbonate or Epsom salts in it as well, it's meant to help relax and loosen up the tissues...
Hang in there !!
Marion

C
cemc Offline OP
Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
C
its going from bad to worse. My lower back has completely gone into spasm and I can barely move. Last time it was like this was nearly 10 years ago,and about a year before I got so bad I got to the housebound point. Got out of that by taking NSAIDs, but that isn't an option this time.

B
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
B
Amongst all other things, i find heat helps immensely. I'd be lost without a simple hot water bottle and my wheat bags.

Last edited by Buster; 10/05/13 09:26 PM.
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I alternate ice and heat. I also have Zanaflex for spasms which helps the pain a lot. I am very sensitive to it so I only take 1/4 of a tab.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
I know you don't want to take NSAIDS so they don't wreck your gut, but do you think they would do so if you just had a short course ? Just to get yourself over the worst of it ?
I don't like the idea of more drugs either but I hate to think of you in so much pain !!
Keep strong !
Marion

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 43 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
New recipe website from Janneke
by DragonSlayer - 05/10/22 05:03 PM