Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#493355 08/17/13 11:59 PM
W
wle1 Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
W
It should be called the no-starch, no refined sugars, no coffee, and no lactose diet.

Oh and I read somewhere that in addition to the above, we're supposed to avoid guar gum, maltodextrose, inulin, and caramel.
Why is that? Does this go for all synthetic sounding ingredients?

M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
Maltodextrin kills me. I can drink a large cup of coffee once in a while and do ok .. Guar gums and others get me down.
ETTE.
Darrel

Originally Posted By: wle1
It should be called the no-starch, no refined sugars, no coffee, and no lactose diet.

Oh and I read somewhere that in addition to the above, we're supposed to avoid guar gum, maltodextrose, inulin, and caramel.
Why is that? Does this go for all synthetic sounding ingredients?

It's true that some people have to go to more extreme lengths in order to effectively treat their AS symptoms via diet. You have to remember though that a forum like this tends to attract the worst cases. So you don't always hear much from the people who have come along, done a simple Low or No starch diet without other exclusions, improved their AS symptoms and gone on their way to enjoy life. Rather, you tend to see posts from the ones who are struggling with various issues. This doesn't necessarily mean they make up the majority - do you know what I mean?

Caramel is advised as something to avoid because the way caramel is produced makes the sugar very difficult to digest which can cause trouble for some.

Inulin also tends to ferment in the lower gut where the kleb live. Basically the kleb's preferred food source is starch but they can survive on 2ndary food sources - anything that will sit in the lower gut and ferment will feed them so that's why lactose and the other things you mention are something to be cautious about.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
I think there are a lot of people here that can eat dairy/lactose and coffee with no problem and just react to starch, so I think the name is appropriate.

If you ask a rheumatologist about your symptoms compared to another patient's symptoms he will say no two cases of AS look like. Mine has said that to me. We are all different and different foods affect us differently. So some can eat almost everything but starch while another can eat only fruits and veggies. I think our goal is the same to get better and not fuse, and live a full life with as little pain as possible.
Take care.

Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
I continue to enjoy coffee, dairy, and sugar. Maybe I could be 100% pain free if I avoided those, but I'm used to a little pain, and removing those items from my diet would be just too depressing. I once removed diary and the only result was that I lost a lot of weight. We each must find our own best diets.

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
yep. you can call it this way. i enjoy it a lot smile

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,898 hmmm