Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Didier Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
My understanding is that AS sufferers are at higher risk of heart disease and other circulatory problems due to the constant inflammation in the body.

Wikipedia states "Mortality is increased in patients with AS and circulatory disease is the most frequent cause of death"

My rheumatologist agrees, recommending I take Celebrex whenever I have any symptoms, to reduce the inflammation that would otherwise be contributing to heart disease long-term (ironic, I thought, considering Celebrex comes with warnings to use sparingly as cardiac problems are a possible side-effect)

What I am wondering is: won't the no-starch diet (the Carol Sinclair version), which encourages an increase in meat/cheese/egg consumption, further increase the risk of heart disease?

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, Didier:

Quote:
What I am wondering is: won't the no-starch diet (the Carol Sinclair version), which encourages an increase in meat/cheese/egg consumption, further increase the risk of heart disease?

My mother died from the combination of smoking and AS at the advanced age of 42: Aortitis, specifically.

There are at least three other heart-related conditions and even more circulatory conditions associated with AS, mostly due to inflammation. It is not unreasonable, if You are a physician and know (or admit to) no other way to reduce inflammation, to recommend NSAIDs--even safer selective types like Celebrex. However we do not know all the risks with this drug, either.

Personally, I have come to believe that bad cholesterols, for example, are produced by our liver in response to the ingestion of starches in quantity and the combination with meat fats causes more vascular constriction than either by itself. In 1918 many of our farm-boy soldiers who died in the Great War had aortic sectioning and it was seen the average blockage was severe--the mean was over 85% and 90% blockage was seen in many. It was thought that the poor meat-and-potatoes diet was the culprit, but that was not ever proven--with any precision.

I believe that the meats which should be increased in NSD are not necessarily 'red' meats, but fish, fowl, and even tofu; keeping beef and other higher-fat meats at the same or even reduced levels.

Bottom line, however, it is important to eliminate the inflammation and if this cannot be achieved through diet, the addition of certain drugs could be warranted: I like Enbrel, sulfasalazine (enteric-coated; Azulfidine-EN), and MTX better than any NSAID; I have a certain FEAR of these drugs because the non-selective type greatly accelerated my disease and this happened because of my improper diet--vegetarian (the LAZY kind who eats way too many grains and processed starches and not enough actual vegetables).

Drugs CAN kill us faster than the AS, but probably will not; but AS will certainly kill us much faster than our diets, especially if we make bad lifestyle choices.

HEALTH,
John

C
New_Member
New_Member
C
Hi Didier,
To reduce the risk of heart disease exercise regularly to reduce weight and sooth stress. Eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy products more in your diet meals and limit the amount of sodium. Avoid alcohol, smoking and caffeine and monitor your blood pressure regularly.

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Just a note on low fat products - they generally contain a ton of other unwanted ingredients - including starches - to thicken them. I would go with regular, natural products with only one or 2 ingredients. Low Fat products usually have a frighteningly long list of crap added to them to make them taste good again after the fat is removed.

D
Didier Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Agreed, I was asking mainly in the context of NSD where I would be avoiding whole grains, low-fat foods, etc.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!