Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488946 05/15/13 10:12 PM
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
Hi all need your advice please.

My daughter is not feeling so good. I think she is coming down with the flu but I am a little concerned given that she is on Methotrexate.
We had already planned on last nights dose being the last one because she has been having so much trouble with upset tummy and fatigue. But she is coming down with a nasty flu that has seen other family members quite sick and in bed for a week and needing anti biotics.

So I am a bit worried how sick she is going to get given the added issue of being on Metho. She was up most of the night coughing and has gone back to bed and not going to school today.

When should I take her to the doctor, if at all? And what things should I look out for? My understanding is that you can go downhill very quickly when you are on methotrexate. s this right?
I can only just walk a little with crutches and still can't drive yet so I need to have a plan of attack if I need to act quickly.
Many thanks.

Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
I would call her Rheumy and tell him the whole situation with her and with you and hopefully he will send out something without you taking her in. It's horrible I know to be laid up as a mum. Always have to have plans in place for this and that situation and it is really hard having children with A.S. as well. Oh woman, you sound like me at times, going through the ringer. Everything will be okay. Maybe her dad can take her if the Dr. won't prescribe.

Hugs

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, aussiegirl:

Quote:
When should I take her to the doctor, if at all? And what things should I look out for? My understanding is that you can go downhill very quickly when you are on methotrexate. s this right?

I am not certain that the MTX affects that part of the immune system used to fight off viruses. It is very important for her to keep hydrated and watch for fever. Most studies on MTX and influenza have been conducted on dosage level nearly 10X higher (cancer treatment) than we typically take. Certainly be aware of breathing issues and there should be zero tolerance for asthma-like symptoms; immediate trigger for physician contact either through family doc or at ER.

Whether we go downhill quickly depends upon the challenge; germ or virus or other.

Hope she does not suffer too long--I just got over some kind of flu contracted here in Philippines, so could be same strain--we have plenty of Aussies here about--only really bad for one day with sinus pressure and two days of that 'someone pulled the plug' feeling and couple of days of just not up to mincing about Gangam-style, so about five days off par.

HEALTH to both,
John

N
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
N
Hi AussieGirl,
I feel for you and your daughter. Perhaps you should go ahead and arrange for someone to take her to the doctor. Since your other family members illness's required antibiotics, it's a good chance she will too. Most likely it's the same illness. Also if she's coughing during the night, it sounds like it's getting worse. I hope you and she both feel better soon. Keep us posted. Hugs...Wanda

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!