Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Possi #487134 04/11/13 02:20 AM
P
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
I am curious about walkers. I will occasionally use my father's around my house just to try to push myself more upright smile
it also helps with getting around when I'm exhausted.

however, I have lost a lot of flexion with my wrists and they are very painful use them. Is there a walker that would allow you to push and guide it with your forearms? Does anyone know?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Pezami #487172 04/11/13 05:37 PM
Possi Offline OP
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I don't know. That is a good question. Might Google walkers and see what all comes up. I wouldn't be surprised if there is. There are so many cool things.

[Linked Image]

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

Possi #487179 04/11/13 09:12 PM
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
I have at various times used a stick, a stick with a moulded hand grip, a zimmer, a manual wheelchair, NHS crutches (horrible things!), nice crutches with moulded softgrips, and a mobility scooter. 8 years ago I did a sponsored 12 mile walk. Today I just make it down to the gate. I hated having to use a stick at first, but I made sure I got a really nice bright coloured one, and kind of treated it like an accessory. The wheelchair was the same - chose the colour to suit the kind of clothes I wear. I never liked the zimmer (too hospital-like), and the single stick just didn't support me enough. The basic bog-standard crutches hurt my arms too much. I finally got to a disability aids showroom and tried out a whole lot of different things, with a trained therapist advising me, and settled on crutches with the moulded soft grip, and thats what I still use on a daily basis.

I guess the big thing for me when I finally found mobility aids that worked for me, was that I realised it really did make me a lot more mobile with a lot less pain. Thats a pretty good incentive to use them. The other thing is that I feel like I get more funny looks when I am struggling to walk without them than when I use them. I do get questions about how I injured myself, and I just answer that by saying "its a permanent condition". Haven't had anyone ask much more than that. Apart from the crutches, I also make use of wheelchair assistance at airports, and hire mobility scooters when in town centres or shopping malls.

It really matters that you get aids that work for you, and trying out a number of different things, with the assistance of a trained therapist to make sure you are using them the right way and they are adjusted for you, is essential. Don't just settle for hospital gray either - all these things come in a huge variety of colours and styles now, and if you can even put a bit of "bling" on - I knew someone who glued diamantes to her black stick for evening use. Don't be afraid of big things like mobility scooters - they can make a huge difference to the comfort of going out. If you have the money, you can also get some pretty cool versions of them - I did see one once that was kind of like one of those "easyrider" trikes, and it was ridden by a well over retirement age female!

Possi #487180 04/11/13 09:13 PM
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
Pezami - just noticed your question. Yes, you can get walkers that are much higher, and you rest your whole forearms on them, so you aren't pushing down on wrists.

Possi #487185 04/11/13 11:15 PM
Possi Offline OP
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Thanks so much for your encouragement and ideas. I do need to get a more colorful cane for sure.

I appreciate you,

[Linked Image]

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

Possi #487196 04/12/13 01:55 AM
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
I knew I'd seen them - I found this walker that you rest your forearms on - very expensive, I'm sure there are other versions, this was just a quick search: http://www.activeforever.com/eva-support-walker

Possi #487197 04/12/13 02:04 AM
P
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Thanks for the link. I'll have to search around a bit because it is out of my price range. But, now I have an idea of what to look for.

It is kind of strange dealing with limited mobility in my wrists. My fingers are fine but my hands and wrists ache. If I could just have fingers at the end of my arm, I might be better off wink

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Possi #487659 04/21/13 09:28 PM
Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
My dear, you are going through so much. Darn Lupus on top of it all!! You get extra gentle hugs from me and you are allowing yourself some grace to use health aides and that is good. I believe most insurances and Medicade will pay for a scooter as well. Several people at our church use them and wow, they sure can navigate in tight spaces these days. Praying for you all the time.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
Possi #487664 04/22/13 01:00 AM
Possi Offline OP
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Thanks my flower friend....Sweet Pea. :o) Hope you have had a glorious weekend. The Lupus is not being friendly right now. Today I was out front with hubby and grand and I don't know what happened but I just fell right straight to the left and in to the corner of the house. Rock corners hurt me all the way down my back. It was like I just spaced out and fell straight. I imagine it is still the CNS Lupus but will be talking to the dr. for sure tomorrow.

Weird friend you have here.

[Linked Image]

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

Possi #487826 04/24/13 10:43 PM
Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
What did he say Possi? That happened to my mother one night. She felt to the left and kept listing off to the left all the way to the bathroom and back and went to the Dr. the next day thinking she had a TIA or something. They couldn't find anything. That just stink's. Use that walker sister and grab onto it.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM