Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#486123 03/25/13 07:53 PM
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
I am generally pretty good with staying starch free. I can eat starches with little or no effects for a week but if i keep it up for 2 or more weeks then you know the drill. Inflammation starts to build up.

Having said that, i am training for looong bike ride (180 miles in two days) I seem to be always falling short of energy. I need to carb load before long training days but meats and veggies don't cut it.

Does anyone feel the down side of starch free diet ?

M
mcm Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
M
i know nothing about endurance training but I thought carb loading was a myth, ie not necessary. I would have thought protein and fats would provide more sustained energy?

If I don't eat enough veggies I start feeling pretty yucky, maybe a low sugar thing. I will admit that there are days when I'm not prepared and I'm only eating spoon fulls of almond butter and hamburger patties and I can feel it. But a big bowl of veggies drenched in olive oil does me good.

Good luck on the bike ride- that is so inspiring even without having AS, but add spondy to it, wow!!

naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
I've read about people doing crossfit and Paleo and feeling the need to increase starches. Some carbs are starchy: grains, potatoes, etc. They stick to your ribs, compared to carbs that are not starchy, like spinach...right?
So, if people are doing lots of workouts, they eat some sweet potato...that's what I read. I just think that seems more healthy than eating food made with grains that have been turned into flour.
But maybe for some people with AS that approach would lead to more pain.
You just have to see what works for you, I think.
I just wonder if instead of starch loading, you eat a sensible portion of sweet potatoes at each meal before and after your training, I wonder how that would feel?
You'll know best, and then share with us here okay?
Good luck with your training!! Tell us about the bike ride!!

Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
Thanks for the input. I will be cycling along with thousands of other people for a fundraiser ride for Multiple Sclerosis. From Houston to Austin precisely.

Carb loading may be just a myth i am not quite sure. My boss is training for Ironman and he eats lots of carbs (grains, potatoes, rice, beans) and he is like an energizer bunny. On the other hand i am only eating meats and veggies.

I found out that foods like broccoli and raisins and certain drinks from sugar can have significant amount of carbs but in order to knock out 80-90 miles a day on a bike you need more complex carbs.

Who knows .. i will try different foods and see, all i know is that i can't eat starches for more than a few times a week or i start to flare up.

I try not to let AS run my life (everyones level of progression is different). I am fortunate enough that i can still exercise pretty heavily.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited by goztepe2002; 03/26/13 09:55 PM.
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Simpler carbs like honey and fructose just don't have the long burning energy. Meanwhile I can actually crash pretty badly on most fatty / high protein foods. So I was actually having real issues with energy levels..

I use amylopectin when I need to do lots of exercise AKA glutinous rice - which has no amylose starch!!! I try to avoid it at other times due to candida. For endurance and fighting fatigue nothing beats it as far as what I have seen.

Could try dates and other dried fruits I suppose..

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
B
B
Im also sporty and I lose weight with the NSD.
Thats a very bad side effect for me.

How can I get more carbs for more calories?

I hate losing weight and muscles smirk

C
New_Member
New_Member
C
Goztepe and Boxer,

I ride a lot and I can manage fine doing a 200k ride on no starch. For a long ride I eat eggs, bacon, fruit and yoghurt before I go, then I take fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts and coconut cakes with me. If I am doing more than about 4 hours, then I will generally have to stop half way and eat something in a restaurant or buy something from a supermarket. The other thing I do is take electrolytes (like Nuun) for example, which gets you the important stuff from energy drinks to stop you cramping without the starch.

I generally drink half and half orange juice with water or coke with water.

The way I see it, complex carbs are just lots of simple carbs tied together and ultimately to get energy out of them, they need to be broken down into sugar. So on the NSD, you have to get energy more directly from monosacharides (sugar) and disacharides (like fructose which is fruit sugar). It means that you need to eat a lot more regularly than someone who can eat starch, so on the bike on a long ride I eat every half hour.

Regards,
Charlie

Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: CharliePorto

The way I see it, complex carbs are just lots of simple carbs tied together and ultimately to get energy out of them, they need to be broken down into sugar. So on the NSD, you have to get energy more directly from monosacharides (sugar) and disacharides (like fructose which is fruit sugar). It means that you need to eat a lot more regularly than someone who can eat starch, so on the bike on a long ride I eat every half hour.

Regards,
Charlie

true, the difference is that the starch is slowly to digest and thus it makes it more proper for a sustained effort.

for those on NSD/LSD the best solution is to have more meals (even if they are smaller) in order to keep the blood glucose in check when they exercise.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 54 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM