Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TGDoula Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
T
I am not in here often, I have SO much going on these days with three young kids/babies.
I'm really trying to zero in on issues I have with breastfeeding. I have a clear hormonal disruption and display symptoms of PCOS and/or progesterone deficiency and estrogen dominance. I have a lot of symptoms of hypothyroidism but tests come back WNL.
That said, I'm really curious as to how AS might play a role in my overall health. I recently read an article regarding AS and how it frequently causes cystic breasts and leaky gut. I suffer from gastritis flare ups frequently and most especially in the few months postpartum. I suspect cystic breasts. But more to the point, I have a very difficult time with breastfeeding. I'm on to my 3rd baby and my IBCLC estimates that I'm producing around 10-15 ounces a day. Trust me when I tell you that I have tried everything to boost supply. Clearly there is an underlying issue with hormones. My breasts have all indications of IGT (insufficient glandular tissue), BUT, I'm curious if any other moms with AS have had a hard time with breastfeeding. I'm curious if the chronic inflammation makes it difficult for whatever reason for my body to produce. I've heard of women with other types of autoimmune disorders having a hard time with milk production.
Sorry for the ramblings.. I'm seven weeks postpartum and trying, once again, to find a few answers.
Thanks!

Mom of a fiery 3 year old boy, a sweet 1 year old lady baby, and a our newest little man, born December '12.

Diagnosed at age 22 in 2005. Handling all symptoms holistically through diet and chiropractic after suffering several side effects from pharmaceutical medications early on.
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Hiya.. Congrats! Babies are FUN!
I've had milk issues too. Never been determined why. Some I had plenty at first but by fourth month, things dried up. Could be hormonal cuz I usually started my period pretty quick after birthing. Could be low thyroid (I have autoimmune hashi's), could be stress, diet, spondy, who knows. I don't think anyone really knows. This time around, I am pretty sad to be losing my milk due to high stress.

I found a baby formula supplement recipe on Nourishing Traditions book & website that is MUCH better than the store bought formula. A lotta work each day, but seems to be worth it. Bubs seems to be doing well on it. He had a lot of gas while nursing. Probably due to gall bladder issues I seem to have.

Anyway, not much help here. I don't think the mysteries of our bodies will ever be fully known! Give chewy kisses to your little one!!

~ Trudi: homeschooling mom to 6: 16,14,11,9,7, 6 mos

Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
I had trouble w bf but more because of misshapen hardware LOL..not really supply. .I always used fenugreek sprinkled on toast w butter to up supply. Are u on that already? Good luck!! Wish I could help more!

Jamie, 40
AS / psoriasis
Enbrel weekly injection
Tramadol, Flexeril and Hydrocodone as needed

T
TGDoula Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
T
I make big babies- 9lbs, 10lbs 2oz and my latest was 11lbs 3oz (the last two were born at home smile. They just seem to need more than smaller babies. They do well on for the first four days, but as soon as their stomachs get bigger, they need more than I can provide. My supply just does not grow with them.

We actually have had great success finding donor milk for our babies. I used goat milk with brown rice syrup for my first with some donor milk, but my daughter had almost nothing but donor milk her entire first year.

I don't expect to ever understand. I wish I could just find an owner's manual on my body. I suppose I'm just curious if I'm the only one with AS who's come up against this. I know hormones play a big part though. So many pieces of the puzzle.

Mom of a fiery 3 year old boy, a sweet 1 year old lady baby, and a our newest little man, born December '12.

Diagnosed at age 22 in 2005. Handling all symptoms holistically through diet and chiropractic after suffering several side effects from pharmaceutical medications early on.
T
TGDoula Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
T
Fenugreek does nothing. I've taken it at max dose.. and it always gave me and my babes gas. Trust me.. I've tried it all.. there is not a single golactagogue I haven't given a trial run or taken long term over the last three babies. Nothing works. I just get what I get. I pump and take metformin to try to control my PCOS and a high dose of cal/mag seems to help more than anything else. I eat a ton of oats with brewers yeast, flax and chia seeds and that helps more than just about anything else.. but it's not much more. It just is what it is with me.
Totally frustrating. smirk

Last edited by TGDoula; 02/05/13 03:11 AM.

Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
HI and congratulations on your new little one - you too, Trudi!....

Just putting my hand up as yet another poor milk-cow... frown

Don't know how much was due to underlying AI issues but it certainly wasn't helped by having a baby who was disinterested in feeding from the get-go. He was not a lot more interested in comp feeding or indeed solid food - now aged 17 and still has no real interest in food.

I tried everything to get my supply up - regular expressing, including setting an alarm and getting up in the middle of the cold dark night, took Maxolon and made goat's rue tea - luckily I have a big herb garden - both medicinal and decorative and just happened to have a healthy crop of it - tasted foul and nothing seemed to help pep up the supply.... wondered if I would have done better with a HUNGRY BABY.....???

Baby #2 was born at 33 weeks, so again I started with a baby who was not a strong sucker. I expressed religiously, she was eventually a slow and patient feeder, but not one of those piranhas that some of my friends had. Again I had to comp her from the early days and give up on the dwindling supply when she was 4 months (corrected age).

Certainly no lack of committment on my part - very disappointed...

My mother also struggled maintaing an adequate supply for all her 3 babies, as did my sister, yet we were all psychologically 110% committed to BF.

At the end of the day, you can only do what you can do and know that you gave your baby the best start that you could.
hugss

Louise

Happy to be a physio by day, not happy to be a Spondy 24/7! wink3
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I didn't have any problem with production. I had a very hungry 9 pound baby, and she nursed for 2 years. She used to always say MILKS TIME, MILKS TIME! ha ha. Yep, she loved drinking from the tap.

I also have Hashi's and AS. Seems they go hand in hand, Ugh.

V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Congrats. I used a supplement called fenugreek and I bought it at GNC. I had a staph infection in my breast and had to stop nursing my newborn. I took antibiotcs and it cleared up but I had no milk, so I started taking fenugreek and all my milk came back and that was after 3 weeks of not nursing at all. That is the only thing I can think of and also check out earthclinic.com they always have natural remedies for ailments.Take care and CONGRATS!!!!!

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 88 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM