Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#478870 10/24/12 02:39 AM
OP Offline
Hey guys,
Just trying to school up and get prepared for a new try at starch free, as low starch isn't working for me.

I'm just so confused about tomatoes though. It appears that all forms of cooked tomatoes contain starch, and tinned tomatoes seem to have starch too, and tomato paste (based on iodine tests). Carol Sinclair says that the longer you cook a lot of veges the more starchy they become.

But looking around here it seems a lot of recipes contain tomatoes that you cook, or tinned tomatoes.

So are they starchy, or just a little starchy so safe for most?

Cheers,
Emily

Diagnosed March 2012
First symptoms December 2011
31 years old
Determined to change my poison into medicine!
Runner, stamp collector, cat lover, cheese lover
A
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
They aren't usually that starchy, but they are nightshade vegetables. Nightshade vegetables can be problematic for some people because they seem to promote inflammation.

Mike / 35yo / HLA-B27+ / diagnosed with AS march 2012 / Dermatographic Urticaria since 2017
FODMAP diet, Enbrel, Meloxicam, Tramadol PRN, Xolair for chronic hives.
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Tomatoes are so so so inflammatory for me! Just thinking about them makes my tummy hurt, okay not quite that extreme, but close.

I can eat almost all fruits & veggies excpet tomatoes, oranges, and now strawberries. They just flare up my colitis. It's the wrost. I would rather eat a huge bowl of "starch pudding" rice, potatoes, corn then eat a bowl of tomato soup!

But that is just me! I still love to eat other nightshades like bell peppers & hot peppers, but never again a tomato.

-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
A
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
A
i can eat tomatoes with no reaction..
it seems like everyone is a little bit different here with what makes them flare. i will share my personal experience and that is that the diet has just now started working for me. i did low starch for a few months.. no results, than i went very very strict no starch for about a month.. seemed to get worse. than back to low starch, and its finally working! its been since the beginning of june since i started messing with my diet, and i dont know why.. but it seems like suddenly something kicked in. hope you start feeling some relief soon!

kelly

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I had a horrible time with nightshade veggies, tomatoes being top of the list, and also highly 'reactive' to strawberries (interesting Betty, touche!). So stayed well away from them for a very long time. Can now tolerate tomatoes and can eat strawberries. Though continue to be careful - not too many!

Yes. We are all different. Nowt set in concrete...

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
I never have issues with tomatoes fortunately (raw, cooked or canned). But some do, so this will be a personal for you as well.

There are several fringe foods as I call them... some can handle them, others cannot.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Based on my personal history and what I've researched through these forums, nightshade vegetables & other low-starch foods (LSD) a.k.a. fringe foods can be tolerated based upon the level of your gut healing. In fact, I suggest trying them every couple of months to test how well your gut is healing.

The exception to this rule are for those, like Andrea, who have a full-on flares with the fringe food(s) after starting NSD / LSD for 6 months.

My Autoimmune Blog - Ups & Downs with NSD & SCD, the NEED for Meat and STARCHES, and the Effects of Getting Off Enbrel (biologic) and Going on Humira: http://100percenthealth.us/
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for your input - I'm less confused now smile

I like Tim's simple way of putting it - a fringe food indeed.

Diagnosed March 2012
First symptoms December 2011
31 years old
Determined to change my poison into medicine!
Runner, stamp collector, cat lover, cheese lover

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)