Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473800 07/21/12 02:31 PM
B
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Hello every body.
Can anybody tell me about thier experience with "fringe foods", that are defined as dangerous for some people on the AS food guide? (Onions, asparagus, avocado, tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, garlic, carrots). Trying to figure out if i can survive on NSD, and taking these out, makes it worse...:(
Thanks again for your help,
BMAN

bcho1971 #473810 07/21/12 11:18 PM
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Here's my personal experience:

Onions - I think I'm OK, but don't eat.
Asparagus - Definite no-no for me.
Avocado - Previously, I had very mild reactions. This year, I'm having no problems with them. smile
Tomatoes - Mildly starchy. Avoid. Plus, they're a nightshade, and some schools of thought believe that nightshade's contribute to arthritic conditions.
Cabbage - OK. Avoid the cores. The core's can be starchy.
Cauliflower - Unfortunately, I found these to be starchy. Other people seem to have good luck with this.
Zucchini - Mixed bag. Early on in my diet, I cooked with zucchini, but I got sick of buying some zucchini which tested positive for starch, while others tested negative. It was frustrating. I've dropped it.
Garlic - Definite OK for me. I've been known to eat whole bulbs in one meal. Not for the faint of heart. I will not eat garlic powder. Just the real mccoy.
Carrots - Nope. Most root vegetables are starchy.

Good luck!

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
bcho1971 #473821 07/22/12 07:37 AM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Never had any trouble with any of the things on that list.

Avoiding vegetables etc. like these ones simply doesn't leave anything that you can actually eat. The diet is close to impossible when you try and restrict so much I have found.

bcho1971 #473884 07/23/12 06:13 AM
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I have been eating very low starch for the past 9 months, but was already years into doing gluten free, dairy free, no processed sugar, and also avoiding soy, corn, etc for many years. So I responded very quickly to the last missing link which was no starches like rice or potatoes for me.

Anyhow, I eat:

Avocados, Zucchini, Squash, Garlic & Carrots daily with no problems. I also eat lots of cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, mangos, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, coconut, cherries, dried seaweek, ginger, raw chocolate, pears, lemons, limes, soaked almonds, soaked walnuts, dried cranberries, soaked/ground sunflower seeds, ground sesame tahinni, fermented pickles, lettuce/greens, kale, hemp seeds, chia seeds...

Cabbage, onions, asparagus sometimes. I only use cabbage & onions sparingly. Seems like it is very easy for me to overdue it with onions and cabbage.

Tomatoes never, they cause my insides so much inflammation, same with organes and strawberries frown

But if you are currently in a lot of pain, its a good idea to fast or stickto a very simple diet and slowly add different foods in to see which ones cause reactions for you.

-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
bcho1971 #473885 07/23/12 07:00 AM
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Every single one of those fringe foods is NOT tolerated by somebody here (I think Alinus & I put together probably would cover the list) while being just for someone else (e.g. bettyrawker does wonderfully on a fresh-fruit-and-vegetable-heavy low-starch diet).

Rather than focusing on how other people do with these foods you already know are marginal, it's best to get your experimental method going in order to determine if *you* can eat each one of these foods.

My doctor explained the elimination diet method to me years ago, for the purpose of figuring out food allergies (before the improved food allergy tests came along) and that has been really useful in tuning my diet. The key was not to eat *any* of the marginal foods at first, and also remove ones to which I was allergic (found via blood test). Had to be patient, and reach a lower level of inflammation on the base diet, since it is so hard to tell small changes in inflammation when in a flare. Then when feeling better, still had to be patient, and introduce at most one thing per week. Just about every time when I've tried two or three things in a week I have later regretted it, ended up not being totally sure of the effects and had to redo the foods individually.

Also try not to be too biased by how good things taste, don't sabotage your efforts by talking yourself into thinking something is ok when it is not -- if it is marginal then reserve it for a very occasional treat (though if you eat a bunch of marginal foods the same day you'll probably regret it); if it is worse than marginal, then put it on a list of things to try again after you have improved.

So don't despair over having a horribly boring diet at first, as long as you're careful not to starve yourself and take supplements as needed to prevent deficiencies. There will be more options that can be added in later, it's just really hard to predict which will be the best for you without doing the careful experiments. And, if you make mistakes early on, it's easy to get discouraged and consider the whole diet thing a bust.

bcho1971 #473887 07/23/12 07:21 AM
B
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Thanks !

B
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Thanks !

bcho1971 #473889 07/23/12 09:08 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: bcho1971
Hello every body.
Can anybody tell me about thier experience with "fringe foods", that are defined as dangerous for some people on the AS food guide? (Onions, asparagus, avocado, tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, garlic, carrots). Trying to figure out if i can survive on NSD, and taking these out, makes it worse...:(
Thanks again for your help,
BMAN

i believe you should experiment yourself.
i know people who do well on all those, or people who would avoid at least 2-3 things from your list, and i for more than 1 year i was unable to eat everything there except carrots. it's not the case now fortunately, but mine is a more complicated situation.

so, selfexperimentation, a good food diary to follow your reactions to those foods, introducing them one at a time in order to see how you react to them is best i believe. yours is a unique bowel flora, most probably the reactions are unique also.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
Alinus #473891 07/23/12 01:58 PM
B
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Thanks again. How long does it take one to react ?

bcho1971 #473901 07/23/12 02:54 PM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
for me it takes between 12 to 72 hours. keeping a food diary and introducing only one aliment per week will help a lot solving this puzzle.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM