Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
Hi,
This is my first post and would like opinion from you people regarding my problem. I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with AS 10 years back(although 17 years back i was diagnosed with Rheumatic fever). From last 10 years I was on homeopathic medicines and was very fine, but recently my both knees are affected with huge swelling and pain. Homeopathy was not able to help me so I went to a rheumy who prescribed me sulphasalazine and Zempred. Although they reduced the pain but my swelling comes and goes in a regular interval i.e. 3 days on and 4 days off in a week. Now I am planning to have a child and as what I have learnt about sulphasalazine is that it reduces sperm count. I am very much worried because neither can I stop this medicine nor the desire for a child. Can anyone help me to identify any natural herbs/food/supplement which can atleast negate this particular side effect of sulphasalazine. Since in my country doctors don't give you much insight into the medicine nor you can question them much. So please help me...

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello manutripathi:

I don't know that the edema is associated with sulfasalazine.

But I can tell You that AS begins in the gut, and it is only here that an ultimate resolution can be achieved.

It is more likely that the AS is getting worse; this is a symptom associated with AS, especially when it is caused by a reactive arthritis.

Begin the strictest NSD and if You can find a physician to help follow something similar to my AP for AS then You will soon put a stop to these cycles.

In fact, when I had severe knee edema, it was a warning of more serious digestive problems--like 'septic hip' or 'megacolon;' best sometimes to just treat it by fasting

HEALTH,
John

M
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
Hi Dragon,
Thanks for your comments, but I would like to know one thing, as you said that my AS might be getting worse but I do not have any stiffness,pain in my spine or lower back, regions which are considered the main attack point of the disease(this is what I know and it might be wrong)?Secondly I am a vegetarian, will that also have any effect ?

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, manutripathi:

You are correct, the main attack points in men with AS is lower back and lumbar spine, however, sometimes the damage continues without much pain or seeming restrictions. Inflammation and the edema is, rather, a sign of advancing or improperly treated disease.

Vegetarianism is guaranteed to make AS much worse. I was one for 22 years, due in part to bad information about rheumatic disease and meat consumption.

HEALTH,
John

A
Active_Member
Active_Member
A
Hi Manu
I have been taking sulphasalazine (saaz)from 2009 (stopped june 2012) . Does not have much of side effects except for mild headaches and throat pain (sometimes). I mean i haven't felt any. But then for me it did not provide any relief also. This treatment line has been debated a lot, but i think its person to person dependent.
The edema in the knees, i too have it at present in left knee. At present i am not on saaz or any medication. The edema comes and goes. I do not have any idea why it happened, except that it did trigger after i had slipped once.Of course my condition now is flared .. hasn't subsided since may 12.
Being a vegetarian, its tough to do a NSD. Sometimes i do feel controlling diet helps in reducing the flare, sometimes i feel it dose not. In short i haven't been able to nail up some vegetarian diet that is Indian and able to sustain AS.
Effect on the spine and lower back isn't mandatory. I had a relatively pain free period till from 2002 to 2008, and after it has been a frequent and it was frequent before.
Haven't provided any answers to your points, but tried to share some of my views/

M
mig Offline
M
Hi manutripathi and welcome to KA.

Quote:
Now I am planning to have a child and as what I have learnt about sulphasalazine is that it reduces sperm count. I am very much worried because neither can I stop this medicine nor the desire for a child. Can anyone help me to identify any natural herbs/food/supplement which can atleast negate this particular side effect of sulphasalazine.

I doubt there is any sort of herb/food/or supplement that can negate the effect ssz may have of reducing sperm count. Aside from your knee problems, since you describe your AS as doing fairly well right now, without stiffness or pain in your spine - perhaps ask your doctor if you could safely take a break from this medication while you try for a child? Either that, or wait for a few months to see if your knee recovers, and then consider taking a medication break when the risk to your knee joints would be less.

Best of luck!

M
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
Thank you all for the information... let's see what is in fate..

Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
Since your counts are low, can they go in surgically and take some of the sperm and have it in-planted into your wife?

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
I have been on sulphasalazine for two years. I have suffered no side effects other than my pee is REALLY yellow.

The doctors never mentioned anything about low sperm count to me, nor have I ever read anything about it. I am certainly not using my sperm to make babies anyway since this is a heritable disease.

Also homoeopathic medicines are only water. Of course they do not work, it is only a placebo effect. It is a disgrace that these sort of things can be sold as 'medicines' to unsuspecting people.

Phil

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 36 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM