Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
Oppened my internet and my home page is yahoo7. I always have a quick look at the news headlines and this is where I saw a report on gogi or goji berries. I have heard of them before but never realy looked into it.

The report was about the use of these berries in helping prevent blindness in diabetics. Having some close friends with diabetes I lookid into it further and found gogi berries are also used to help the immune system.

What I found in my reaserch is that these berries help regulate the immune system by helping it identify the good from the bad and therefore helping with auto immune diseases including AS.

So my questions are.
Has anyone here tried these?
Were they of any help?
And does anyone know if there is anything to look out for as in side effects etc?
Any other info you culd provide would be good.
Thanks

K
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
K
Hi Aussiegirl,

Yeah I have tried them. They are a very common part of Chinese cuisine, but because I'm an overseas Chinese, they're not as abundant where I live so we eat them only now and then.

We put them in soups and teas. I don't really know if they're making any difference since we eat a lot of other healthy stuff as well.

It wouldn't hurt to try them. Please report back if you notice a difference in your health:-)

Kristine

Diagnosed December 2011
Methotrexate 5 tablets a week
Super Nutrition Multivitamin for Women
Magnesium, Ester C, Super B-Complex
NSD, no nightshades, no nuts, no dairy, very little sugar
Naproxen 500mg when needed
Acupuncture, Chinese herbs
Active_Member
Active_Member
I love gogi berries. I add them to yoghurt, cereal and just eat them as a snack. I also buy the juice and drink a couple of ounces in morning. Not sure if it does anything but it is very healthy

When you live with chronic pain, you never tell the truth. When someone asks you how you are or how you feel, you lie & say, I'm fine or I'm OK, & you smile.
Great article on these "superfruits":

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4086

$44/bottle or whatever they charge these days is a bit rich.

Timo
Active_Member
Active_Member
Yes the juice is pricey but the bottle usually takes a month to drink. You dont drink it like a regular glass of juice its only a shot glass full every morning. So really the price is not to bad when you think of it. Its not a weekly expense

When you live with chronic pain, you never tell the truth. When someone asks you how you are or how you feel, you lie & say, I'm fine or I'm OK, & you smile.
If one is drinking it just as a juice, it is horribly expensive but if one is drinking it for their claimed health benefits then know that science has not caught up with those yet.

Quote:
Be wary when it comes to health claims related to goji. So far, many of the studies showing the most promising results have been industry-sponsored, and few have been of sufficient quality to allow for real conclusions to be drawn. Also keep in mind that, while the berry and its juices are antioxidant-rich, there are numerous other options on the market (blue-berries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries) that are grown close to home, and at a fraction of the cost.

Reining in health Claims about Goji berry

Timo
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
I have always been highly sceptical of these sorts of things... the prices are SO high.

You look at the list of claimed health benefits and the list is massive. When they make so many claims (it is good for this, it is good for that, is it number 1 food for this) it seems pretty obvious that few/none of them are actually true.

Add a few high profile celebrities (like Oprah for açai berries) to support them and you have the perfect scam to rip-off desperate consumers. Oprah may have enough money to be ripped off by these sort of things and not even notice, but the rest of us don’t.

C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
It definitely was the "superfood of the year" a while back and as such was promoted strongly by "health food" shops and businesses.

I think one thing to remember about this kind of stuff is that if you take it in therapeutic doses, rather than normal dietary quantities, then you are open to just as many side effects, if not more (because of difficulties in knowing toxic limits), than any other drug.

If you are giving it a go as part of a normal diet, then I'd say worth doing.
If you were wanting to take it at higher dosages, then I'd try and find out what the "active" component of it was, and what kind of side effects that would be likely to cause. Also with your heart problems, you may want to check with your GP first.
If you don't have many or any other options, then that adds weight to trying it.
If it costs a lot for the dose you would require, then I think I personally would prefer to go the route of much cheaper supplements (some of the omega oils, etc).

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i've thought about the goji berries, but am always leery of possible acidity. like pomegranite juice is too acidic for me.

does anyone know how they are for the stomach, if one has gastritis that one must keep in check?

so, in answer to your question, don't know. but a lot of the supplements my rheumy has me on are for the reason that you described. those most likely to do what you suggest would be:

fish oil
vitamin C

and then of course, the LDN.

and then i try to eat lots of veggies and as much fruit as my blood sugar allows to continue in "supporting the immune system".

and maybe the acupuncture, but the juries still out on that one.

and i think one of the things that exercise is maybe doing.

it all seems to add up and be helpful. yes, i still flare, but so much better in between.

but, i do think its always worth researching and then doing your own experiments. if it doesn't pan out, all you've wasted is some money. but at least you can cross it off your list. and if it does work, well, then you got something.

i personally don't think any one of these things is the panacea, but, if it all adds up, then worth it.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Steel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker
Thanks for the replies. Always good to get all sides of the story.
If I find any localy that are not too expensive I will give them a go but not going to go out of my way.
Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 35 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM