Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#467357 04/15/12 02:17 AM
S
seb Offline OP
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Whatup everybody!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm 19 years old and have had AS for about 4 years now. It certainly feels like it to me that I am perhaps entering the advanced stages of the disease. We all know what it feels like living with this so there's no real point in elaborating.

I played my first game of football today for the new season for an under 21 club and boy it felt great. Physically it was incredibly difficult but the mental satisfaction of completing a game and really holding my own is an amazing feeling. My team ended up winning and I scored 2 goals. I may have this crippling disease but you would never know it.

I'm just curious to see what people may think about playing football in my stage of AS? I definitely play through the pain and afterwards, my joints are amazingly sore and stiff. I think this is very relate-able to the condition you are in before the game. If I'm in a flare, the pain is going to be so much worse but if I'm feeling okay (quite rare), it's not too bad.

Is a reasonably high impact sport like this going be beneficial or detrimental to someone suffering from arthritis? I would hate to give it up but I understand it is important to look out for my health in the best way possible.

Thanks for any advice!!

seb #467360 04/15/12 02:33 AM
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Sounds liberating Seb! I would have loved to have been there to cheer you on! I raced BMX in my youth, and was always very active playing softball, dancing, roller skating, etc. I find lack of activity worsens my pain.

Do your doctors give the thumbs up to football? Risks are always going to come with a full contact sport, but if they say it's okay, I'd say as long as you feel you benefit from it, do it! However, pamper yourself plenty after games, and give heed to your doctors recommendations if they tell you to lay off occasionally.

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
seb #467365 04/15/12 02:46 AM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i don't know. i'd see what your doctor thinks and see how you feel.

i wouldn't think "advanced stages of disease". i know when i'm in a flare, i feel like my whole body is just as bad as a body could be, then i'm over the flare and realize, its just how one feels in a flare. or another analogy, when my gastritis first hit, i was doubled over in pain, sure that no one could be in that much pain and not actually die from it, but i didn't even have an ulcer, "just" inflammation. its amazing how bad inflammation can feel and yet, not really be that "advanced".

as for the football again, i know if i fall and hurt myself, i know that puts me into a flare. so be careful that the impact doesn't cause your body to flare. or if i were to fall in a sport, afraid what it might do to my SI joint, so i don't ice skate, nothing where falling was just part of it. also, don't know how good that high impact is to the spine.

just something for you to think about: i've seen a number of programs, read a number of articles about how bad (american) football is for everyone. how years later, these players have a lot more brain damage, arthritis, etc. just something to think about.

if you re talking about what the rest of the world calls football, what we americans call soccer, then i'd think all of that constant moving around might be good for your body.

as with many things, i'd pass it by your doctor.

glad you enjoyed yourself though! smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
seb #467376 04/15/12 04:00 AM
Seb,

That is SO awesome and I am so proud of you for going ahead with your dreams despite the fact that your body may not always agree with you!

Just be as careful as you can...as a Mom my first thought would be I really dont want you playing but as long as your as careful as you can be and take precautions to help your body heal between the games then I would feel a bit better!

Keep us updated!

Lisa

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

seb #467499 04/16/12 03:06 AM
Congrats on the 2 goals.

Exercise is great for AS if you can tolerate it. My 2nd rheumy encouraged me to workout at gym circuit weight training, swimming, exercise cycling... did a world of good keeping fusion at bay.

Take care,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
seb #468001 04/23/12 08:15 AM
S
seb Offline OP
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Hi Sue and everybody else.

The football that I'm talking about is what Americans call soccer. I don't think I would ever be able to play American football even without AS, it's such an intense sport!

I'm also coaching a junior football (soccer) team and am thoroughly enjoying it. the kids really look up to you as a role model and that's just me doing my bit to put back into the community. Football is probably a medium impact sport so it is not devasting on the joints like sports such as rugby and american football. It makes me feel great and I think I will continue to play for as long as I can.

thanks for the messages

seb #468025 04/23/12 04:23 PM
that's a relief! cheerleader

yes, you had me worried, as rugby and american football are not really good for even the "healthiest", at least all i've been hearing about american football. but soccer, would think all that running around to be a good thing.

maybe take it easy when you flare, but otherwise, enjoy! roll

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 33 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable