Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#464510 03/08/12 12:48 PM
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
So I'm curious, does anyone else suffer flare ups around their menstrual cycle?? I'm finding I flare up severely that the pain doesnt stick around in my pelvis it attacks my ribs front and back and chest plate also. I feel like something heavy is sitting on my chest. Is this common?? Why does life have to be so difficult!?!

26yrs old, mother of 3 gawjus babies and wife to a fantastic supportive husband.
2011- Dx with AS and sacroillitis and slight curvature of the spine. After been misdiagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis since 13yrs old.
2012- Dx with fibromyalgia
Seem to have tried all the NAIDS under the sun and still no relief
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i'm in menopause now.

but i started having the inflammatory arthritis problems around the same time i started going through perimenopause.

and yes, for me, definitely, seemed to cycle with my periods. my SI joint was going to be inflamed about 2-3 days into my period. some months worse than others.

since it still cycles, i wonder if even though i'm menopausal now, if there are still cycling hormones.

my rheumy and i are trying to figure out what is still causing my flares. he keeps asking me about allergies as a possibility. i wonder about stress as well?

but really the only connection i absolutely made were to my female hormones.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Hello there,

There is a Women's forum if you have "women" only question you would like to ask discretely. There is also a "mens" forum, but it not too active and need the other chromosone to gain access.

Ask Admin and they can set you up.

New Kickers generally do not know most of the time there are these private forums (cannot see them until access).

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
L
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Hi there,

If you believe in the no starch diet theorum as I do, you will find that around the time of your menstrual cycle most women tend to over indulge on comfort foods. For example, I have been feeling 100% for a while now on the NSD, and just last week I ate an entire Lindt chocolate bar because it was about a week before my menstrual cycle and I was craving it! I suffered a minor flare due to that mistake. I got over it easily because I quickly learned my lesson and kept my diet clean for the rest of the week.

Hope you get over your flare!

Lauren S.
W
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
W
Yes, I'm suffering with SI flare up along with ribs flaring right before my period. I was told I could go on hormones to help decrease the chance of flaring before my period. I opted not to take the drugs but may reconsider my decision. You are not alone!

Meds -Hizentra, leflunomide, Prednisone
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
Back when I was having periods, the week or two before was when I felt more achey and generally awful. As soon as my period showed up, I felt drained but otherwise great. Then it would build up again.

Micki
Mom to 9
Dx'ed Ocular Herpes, Sept. '08
Dx'ed AS May '09, suffering on and off since 1979
Dx'ed Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma May '08, relapse Oct '11
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Does anyone know if our female hormones play a part in when we flare?? I've heard that when u are pregnant that it in remission because of all the hormones is this true?? I want to have another baby next year but I'm panicking incase the flares get worse, it would just get to much I think. My dear husband was wondering if hormone replacement would help stop flares as in what ever hormones ur body produces while pregnant could be replaced after u have bubs?? Sounds stupid but has got me thinking, even though I'm 26yrs the next bub I have will be my last due to too many ceasarians so I was thinking of opting for my tubes to be tied and maybe HRT if that would help the flares. I'm hormonal enough around my menstrual cycle and when the flares start I am one cranky wife and mummy :-)

26yrs old, mother of 3 gawjus babies and wife to a fantastic supportive husband.
2011- Dx with AS and sacroillitis and slight curvature of the spine. After been misdiagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis since 13yrs old.
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
Sarah, I have heard that as well, but based the experiences of other women here and on other boards, I wouldn't count on a remission in pregnancy. I always had a post partum flare 4-6 months out. Even though I had 9 kids, pregnancies were not easy on me at all. I hadn't been diagnosed with AS until after my last was born, but I think the AS made everything harder. Fatigue was higher and the normal aches and pains of pregnancy were worse.

Micki
Mom to 9
Dx'ed Ocular Herpes, Sept. '08
Dx'ed AS May '09, suffering on and off since 1979
Dx'ed Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma May '08, relapse Oct '11
M
mig Offline
M
Hi Sarah, welcome to KA.

Yep, before I was able to get my AS under control, my pain would always always ratchet up at that time of the month, without fail. My rheumatologist said that most females with AS report the same.

As far as AS and pregnancy, the stats suggest that 1/3 of women will go into a temporary remission during pregnancy, it will stay about the same for 1/3, and 1/3 will experience an increase in their AS symptoms.

I don't think that any form of hormone replacement as a treatment for AS has ever been studied. We know the ups and downs have an effect on our symptoms, but it probably more complicated than it might seem. Just my guess, I don't know.

Maybe you will be in the lucky 1/3!

New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Wow Micki 9 kids!! U must be a super mum having to raise 9 kids and battle AS :-)
I don't think I would be in the 1/3 as my last pregnancy was the worst I've ever experienced. I suffered from what they call a "irritable uterus" from 35weeks onwards which basically means my uterus was mimicking labour but I wasn't in labour for 3weeks :-( but I also recall I wasnt able to be very active during the pregnancy either due to spotting. I say all of this yet I still want one more god I must be a glutton for punishment hehe.

I doubt the HRT would help just wishful thinking :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM