Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Yesterday I found out about the NSD & all the wonderful info here at kickas.org. However, I couldn't find any information on people who take biologics like Enbrel. I currently take 25mg 2X / week. Since biologics are different than NSAIDS, does anyone have any advice on the best way to start removing it if the NSD is working for me? I tried getting off of Enbrel twice in the past 2 years & at the beginning of the 4th week, I turned into a 93 year old man. Couldn't even tie my shoes kind of problem. So any advice / experience (BIG help) / links / references would really help me out here. Thanks in advance.

Brian

My Autoimmune Blog - Ups & Downs with NSD & SCD, the NEED for Meat and STARCHES, and the Effects of Getting Off Enbrel (biologic) and Going on Humira: http://100percenthealth.us/
B
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
I think the best advice is to adjust to the diet before reducing medication. In can take some time to learn and its effects to kick in. Then if all seems to be going well experiment with reducing the meds. After starting the diet I gradually reduced my NSAIDS and found I no longer needed them.

Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
I would take a lot of time on the diet, getting used to cooking NSD, etc. If you intend to come of your meds, be fully committed to NSD, and taper off very very VERY slowly. Hopefully with the blessing and supervision of your rheumy.

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
you should read drizzit's posts.

he uses biologics and is also on NSD. it seems that he is happier as the time goes by smile

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Thanks Alinus, I've researched drizzit's post and here are some areas to check out:

Usage of NSD w/ simponi (biologic) & improvement over time: https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthre...9019#Post459019

Diet + Probiotics Research done with the SAA (Spondylitis.org): https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthre...9327#Post459327

His other posts: https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=3712

Any other information would be great here. It would be great to post as much information about the combination of NSD, biologics, and experiences with them both.

My Autoimmune Blog - Ups & Downs with NSD & SCD, the NEED for Meat and STARCHES, and the Effects of Getting Off Enbrel (biologic) and Going on Humira: http://100percenthealth.us/
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Tried nsd and had no difference. Biologics is the only help I have. I would try NSD with the biologics before dropping the biologics.

HLAB27+ A.S for 2 year. Humira, Enbrel, Simponi all tried now moving on to Remicade. Meth, sulfa, tramadol, etc...
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
going on 22 months of NSD and about 30 months on Simponi. No way I give up the TNF drug. Sorry but the diet is not a miracle for many of us. that is just a fact. I do believe the combination of the two is very powerful for me. Maybe one day I can ease off the TNF drugs but I am not in a hurry to do so.

In the meantime, the Simponi I am on seems to work longer and longer as time goes on. I attribute that to the NSD diet. After 2.5 years on Simponi I doubt I would still be gaining more benefit from it. It should have reached maximum efficiency long before now so the longer benefit, I believe, is due to something else such as diet.

on the diet side given the brutally slow improvement I see there is no way I would have stayed on this draconian diet for this long and for such small initial benefit without the Simponi

Last edited by drizzit; 01/14/12 05:47 PM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
I just met up with a very knowledgeable nutritionist and we'll be using a modified / stricter diet (mainly a raw food diet tailored to my condition) than just NSD. I'll also start going on the Enbrel 1X per 2 weeks and see how well that's worked. I've done it before without NSD / strict diet and it'll help me gauge how well it's going to work.

While I don't expect the transition to be easy, I do expect it to give me great results.

@drizzit - one thing the nutritionist mentioned was our gut was in bad shape and probiotics are really going to help restart my body so the raw food diet can work with the cells. They suggested "good belly" shot as it has 50 billion probiotic CFU per serving. Have you tried a heavy dosage of probiotics? And, if so, have you tried a more raw food diet?

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
brianzajac

I do take probiotics in the form of align and have found it very helpful. The only cooked food I eat is meat but other then that raw veggies, fruit, almonds, walnuts, mostly make up my diet.

I eat little to no processed food.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Hi Brian,
I have the Enbrel 1 x week injection. Unfortunately I react to it over time ( sends my nervous system into meltdown) I am out from weekly to approx 14 - 21 days between injections. Have been NSD ( prob 97%) for 7 weeks and am coming through a flare that started in Nov. ( flare triggered me to look and find this sight and NSD). Feeling very well and believe the combination works.. Prob don't see me coming totally off Enbrel anytime soon just running on extended periods between doses.

Julian

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM