Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#459448 01/04/12 04:35 PM
gbash Offline OP
Master_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Master_AS_Kicker
I remember when I first had to attend physical therapy as part of my early AS treatment, and the therapist was totally ignorant about AS. He suggested that I wear a brace, but I had already read that a brace was a poor choice for AS, as the back muscles would eventually weaken from it and allow for more curvature.

I got to wondering, what are other things or practices should be avoided for AS and why? Maybe we should leave diet out of this topic for now.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
bracing any of my tendonitises makes them infinitely worse.

using a neck pillow too often weakens my neck muscles further (similar to the back brace idea).

i know a lot of people say chiropractic care is a no no for AS, so i'll be the first to suggest that. but for me, with undiff spondy, it has been the one thing that has kept me off of disability these last 2 years. but it is very very important to go to someone who knows what they are doing and treats us like the delicate flowers that we are. smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
**sitting anywhere still too long, especially a computer or looking down at a book "kills" me.

**not getting enough rest/sleep when flaring seems to do me worse as well

**sleeping on a pillow while on my back, I'm trying to avoid curvature but it has actually caused a terrible pinched nerve when I've accidentally fallen asleep on the pillow.

(Hi Sue!)

gbash Offline OP
Master_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Master_AS_Kicker
I've also heard that you shouldn't do anything the twists or jars the back, such as golfing or jogging on hard surfaces.

I guess any slouching is a big no-no.

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Too long in one position is bad, especially if the one position is standing.

(maybe leave diet AND chiropractic out of it for a while--two hot-button topics)

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
If you have not yet fused, stand tall with shoulders back.

Sleeping on your side is bad, as it both bends your spine and curves your shoulders inward. Sleep as straight as possible.

Like many, I have eggshell foam under the fitted sheet, however I devised this trick to keep me from rolling onto my side: It's actually two lengths of eggshell, with a 4 to 6 inch space between them on my side of the bed. That kind of furrows me in. I use one small feather pillow, so I can squish it for support where I feel I need it. Been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's really contributed to comfort, my being able to rest longer, and waking up with less stiffness.

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
Originally Posted By: Kancie

Sleeping on your side is bad, as it both bends your spine and curves your shoulders inward. Sleep as straight as possible.

I use one small feather pillow, so I can squish it for support where I feel I need it. Been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's really contributed to comfort, my being able to rest longer, and waking up with less stiffness.

I spent my whole life sleeping on my left side. Had to switch to my right side in 1998 when i "hurt" my left neck/upperback/shoulder. Had to switch to my back when my SI joint kicked in in 2000. On my back ever since. I've never moved much in my sleep, ever; as a kid, i could just slip out from under the covers with the bed already practically made. So, however i fall asleep, is how i wake up. I sleep with a few pillows under my legs to tilt my pelvis slightly; takes the pressure off my SI joint and lower spine.

and spent years sleeping with two pillows propping my head up. didn't realize how it was contributing to my neck pain until one night i fell asleep without a pillow and my neck felt so much better. ditched the old pillows. found bunching a polartec pullover under my neck for support was somewhat helpful. which led me to buying the thinnest of feather pillows. that was probably 10 years ago. best investment i ever made. the feather pillow gives my neck the perfect support and gives the head some gentle comfort. and my neck can now remain perfectly neutral.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
i'll chime in with donette (hi Donette smile ) and Rumble regarding not being in any one position for too long:

sitting too long is the worst for me
standing is almost as bad
even laying too long is bad (i do best sleeping 1/2 the night in the recliner and 1/2 the night in the bed)

having jaw in open at dentist for too long (taking a muscle relaxant prior helps, and the dentist allowing me to take frequent breaks also helps)

wearing inflexible shoes. wore my shoe boots for too long the other day and my foot "got stuck" and had to be worked to get it mobile again. quite painful.

i think this is one reason bracing is so bad for me, keeps whichever body part in one position.

PTs in the past told me it all had to do with blood flow. good blood flow allowing the body to deal with the inflammation better or something like that.

sue

chiro
walk, bike
L
Lon Offline
L
Hi
good advice.
everyone means well. but what is best for you remains to be your experience...
if I did not press my joints to range of motion, my back, shoulders, hips --I would be unable to put on my shoes in three days. so i constantly twist, turn and pull those muscles.
Please let me know what works, or is working.

you will be adding to our knowledge

I keep the New Covenant,
when I fail....I am pulled
back into place by HIM.
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Cartwheels cry

This bunny Kicks AS !
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!