Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
No, but my doctor referred me to a rheumatologist this month because of suspected AS (I have not been to the rheumatologist yet). I have suspected AS myself since June this year. I am HLA-b27 positive, and my grandfather had AS (Which I found out this year - he died before I was born).

I had classic symptoms in my right sacroiliac joint, under my feet, hand and jaw for around a year until I changed my diet in August.

Last edited by Hanna; 11/19/11 10:46 PM.
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Hey guys, this is weird - I tested a grain of glutinous rice and it didn't turn inky blue / black. What the .. it just took on the nice brown / amber colour of the iodine. In disbelief I then cooked some glutinous rice in water with my microwave. The water was milky, yet the water didn't react to iodine (I guarantee that the milky water from normal rice cooking will react). I tested the now soft cooked grains.. again no reaction to iodine!

This is indicative that iodine may react specifically to amylose.. and not always to other similar compounds such as amylopectin.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
After leaving it a bit longer I find there is now a darker brown colour that might be some weird half reaction. Quite different to the classic inky blue/black starch reaction.

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I cooked up and ate a good serving of glutinous rice - good to eat and...no reactions! Was soooo good, that I did the same again. No reactions. Delighted. Won't go overboard on it, but great to know that can eat rice again.

Thanks guys, great thread. <(:))

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
A
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
Very interesting reading this...mind you though I like rice..it lands like a brick and takes forever to go through the digestive track for me...just like bread. );

Where your mind goes your life follows
Originally Posted By: Hanna
Interesting. I have been eating sticky sushi rice and basmati rice.

I started NSD in August, my pain-symptoms disappeared. Then I tried to eat bread, just to test - and the symptoms came back. Now they have disappeared and I have tried rice (sticky sushi rice and basmati), as well as a little potato and banana. Nothing has happened.

could the difference be gluten? bread has it, while rice, potato and banana don't.

have you been tested for gluten intolerance / celiac? it can cause arthritis-like symptoms as well.

how do you respond to other glutenous and gluten-free starches?

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Good point Sue, well spotted smile

I see you are using the Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) protocol. I only just heard about it a few weeks back, and saw one or two people mention it working for their AS. How goes it with you? What dosage are you using?

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
If anyone wanted to try glutinous rice but has been on a strict no starch diet, then you would definitely need to start small with this. Maybe a teeny tiny bit. Then the next meal perhaps a quarter teaspoon.. and gradually increase.

The amylopectin is a prebiotic so it will feed the bugs in your gut. Eat too much and your body will not be able to cope with the sudden change in flora in your gut.

Zark - where ya been ? Bridget B (barngoddess) started the LDN protocol. She posted on it some 5 odd yrs ago? Then I took it up and it spread from there. Amazing med. Calms down the spinal inflammation and helps with gut problems.

UC David have been/are (still?) running a trial for treating Crohn's using LDN - works well for Chron's (and claims for many other diseases.

lowdosenaltrexone.org has a raft of information as indeed there is a raft of information here on KA - put in a search. I post up the LDN Newsletters as they are published from the UK. One starts real low, low. Like 1.75mg, then moves up to 2.75, then to 4.25 or 4.75. IF necessary can move to 6mg. Nearly everyone stays on the 4.25 or 4.75mg. I'm on 6mg and have been for a couple of yrs now. LDN works well for me. Hardly ever have to take additional meds. Do have an antiinflammatory and pain meds for breakthrough, but in the last three odd yrs have hardly touched. Once for knees - nasty knees. Couple of times for back - when had run out of LDN or been visiting and forgotten my med! Another time for costo flare (nasty one that). But basically hardly touch other meds.

Don't mean it will work for everyone but my findings are, yes. Good stuff. Oh yes, no side effects - apart from transitory dreams, though for me am still waiting...

Hope this helps.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
some of this molly just stated too, but i'll add my experiences.

i started at 1.5 mg, but ramped to 3.0 mg, then 4.5 mg within a month. then stayed at 4.5 mg for over two years now.

for me, its effects are more subtle, but have become obvious. i still flare, still get inflammation. but its like my body is able to get rid of the inflammation a lot faster. and i'm sure its the LDN because i always make sure to start things separately so i can identify what is giving me either good effects or bad side effects.

things heal now ridiculously fast in comparison to before the LDN, maybe more like a normal person (based on how PT insisted i should have been healing in the past and now i do!) what i mean by "healing". i used to get nasty tendonitis, used to pull or even tear tendons and ligaments all the time and they'd take forever to recover. now what used to take months to years, takes weeks, and what used to take a few months, takes only a few days to recover.

and I HAVE NOT TORN A TENDON OR LIGAMENT IN TWO YEARS, SINCE I STARTED TAKING LDN! that is big news for me. YAY!

so i still need to find a drug to prevent the inflammation / prevent the flares.

but once the inflammation is there, the LDN allows my body to heal itself quite speedily as described above. or to get rid of the inflammation fast as well; like if i'm on my feet too much, still my feet become inflamed, sometimes to the point of barely being able to walk. but now they recover within a few days instead of it taking weeks to months. smile

and thus far, no side effects that i've been aware of smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)