Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#436416 03/22/11 10:53 AM
T
Toria Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
T
Hi All

I am finding it difficult to start a non starch diet, I mean it seems like literally everything has starch in it.

Any ideas as to where to start, or maybe what amount of grams of starch is an OK amount, or literally none? Starch is a carbohydrate right, so does that mean if it says carbohydrates it has starch, or does it specifically have to say Wheat or starch or? Just a little confused as to where to start, i started by cutting out potatoes and bread. I guess i just have to learn to discipline myself to stick to it. Sometimes being a mum to to young children, a carer to my husband, and doing uni, i have to remember to start looking after myself. laugh

Cheers Thank you for listening

Toria #436419 03/22/11 12:04 PM
AS Czar
AS Czar

WELCOME, Toria:

Not all carbohydrates are starches; some are sugars, many of which are safe.

The NSD is quite difficult and inconvenient, but very much worthwhile, provided You can stay with it long-term. Some starches will not be so bad, but most starches are not really tolerable in any amount. The form of the starch is often as important as the fact--consider natural starches or those unrefined as somewhat safer.

And like forms, both cooking methods and combinations are important, also. Fried starches, deep-fried and breaded things, are much worse than the same starch-load cooked by different methods. Certain combinations can slow digestion down--starch with protein for example can be very bad as increasing transit time allows for more putrefaction.

In our culture, Ebringer (LSD or London AS Diet) identified "four major poisons:" Bread, cake, pasta, and potatoes. I would add much to these like hummus, papad, onion rings, and similar stuff.

I was concerned that starch consumption was not a directly proportional stimulus, as it does seem that even a little contamination can cause a major flare, but Ebringer said that, overall, any reduction in starches is helpful as a minimum but will affect disease progression in proportion, relatively.

The thing is to demonstrate that You can get into full and lasting remission this way and sometimes this requires "making the NSD work" for You. I fasted and did many 3-day apple diets and finally eliminated dairy in addition to starches in order to get myself into full and lasting remission. It was so difficult to achieve and re-achieve this that I began combining diet with antibiotics and had exceptional results and by now no longer require antibiotics despite being very sloppy with diet at times.

Most of us got AS 'naturally' and it took a very long time to build in us, and it can also take a long time to treat naturally and having the antibacterial agents in our arsenal is very important and also adds considerable support for the germ-cause of AS.

Please post questions about diet or NSD in the NSD Forum as the people there are quite knowledgeable and can help guide You especially in the early stages. Regret not all of them read the main forum, as diet has become their primary focus.

May You regain HEALTH, to a greater extent than You ever imagined by Your own efforts,

John

Toria #436434 03/22/11 04:00 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Toria, I live a restricted starch diet - in essence Dr. Ebringer's no wheat, no potatoes. Mainly, I've gone gluten-free because I feel so much better overall.

It can take upwards of 8 weeks for your body to respond to a dietary change, so have patience with it. Once you've accustomed yourself to restricting wheat and potatoes, you might try the various other starches, one by one, to see if eliminating them will also help. It's a slightly less drastic course than going completely no starch at once. However, it will also take longer doing it this way.

Ultimately, you will find your way through. Not everyone responds to these dietary changes, but enough do that it's definitely worth a good try.

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Inanna #436449 03/22/11 05:36 PM
S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
hi toria,

in addition...
i had a hard time starting too and i (and others) have found the book 'the new ibs low starch diet' by carol sinclair (w/ foreword by ebringer) to be extremely helpful! i read it front to back and still refrence it sometimes. i am NSD and no refined sugar cuz even small amounts of starch r badddd and sugar seems to be = bad. amazon sells used copies. got mine there for cheap. good luck smile

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
Toria #436465 03/22/11 06:30 PM
Toria - see menue right hand side, under 'Recent Posts' you will find 'Popular Topics' Second line down, note 'Starch Content in Foods'. Click on that, and there is a list of the starch content in every day foods. Useful.

Well done you for thinking to check out this route. You'll have a good back up from KA members. cheerleader

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
I've never completely managed no starch, but low starch is fine with me and really makes a big difference. I was already on a gluten free diet, so it wasn't such a big jump. I think the easiest way for me was to cut out all grains and flours to start with, and to cut back on potatoes, not just serving size but the number of times you have them. You do have to do a bit of a mind switch with it. To me my evening meal of meat and vegetables now looks fine without needing potatoes or pasta or rice with it, but it did take a bit of getting used to. Lunches are mainly salads, cold meat, cheese, etc. Breakfasts fruit and yoghurt.

Once you get used to your meals looking a bit different, then you can refine it further and go No starch if you want to.

cemc #436474 03/22/11 08:19 PM
T
Toria Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
T
Than you everyone,

Your helpfulness is so appreciated. I think i will try eliminating foods at a time. This seems like a nice start, I started off this morning with eggs and bowl of berries, yummy! Today is my new positive day to get me towards a healthier, pain free lifestyle.

Thank you again.
Talk soon Toria

Toria #436480 03/22/11 09:26 PM
though LSD might not be enough for your AS, it is relatively easy to do. i do it for my metabolic syndrome / insulin resistance and it has been quite useful for that. basically i've (nearly) eliminated wheat (and other grains), potatoes, rice, pastas, and have focussed on eating meats especially fish and chicken, nuts, beans, fruits, veggies, healthy fats, stuff like that. was also eating eggs and yogurt but both came up with antibodies when food allergy testing was done, especially the dairy. i know beans and starchy root veggies, and (some) nuts wouldn't cut it on the NSD, but at least for me, this is a diet i can do, and it has been very good for my metabolism.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Toria #436483 03/22/11 09:49 PM
Here's a good place to start:

AS Food Guide

You can find the above link on the left hand side of the screen under DIET CENTRE.

Also we have a whole forum here at KA dedicated to the No Starch Diet:

NSD and Diet Related Forum

All the best

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Dragonslayer...your postings have always been informative and encouraging and uplifting.

"This is the Day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 32 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable