Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
oms #420902 11/20/10 12:17 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
its hard to predict the future, but your hands may get better, mine did.

my inflammatory arthritis started in my upper back (rhomboid area) and hands, dq tendonitis.

dq tendonitis doesn't sound so bad, does it? but i almost lost total use of both hands. the left hand was totally useless, so much scare tissue that a slight movement of the thumb was setting up new scar tissue. due to allowing doctors to put it in a brace. no movement is bad for me, very very bad. somehow or another allows the inflammation to occur but doesn't allow my body to try to heal it or something like that is what i imagine to be going on. went to hand PT. as she was working with me, the right hand gave out from overuse (not using left) but i never let anyone put that hand in a brace so it never got as bad. so got a cortisone shot into the left wrist, a miraculous drug when needed. more hand PT on both hands. then about maybe 3-4 years total of only being able to use my hands for my work (i'm a teacher so way too much paper handling, and then there's the typing. i'd never have been able to be on a forum back then. i typed minimally for work. minimal emails. no computer games. no surfing the internet. no forums.) cooking - hubby had to do all the food prep (cutting and peeling) and i'd do the actual cooking. no one knows what its like to lose the functioning of a body part, til we do.

then miraculously, the spondy took up residence and left my hands largely alone except during some flares.

in the summer of 2006, tore a ligament in my left ulnar wrist. couldn't use the left hand for anything for about 2 years. cortisone again. this time on the opposite side to before. and 5 months of PT - mostly ultrasound and ionophoresis. hand surgeon evaluated. we decided together that since after the cortisone shot it was slowly getting better, so we'd let my body continue to work its magic. during that time i typed one handed (thus why even today i rarely capitalize, a real hand saver believe it or not, just try it!) so back to only minimal typing to save my right hand, back to hubby doing all the food prep for cooking, etc.

but as you can see, if my hands were even a bit bad, i wouldn't be able to be here as much as i am, typing as much as i do.

yes, for now, its moved on and left my hands alone. why? i have no idea, but i tend not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

so hoping it leaves your hands as well.

oddly, my hands started getting better (the first time) when the physiatrist put me on a muscle relaxant (zanaflex). maybe the muscles aren't constantly tugging, letting the tendons relax a bit as well. or maybe its coincidence, though i rarely believe in coincidences.

believe you me, i was quite doubtful back in 1998-2002 that my hands would ever see any relief.

in the meantime, while they were flaring for those 4 years, and then again from 2006-2008. lots of contrast baths, several a day,15- 20 minutes at a time, 1-2 minutes hot hot water, 1-2 minutes ice cold water, back and forth. in addition to resting the hands as much as i could. those contrast baths were a life saver, learned that in PT. when my hands flare more moderately, i'll just do a lot of dishes, the hot water alone seems to have some therapeutic benefits, though not as much as the contrast baths.

hope your hands feel better soon. heart

Last edited by Sue22; 11/20/10 12:21 PM.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Sue22 #432686 02/18/11 06:49 AM
New_Member
New_Member
Hi everybody, this morning I waked up angry to all world. My left hand had so much pain... I have left wrist inflammation more than 8 months, and 4 months ago doctors diagnosticated me seronegative spondyloarthropathy (most likely AS). Strange, that I found this topic exactly this morning, it gave me hope, that there is some possibility to stop those pain.

I have tried following - 10x ultrasound last summer (didn't change anything). 1 week ago I proceed following phyisical procedures: mineral bath 8x, some sludge + electro 8x and magnet 9x (Sorry for my bad English). Pain became stronger after those procedures. I am drinking following medication: 10mg Methotrexate per week + folic acid, 3mg Medrol (methylprednisolone) per day and 2 g sulfasalazine per day.
How do you think, do I have to ask doctor for cortisone shot?

I will write a full story about my disease in weekend. Not easy for me to write those medical terms in English.

Last edited by Girts; 02/18/11 06:51 AM.
oms #432696 02/18/11 01:31 PM
J
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
J
Hi Oms,
Sorry you are in such pain. If it's your wrist thats sore try a specially made OT wrist brace. I love mine, it gives you the use of your hand back.
My wrist was so sore 4 years ago I wore a brace for 18 months then it went away and i had no problems with it and now it is sore again and i have had a new brace made,
sending you best wishes,
Debra

jacksmum #432699 02/18/11 02:26 PM
Active_Member
Active_Member
i Just wake up from the pain ... Its 12:13 am.
My left leg is so hurt, I am thinking I will go to the hospital and ask them to cut it off. I want to scream and swear but i don't want my partner to hear me.
I got the painkillers again and i am waiting the pain to leave me...
So i have be quite and wait...it's torture
The scientist must find soon a cure for AS . This is a bad joke, worst than a nightmare
probably i have to talk with my GP about a good combination of tablets

the pain comes and goes but definitely has to do with what i eat or drink
Costas #432713 02/18/11 04:09 PM
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
I am going through the same right now.I think the Humira drug is not as effective as it once was.I cant even lay my head on a pillow im in so much pain.I do understand what you are going through.....it does really suck.Not much we can do,but grin and bare it.

Wishing you pain free
John

Happy Trails To You Until We Meet Again

fonzy #432715 02/18/11 04:27 PM
P
P
I've been there before ... don't give up, keep trying new things until something works ... there is hope

Diag - USpA/AS JUN-10 // HLA-B27+
Humira started DEC-10, every 2 weeks
Started Minocycline antibiotic therapy JAN-11
no/low starch diet started OCT-10
Natural Supplements: Super Joint Complex, Omega 3, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Milk Thistle, Men's Multi, Probiotic Blend, Zyflamend
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 32 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM