Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#429397 01/21/11 06:50 AM
Cblais Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
Halfway through nursing school my hands and wrists hurt, I called my ortho (I had a previous knee operation) and he sent me to a Rhumatologist. My back and neck had always been a bother but it was assumed that it was because I was top heavy before having a reduction, (personal, I know, but I figure a place where it is acceptable to talk about explosive diarrhea, its all good wink.) I also had random "finger sprains" I acquired bartending over the years which, apparently were not sprains. Halfway throught the nursing program I find out I more than likely have AS. I stuck nursing clinicals out through pain, drug allergies/side effects, and fatigue. I have my nursing degree, I just need to take the state board to become an RN. I graduated in December and the happy feeling is gone. Instead of studying I am watching "SALT", I paused it to contemplate my procrastination and came to the conclusion that I am afraid to get my license because I am afraid of finding a job, sick huh? It is a physically demanding profession and the 8 hour clinicals alone hurt. It is frustrating, while my classmates are excitedly filling out job applications and signing up for the boards, I am signing up for Enbrel. I know I will get my rear in gear and will figure something out as far as nursing goes but tonight I fully intend on finishing my movie.

Last edited by Cblais; 01/21/11 06:52 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
You finish your movie and enjoy it!

You have done it, you FINISHED...YAY!

NOW I know you may be scared but dont be you have to at least try.

I have alot of friends who are nurses and I know sometimes the schedule can be demanding I also know alot of them work 3-12 hour days which is alot but then they get 4 days off. Some work part time you seem to get alot of flexibility most times.

Speaking from someone that always wanted to be a nurse but chose to be a Mom and stay home instead (and Im not saying you cant do both) GO FOR IT! Let your Enbrel help, have a good Doc and I think you will do wonderful.

Kuddos to you for being so sick and STILL being able to finish it, your my hero!

Hugs,

Lisa

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
If the Enbrel works, you will probably find energy to cope with the job. Also, most hosptials have pretty good insurance, meaning less stress on bills. grin Working 3 12s means ease in scheduling appts. 4 10s may be a little easier if your hospital permits it. (I work 2nd shift-5 8s-and it's wonderful for appts). yes

When I finished lab school, I was pumped for taking the exam, but lost a family member 3 weeks later and crawled into a hole. Took a bit of tough love on the part of my DH to get me out. Glad I did. Employed and love my job. heart Wish I had more stamina and less pain, but maybe it will come as the Remicade kicks in. grin2

First step, get that exam done. Every day you delay, a little more of the details can slip away. eek2 This will only mean more stress. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. After it's done and passed, then think about your career. grin By then, you may have a couple of doses of Enbrel on board and all this dread may be gone. yes

But finish the movie first. yes roll yes

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
its ok to take a little break, we all need it sometimes, so don't be too hard on yourself.

but at the same time, don't take too long to take that exam to be certified.

then YOU can decide what YOU want to do with your certification. its up to you. without it, you don't have the choice, with it, you have the power.

as for nursing jobs, are there any less typical jobs out there. like a school nurse where the hours and demands are less stressful? maybe those kinds of positions are fewer and further between? or maybe a little more training to specialize in an area that again is less hours, less demanding, etc.

i'm thinking like in academia. once someone gets a PhD, all most people know what to do with it is teach and/or do research in an academic setting cause that's the way we were trained. i'm guilty there as well. but there are other jobs one can get if one thinks outside the box.

so maybe get certified, then explore some options that are less on the beaten path, i bet they exist like in any field. maybe there is a mentor (from school, etc) that could point you in the direction of these other jobs.

good luck!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
I found "SALT" painful too!! laugh2

Dow
I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
An odd serious note from me.

I have a fairly grim dose of AS, and have endured it for 45 years or more. In that time, generally I have worked in the construction industry. Hard physically demanding work, dragging roofing trusses 20 feet into the air by hand, cutting and carrying huge timber joists which were often strapped into 3's, purlins and hip timbers (Bits of a roof...lol)

All killing work but, more often than not the effort made me better, eased my stiffness, made me fitter and stronger and enlivened the mind. I may have been jiggered whence I arrived home each day but wow, I usually felt a sight better than I had when I left the house in the morning.

AS takes enough of our being away from us. You need straightaway to snatch something back from it, you need to be boss of your AS, Work is a fine way to do it and is also your right in life. Get a job, get through the pain, love your life.

Testament to this, well look at the users here on KA:

Stevec, a full time lawyer
Dow, a full time sound man and practising comedian
Mig, her youth stolen from her but nevertheless a full time artist and troublemaker
There are skiers, here, spanish dancers, joggers and so many more. They have all defeated AS, you can do the same

Right then did I tell you the one about................

Bronze_AS_Kicker
Bronze_AS_Kicker
Well said, ineptwill, well said. Your outlook is healthy. Most of the time it is very easy to be overwhelmed by the illness instead of the other way around. Kudos.

- Carpal Tunnel in BOTH hands
- Depression (MDD) Major Depressive Disorder
- Pituitary Adenoma
- Scoliosis
- Spinal Arthritis with bone spurs on spine
- Multiple Scoliosis diagnosed
- Herniating spinal disc
- HLAB27+
- Final diagnosis: Mild lumbar spondylosis

Previously told Mechanical Back 'Issues'. Hate this term!
Hey there,

One day at a time, that is how they come. Living with AS is not easy, but we cannot let it defeat us before we get started.

Hang in there,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
ineptwill #429445 01/21/11 04:06 PM
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: ineptwill
Hard physically demanding work, dragging roofing trusses 20 feet into the air by hand, cutting and carrying huge timber joists which were often strapped into 3's, purlins and hip timbers (Bits of a roof...lol)

Great, set the bar of expectations really high for for the rest of us!! eek2

Still think sitting through "Salt" more painful, watching Angelie Jolie pretending to be a tough guy like Alan eyelashes

Dow
Hon, fight for it. This AS has already taken so much from you, don't let it steal your dream. You will find a way to make it work. The Enbrel will, hopefully, make it easier.

I think you'll be an awesome RN!

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)