Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cblais Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
I take 15mg meloxicam qd and 20mg qweek methotrexate. Since having to quit the sauce I have found that social situations where I used to enjoy having a drink or 2 are becoming increasingly frustrating. Thanksgiving was fine, Christmas parties hard, then New years night I was bummed, who wants to toast with a glass of water? Im not a big drinker and I know it is a small sacrifice for my health but it seems like I have had to sacrifice enough already. It seems that drinking is a part of most things people my age do. When you pass on a drink people assume you have a drinking problem. Off to get "drinks" with friends now, just needed to vent thanks for listening to my rant.

Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
I never thought of passing on a drink as having a problem. I have friends that never drink because of religion and others who just like to drink. I'm not familiar with the drugs you are taking. Is any amount of alcohol forbidden with those drugs and why? I just want to learn about them and be aware if the doctor ever suggests those drugs.

John
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i don't think most people think passing on alcohol is due to a drinking problem, as john said, i know a lot of people who don't drink due to religious convictions.

i never drank much for a few reasons, even in my college days:

1. hate the taste of beer and that's mostly what was around for free
2. i was poor and so couldn't buy drinks when we went out to the clubs to hear bands play
3. always really messed with my blood sugar. half a glass of wine and i was under the table sound asleep........well, almost.

so, when at a party, used to drink soda. out at a bar, they always have orange juice to mix with drinks, so i'd have OJ. or most bars have ginger ale to mix with drinks, so i'd drink that.

at home, given the choice, its sparkling cider. whenever i buy it, everyone scarfs it down. i never seem to buy enough of that stuff.

i now have my students over to my house for dinner fairly regularly. we also go to meetings together. they are late teens, early 20s. when they are with me, there is a no drinking rule because i am responsible for them and in this day and age, don't want to get sued.

if you miss the drinks because you liked them, i do miss a good glass of wine, that's one thing. but please try not to worry about what others think. the older i get, the more i realize, the only person that notices me, is me. i even read a study that actually said this to be true. most people really don't pay much attention to others.

i gave up the alcohol almost completely when i was 30 and started having trouble with my stomach. then figured i was on so many meds that got processed by my liver, i wanted to keep my liver as healthy as i could. i probably went overboard with the abstinence but that's what i did. occasionally i'll have a sip of my husband's wine if he thinks its particularly good, but that's it. i have found that in the beginning is the hardest to give up anything, be it drink, certain foods, habits, but then you get used to it.

still, i guess everytime we realize one more thing we have to give up, i understand that can be hard.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
It takes quite a big mental shift to feel OK in those kind of situations when you have been used to drinking, but I'd say just try and relax about it. If you think people are wondering if you have a drink problem by refusing, say straight up "sorry no alcohol, it messes with my meds". Try not to see it as a sacrifice, but rather as a positive action you are taking for your health. I went for a lot of years not drinking at all and people just got used to it. I also got used to the idea of being able to relax and get into the lighter mood that alcohol sometimes contributes to without actually having any alcohol in my system. You shouldn't be just stuck with water either - if you can take your own bottle somewhere, then sparkling grape or apple juice is great and looks the part, or experiment with combinations of fruit juice and soda that look like some kind of cocktail and taste more interesting. I personally really like ginger ale and orange juice with a sprig of mint, poured over ice. If you are worried about the calorie content of all that soda, don't be - it will end up considerably less that the equivalent alcoholic drink!

Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
I miss having a drink now and then too. Been 3 years now.

~ Holly
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
I don't know if you celebrate New Year's at a bar/club or a private party, but sparkling grape juice makes a great substitute for champagne. I'm sure the host would be happy to accommodate you. My girlfriend picked this up for us back when we were in college and I was just home from the hospital due intestinal surgery and it was New Year's.

I appreciate what you say about drinking being a part of most things people of a certain age do. I encourage you to look for alternatives. Perhaps perpetual designated driver? Since you are a female, you are entitled to lap up those "virgin" fruity drinks. Personally, I'd just tell folks it is personal choice, no further explanation is really required. I once worked with two fellas from overseas when I was in my mid-20's and they were of similar age. One didn't drink for religious reasons, the other due to his athletically focused lifestyle and attention to health. Initially, I thought it a little odd (especially of the fella from Germany), but I then I quickly reconsidered my initial perception. I'd hang out with them occasionally. Alcohol, or lack of, never dictated the tone or enjoyment of the social outing.

Hope you find something suitable for you. Alcohol and those medications (really any medication) are a bad combo.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
Hey there,

I no longer miss it... at first while on azulfadine I continued drinking, that caught up with my liver. So it is good advice to follow the advice of doctors in this regard.

I toast all the time with 7Up all the time now, people understand.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Royal_AS_kicker
Royal_AS_kicker
I feel ya! I quit drinking @ 28, and it's a bore when everyone else notices you're not drinking. My trick was to order a cranberry juice w/ tonic water in a tall glass w/ ice. It looked yummy and people thought it was a bar drink. If someone was super extra pushy about trying to get me to drink, instead of saying it might make me sick... I leaned in and whispered "sometimes it gives me explosive diarrhea". Lots of people will gossip about you not drinking, but believe me, NOBODY will repeat the words EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA to anyone, and they'll never mention drinking to you ever again! I guarantee it. laugh2 Now that I'm in my 50's, nobody thinks it's weird if one chooses not to drink, thank GOD! yes

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
Good tactic, Erica!

To the OP, sometimes it feels strange at first to be the odd man out, but taking care of yourself is top priority. True friends will understand. Those that have a problem with it will eventually go away.

Micki
Mom to 9
Dx'ed Ocular Herpes, Sept. '08
Dx'ed AS May '09, suffering on and off since 1979
Dx'ed Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma May '08, relapse Oct '11
Cblais Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
Not supposed to drink with Methotrexate especially, as it is toxic to the kidneys on its own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!