Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 147 of 566 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 565 566
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Now I really miss California!

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
I ran 5 miles this morning. I had planned on running further, but stayed in bed to long. I did need sleep also.

Steve Orchard, Running from AS & MS
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Ooh, you are the real deal Lath, I get lost just finding my way to the mall!

How Uncle Norman was the first person to ascend those mountains without maps, I'll never know

I have spent many interesting hours following his adventures. My mom was working on a biography of him that she didn't finish before she passed away, but I had collected a lot of stuff for on the newfangled internet thing, and contacted and conversed with some people who had memories of him.

a few pictures of many I found:

Dow
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Dow
How Uncle Norman was the first person to ascend those mountains without maps, I'll never know

Oh I know. I wouldn't think of going cross country without a map and compass. LOL...maybe even a GPS if I was actively doing it now. Even with a map it is hard enough. I was at the head of a canyon where it broke into three other canyons. It was still spring and everything still had a layer of snow at that elevation. So the trails were covered. I took compass bearings over and over to make sure I was about to pick the correct canyon.

Maybe your uncle made his own maps and detailed notes. Or maybe he just kept it in his head.

John
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i'm really impressed! thanks for sharing those experiences.

backpacking along the appalachian trail with the scouts through high school pales in comparison, though i enjoyed that thoroughly as well. tying the food up in the trees and cooking it down by the stream downwind / upwind ? of camp so the bears didn't find us at night was an interesting experience. these days we just do short day hikes locally.

only been out west a few times, but each time it was beautiful. in high school, went to a girl scout camp in wyoming that no longer belongs to the scouts. think its part of the nature conservancy's land now. all the hiking we did there was great. and then took a bus up to yellowstone and the grand tetons. and then later in my early 30s went out to yosemite. i remember thinking, "if i wasn't married, i'd find a job in one of the tourist shops and just stay." and the red woods in muir woods, very serene and quiet.

so much natural beauty in the world. and for you to be able to experience it so closely and intimately, can appreciate how much you must have enjoyed those experiences.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: LATH
Maybe your uncle made his own maps and detailed notes. Or maybe he just kept it in his head.
Kinda both, I guess! You got me to dig up the 1976 copy of his book: "Close Ups of The High Sierra" that my mom wanted me to have many years ago, and I found this in the editor's notes:

"For Norman is a quiet, often taciturn man. He has often failed to leave a record of his achievements, has never been heard to boast of his fabulous ascents. Yet, since he made his first trip to the top of Mt. Whitney, almost a half century ago, climbers have been finding his records on remote summits. A strong team of skilled rock climbers will conquer a lonely spire, using the most modern of climbing gear and techniques and win through with well co-ordinated teamwork to find on a faded Kodak box the record of a solo climb of three decades ago. Or, at the high point of a distant ridge will be found a small cairn, but no written record. Obviously the work of man, and one mountaineer will turn to his companion with, "Well, it looks like a first ascent, except for Norman Clyde." Later, discussing the route with him, Clyde would ponder a bit, ask a couple of questions about some difficult pitch encountered on the ascent, then admit he had been there-- a score of years ago."

Wish I could say I have my own personal memories of him to add to this!

but I DID try to work him into our Sedona trip, ha ha

Dow & Marsha Sedona trip

Dow
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: Orch
I had planned on running further, but stayed in bed to long. I did need sleep also.

Good job running AND getting extra sleep! cheerleader

Sleep is a precious commodity in my world.

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: LATH
Originally Posted By: Dow

Oh I know. I wouldn't think of going cross country without a map and compass. LOL...maybe even a GPS if I was actively doing it now. Even with a map it is hard enough. I was at the head of a canyon where it broke into three other canyons. It was still spring and everything still had a layer of snow at that elevation. So the trails were covered. I took compass bearings over and over to make sure I was about to pick the correct canyon.

Aaaggghhh!!! That makes my stomach hurt just thinking about being up on that jagged pointy rock! I am not that kind of hiker, not at all. Trails are my friend, rocks are scawwwwwyyy... eek2

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: EricaK
Aaaggghhh!!! That makes my stomach hurt just thinking about being up on that jagged pointy rock! I am not that kind of hiker, not at all. Trails are my friend, rocks are scawwwwwyyy... eek2

Ha, ha! Don't know why one person would want nothing more than to climb to the top of the highest mountain and look down, and another would travel the world and swim in a variety of pools, but think it is fascinating that they do.

Me, I understand and would love to do both, if I could.

When standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon, can remember the excited feeling that you get looking out over such an incredible and dangerous panorama. I know that must have been a big part of what my Uncle loved for his whole life. And a friend of mine once saying:

"The closer to the edge, the better the view"

Dow
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Some of my reasons:
  • The rush from looking back at the top of a pass over the distance traveled and saying, "I came all that way!"
  • The beauty of the alpenglow at high altitudes.
  • The energy of a storm on a distant peak and watching it come your way as you sip tea on a mountain top over 11,000 ft.
  • Watching the wind come up a canyon making the trees dance.
  • The brilliance of the stars at 10,000 ft. Actually, seeing the parts of a "shooting star" breaking off and burn out. Seeing that we are just a speck in the universe.
  • Meeting old friends that I only saw in the Sierras.
  • The rush you get when you see a rattlesnake on the other side of the rock you just put your foot on...you can't stop...so you spring higher and farther than you ever thought possible with a 40+ pound pack on.

(I added this later when I realized I forgot something.)
But most important, you challenge yourself and you see what you are made of!

I don't trust my body now enough to put it on the "edge", but I think I could still do some of the less adrenaline filled stuff. I think my real problem now would be sleeping on the ground.

Last edited by LATH; 12/13/10 05:01 AM.

John
Page 147 of 566 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 565 566

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!