Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Beef Offline OP
OP Offline
B

Hi,

I have been on the NSD for over a year now. I thought it would get easier and become part of my daily routine but I feel it is harder now.

The other day I was feeling a bit low generally and went on a starch binge, eating two packets of crisps(chips) some left over chips (fries) and two pieces of toast.

I think the novelty of the diet wears off after a while for the person on the diet and those around them that have to cater for it.

I am so sick of eating salad and I don't have the time to prepare speacial recipies that would make the diet more interesting. Also, I find myself over-eating allowable but bad foods such as chocolate, ice cream, pork scratchings and alcohol.

Have others had similar experiance?

Thanks,

Jon

Royal_AS_kicker
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: Beef

Have others had similar experiance?

Well, for myself the diet made no difference in my pain level.

But for my daughter it made ALL the difference. She seems really happy to avoid the foods that make her sick, but it's only been a few months. Also, conveniently for her, salad and salsa are her favorite foods.

Peace rainbow

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

AS Czar
AS Czar
OH, Yeah, Jon--

BIG TIME!

In fact, when I was first on the diet I tried to remain vegetarian, now I am borderline diabetic as a result of that mistake.

But it CAN get easier. After about three years I began being more starch-tolerant and could eat things like rice without being assaulted the next day. I attribute this to some level of gut healing especially from assiduous avoidance of NSAIDs even aspirin.

The antibiotics have helped very much, because whenever I get those niggling symptoms I can just take a course of tetracycline for example and it goes away within 3-4 days...but again, this has limited my urgency for fasting so that I have kept on too much weight...even stunningly fantastic results are a two-edged sword, I guess!

Glad the NSD has helped You, but hang in there and You will perhaps have more variety eventually.

HEALTH,
John

Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Quote:
I think the novelty of the diet wears off after a while for the person on the diet and those around them that have to cater for it.

I am so sick of eating salad and I don't have the time to prepare speacial recipies that would make the diet more interesting.

Oh I so hear you there!
At first you (and family and friends) are very enthusiatic about the diet and getting creative with ingredients.
Once you have beaten the initial cravings at the start of the diet you go through a period of such relief that something is helping your AS so much. Then at some point or another you hit a wall...

Quote:
Also, I find myself over-eating allowable but bad foods such as chocolate, ice cream, pork scratchings and alcohol.

Compensating for banned foods, by over-eating on others is classic. I think it is human nature and it shows how important food is as a pleasureable part of our lives. It's so much more than just "fuel". It is a social activity. Some how the diet goes from controlling your AS to feeling like the diet is controlling you - at least that is how I feel sometimes.

I am going through a hard time with the diet. It started in the Summer and I am still having trouble with my cravings and wanting to join in with everyone else. The weather change does not help either - Summer salads and BBQ's are out and stodgy comfort food is in!

It is not easy - I hope you manage to stick to the diet to help your AS. Has it had significant results for you?

KickAS and help others do the same!
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
In answer to the actual question you posted:

"Does it get easier or harder?"

I think you go hit walls and go through pain barriers.

I can only liken it to giving up smoking or drinking (smoking from experience - never had problem with drinking). The temptation will always be there and sometimes you will feel it more than others. I think if you can hang on in there this feeling will pass.

I gave up smoking when I got my DX for AS - I was told to give up so I did. However, when my "old" friends visit or it is an occassion like New Year or something - I more often than not have the smoking equivalent of "one for the road". I seem to be able to do this and then not fancy one again for months and months... it takes a while for smoking to get a proper hold on you - addiction has to obliterate the horrible taste and smell that put you off to start with!

When it comes to starch, however, the addiction has much more of a hold over me - it is instant gratification on a plate. I cannot just have one cake or biscuit or whatever... my brain just jumps in and says you had one, another one won't make any difference and next thing you know you have cleared the cupboard out.

It is all or nothing for me... and I find that very hard indeed. I started up a thread a while ago to talk about this very issue.

I wish you all the resolve you can find and hope that you can hang on in there to help your AS.

Tinkrainbow

KickAS and help others do the same!
New_Member
New_Member
Hi Jon

I have only been on the LSD for a few weeks now and also tend to eat more of the 'treat' foods which the diet allows (chocolate and ice cream), which is probably not a good thing.

I think Tinkerbell is correct "it is human nature and it shows how important food is as a pleasureable part of our lives. It's so much more than just "fuel". It is a social activity."

I have been doing extra exercise to compensate for the chocolate and ice cream and that makes me feel better. Perhaps I'm fortunate because I enjoy exercising. I'm not sure if the same can help you.

Good luck

M
M
Well, I was very disciplined when I started Nov 2007 until aug 2009. I improved a lot under that time.
Then I lost my disciplin, not totally but still. Having beers almost every day and a pizza in the weekend. In March 2010 the pains was back - of course (I blame myself so much for being so stupid during those 6-7 months). I had to welcome big pains and sciatica back in my life. Then it took some time to come back on the NSD-diet. But from May/June I have been fighting with disciplin.

Now its starting to become better, especially since I started the anticandida-diet 8 weeks ago.

/ Max

B
Beef Offline OP
OP Offline
B

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have fallen off the wagon another time since my original email. My wife had made a special effort to cook me a low starch meal and then I went crazy and binged on toast and crisps later that night (when she had gone to bed). I did confess to her the next day.

By the way Turboflex, I'm just down the road in Gloucester.

Jon

B
Beef Offline OP
OP Offline
B

My biggest temptation at this time of year is the cocktail sausage. I play with a brass band and there are so many Christmas events to attend where I can't eat anything on offer (except maybe a bit of cheese). I kid myself that the tiny sausage (or five) is mostly meat so will be OK but I know it isn't.

Must remember to get some 100% meat sausages in for Christmas day.

Jon

S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Hey,

I have been off the NSD for a while now and honestly it's pretty crap. Sure you get to eat all those starchy foods that you crave but you feel terrible afterwards. At the end of the day, food is just food and if you are able to live without pain surely what you eat doesnt matter. But I definately know how you feel. When I go back on the LSD/NSD I'm going to try live by this mindset. Its hard sometimes man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 33 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have