Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 566 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 565 566
EricaK #405222 07/29/10 02:14 AM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
impressed that no matter how you all are feeling physically, you're still there to cheer everyone on, so cheerily smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
Originally Posted By: Sue22
today: walked: 3 miles, ~1.5 hours

a mile of that was pacing the halls drinking volumen (for the CT enterography of my small intestine), but that's walking, right!

Status points for exercising during medical tests!

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
hi tink! rainbow
km stands for KravMaga which is a type of Israeli Self-defense that is now used in the military and police departments. the kb is the kickboxing. the class incorporates the 2 together so its 2+1 so to speak. you learn to defend yourself AND burn off up to 1000 calories in one hr. yes

i dont take the self defense classes yet. i'm not sure if i can handle it. i need them but waiting just a wee bit more. ive got a pretty vicious "hammer-fist" thanks to KM now. lol laugh2

what is so amazing about the class is we get anywhere from 80-100 people in each class from all walks of life. we have a BIG number of folks that have arthritis, elderly or disabled. you work at your own pace. the instructors are top notch and i love that they know how to get you going. the only thing they ask is for you not to stop. you can slow down but dont stop. if not it's like you are literally starting from the beginning b/c its a tough class. winter was really hard for me but the instructors worked with me. Pete is the owner and it's 20,000 sq feet of KB, KM level 1+up, Cardio kickbox -without bag, Kettle bell --way too much weight for bug, Cycling, Power cycling -really enjoyed that...good music, KMX which is a mx of 20min cardio, 20 min bag, 20 min of ab work in one class. there's also yoga, and pilates as well.

for now i'll stick to that i'm way too high strung for yoga. i'm not very flexible either. tried it years ago. when we stretch in KB class i STILL have the same flexibility i started with almost a year ago...thats just damage from the AS monster. so i work around it.

we have newbies that are injured, or arthiritic and i always try to help and give them tips on fighting stance, gloves, etc; there are some that are huge muscle folks--usually guys...and they are about to faint after 20-30 min of class. but it builds your endurance and that's important to buggy. even if i'm layed out for a few days afterwards ''''ring ring...stretcher carrying buggie out... laugh2 laugh2

thanks for all those descriptions buggie smile
sounds very interesting! yes

when you stated "way too high strung for yoga" i had to chuckle,
our yoga instructor said that the mind is like a monkey chasing its tail,
and not just a monkey, but a drunk monkey chasing its tail,
and one of the goals of yoga, of meditation is to quiet that drunk monkey.
i always got a kick out of that imagery! and your comment reminded me of that.

i loved yoga class, but always seemed to pull something or another when i did it with a class.
though i tried hard not to do the things i knew i couldn't do,
and the teacher was good about letting us do what our bodies told us to do,
i still found doing it at home on my own to be safer in regards to pulling things.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Tuesday: walk: 4 miles, 80 minutes
Wednesday: walk: 4 miles, 80 minutes

I've been thinking about taking a yoga class offered at work, but I'm really self-conscious about the things I know I won't be able to do.

John
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
My trick is to stay in the back of the class. yes I say GO FOR IT!

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
aww shucks erika...i think KickAS has some of THE toughest folks around period! this disease took but it also gave me endurance, discipline, patience and more love to give. grin

yes its the israeli self defense system. i'm not doing the self defense classes though that are on youtube. but we have that. i'm trying to figure out how to post the link...its under 911 self defense san antonio. but i cant seem to figure out how to post it.

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
http://krav-maga-san-antonio.com/

i hope this is right...you can click around and see the center i love!

if the teacher / instructor is good, then it will be as much about the meditative aspects as it is about the poses. if it is run that way where it is emphasized to listen to one's body, do what one can, modify poses to suit one's abilities, then it could be fine. if its more about "competition", then its not a very good yoga class anyway, goes against the original purpose of yoga.

when i started it, we had a very spiritual instructor, so much so, that she went to india. the next instructor was not very spiritual at all, the class had a totally different feel, and so after a short time, i stopped going to the class, and just continued the practice at home.

now i kind of mix yoga plus PT exercises, many similar anyway, do what i can, avoid things i can't do. like the bridge pose always irritated my SI, so we stopped doing that. would never think of doing a head stand, too much pressure on the neck, but a good shoulder stand really stretches my neck in ways nothing else, not even traction can do. and the shoulder stand strengthens all my back muscles in a totally nonaggressive way. its my favorite pose. the spinal twist is another good stretch, even if i can't twist very far.

i think you should check out a class. you can always stop going if it doesn't feel right for you.

sue

chiro
walk, bike
EricaK #405452 07/29/10 09:24 PM
EricaK Offline OP
Royal_AS_kicker
OP Offline
Royal_AS_kicker
And she's back.

My stats for today:

Laughter Yoga / 30 minutes
Swimming 1,100 yds / 40 minutes
Tai Chi / 1 hour

Phew! eek2

Go TEAM! clap

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+

Page 23 of 566 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 565 566

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!