Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
Hi Tink, so sorry you lost your long reply, ive done that a few times too, write this great big blog and then the page refreshes and "poof" its all gone. Im going to give the egg yolks and bacon a miss for a few weeks while i try get on top of this. Thanks for your tips with apples, spinach, oats, orange rind & green tea. Ill do my best to include these items in my day to day diet. Thanks for the kind well wishes,
darryn

T
Active_Member
Active_Member
T
jet, for breakfast i usually have eggs and then i had boiled fish, erbs and coconut oil/evoo to some bone broth. it's a good replacement for bacon. it's fish with the extra virtues of healthy fat and bone broth.

My strenght comes from my pain!
J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
Thanks Tiago, sounds very healthy good. When you make your bone broth, is the beef bones(cow) broth more beneficial for us than chicken carcus broth?

F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Yes my cholesterol went from 220 to 280 in three months on NSD. It's one good reason I'm thankful I'm able to be off of it now. One number that is more important is your triglycerides. Mine are real low. Apparantly if you exercise intensely you can lower the tri's which are the biggest indicator for heart issues. My ratio is exceptional simply from my exercise regimen. (Bikram yoga, swimming and weights).
The NSD diet is simply not an ideal diet but one of necessity for us who have AS and are running out of options or dont want the drugs.

T
Active_Member
Active_Member
T
that i can't tell. sometimes i make the broth with cow bones, sometimes with chicken bones. I prefer the taste of chicken bones broth but both are nice.

i don't know the impact NSD had in my cholesterol or triglycerides but i made a blood test this week and i will know the results next week. i will update then.

my main concern is the fact that, because i am using crutches, i am not hable to do much exercice, and that is very important, both for blood and joint mobility (as finnari mentioned very well in other thread). as soon as i leave the crutches i will start right away, but one thing at a time, no panic.

My strenght comes from my pain!
B
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Hi,the doxy is not for cholesterol.Just so I could go off diet without suffering in pain! smile

Off antibiotics and now exploring mindbody healing.
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
just wanted to second what you said about the triglycerides. mine scared the $#%% out of me. but was pleasantly surprised how doing away with most complex carbs and walking everyday knocked them down to very low. and the HDLs get raised by the exercise as well. i could be wrong, but i do think low trigycerides and high HDLs are the most important things to strive for, things that are largely affected by exercise. so what finnari said i discovered to be true from my own personal experience as well.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
I use a mixture... and if I have any roasted meat in between broth making sessions the bones and scraps all go into the freezer to add to the pot. As well as bone, you want bits and pieces like the joints that have lots of connective tissue. Talk to your butcher, they'll cut bones up for you. Chicken feet have been highly recommended by a couple of folk, and oxtails are fab too. If you've got a slow cooker (crockpot) they're excellent to use for making a long slow brew. I like to let the pot simmer away for 3 days.

Here are a couple of articles I have bookmarked:

Traditional bone broth in modern health

Broth is Beautiful

I start my day with broth, and I miss it when I'm away... Something I'm going to try making soon is some jelly, another opportunity to add the goodness of gelatin to the diet. smile

"Traveler, there is no road, you make your path as you walk." - Antonio Machado
F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Yes Sue your right about the triglycerides. They are the dangerous ones that contribute to hardening of the arteries.

When I went on the NSD and started eating a higher animal fat diet my overall cholesterol went way up but i need to get the Tri. numbers they have always stayed low. So in my case it isnt the carbs I ate it was the animal fat.

Careful consideration should be placed on trans fat. But remember if a product contains less then 0.5 grams of trans fat the producer can put on the package that's it FREE of trans fat. Typical false adverstising that the gov't allow the food industry to get away with. But look at the ingredients any food with the ingredient partially hydrogenated oil has trans fat.

And remember the most important thing. Exercise!!! So important anyway for AS people.

B
B
cholesterol and heart attacks is a myth

lowering your cholesterol with a statin will reduce your risk of a heart attack by 1%. This is from the drug companies own research. This is clincally insignificant. (note the risk went from 3% in the placebo group to 2% in the statin group, a 1% reduction, however 1% of 3% is technically a 33% reduction, which is how the drug companies market it !!)

most of the cholesterol is made by the liver, only 10-20% comes from diet.
if your desparate to lower cholesterol then use niacin (vit b3) this is prescribale by your GP/MD in the form of Niaspan
you can also use red yeast rice, though htis may be starchy, i have never tested it

please read What your doctor wont tell you about heart disease by rodger murphree, or simply type cholesterol myth into google

more important for our heart is get homocysteine down and CRP. CRP (inflammation) is directly linked to heart attacks and indeed mst chronic disease

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have