Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
hey jet your welcome :] hey just wanted to say i read recently that in addition to oatmeal, walnuts and olive oil [extra virgin im sure] helped lower cholesterol. can you get your pills at a compounding pharm and exclude the starch? good luck. keep us posted.

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
Hi Kiwi, thanks for input. It sucks bum alright!! Im feeling pretty good at the moment (AS pain), as you might know ive been a starch nazi for about 5 months. The tablets DR got me on got dam starch in them of course - so that screws up the whole show!
I just had a massive bowl of starch (oats) for breakfast. Ive been eating bacon and eggs previously. apparently this is no good for cholestoral, but i can eat the egg whites? wow thats like enjoying an empty can of coke. At best i can only achieve a LSD. when it comes to my eating habits, till now - at least 1 land animal a day dies for me to eat its legs or wings - now the DR says stop the blood sheed and follow a rabbit around and just eat what he eats cry.

Last edited by jet; 06/16/10 04:44 AM.
M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
Sorry that is bad news. I had a blood panel drawn last week, I was worried about high cholesterol. Been NSD for 13 months. Mine was down my esr was 1 and CRP was 0.1 the rest was all good including the lowest blood pressure I have had in twenty five years. I hope you figure it out and get things under control.
ETTE.
Darrel.

J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
Thanks Darrel. Very nice blood work indeed!! I think im still paying for my junk food life style pre-NSD. Ill get on top of this, it just going to be "a pain" but i will kick with both feet. *my blood pressure is on the low side.

J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
Originally Posted By: WendyR
Jet - my husband had raging high cholesterol even though he's a very slim man and cut almost all fats out of his diet (except the critical omega 3s that I made him keep consuming). Nothing seemed to help until he started eating oatmeal porridge for breakfast. At his next doctor visit, to his astonishment, his cholesterol had gone completely back to normal. The doctor was amazed. I've since read that this is one of the benefits of oats.
WOW, hope this happens to me too! (your not trying to sell me some oats are ya laugh2 joke only)
thats what im gonna try, swap the bacon and eggs each morning for oats & that cholesterol lowering milk, eat fish for my meat for a while and otherwise try stick to a LSD as much as possible. As far as the AS pain levels go, ill just have to grit my teeth and suck-it-up for a while i guess.

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Hey jet, hope this isn't all old news to you -- it's stuff I only learned recently after realizing the impact of diet on chronic diseases.

My doc is quite well-informed about nutrition and one of the main things he emphasized to me is eating enough "good fats". The diet advice that said "fat bad" was wrong because it is too simplistic; for heart health, "good fat good" and "bad fat bad" is a better picture.

Examples of "good fat" sources includes butter fat from grass-fed cows, grass-fed beef, and virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is actually better than virgin olive oil, which does quite well in studies because they normally compare it against the JUNK oils (like soybean, corn, etc) which are prevalent in a typical diet.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/09/pracical-approach-to-omega-fats.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/05/pastured-dairy-may-prevent-heart.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/10/heart-attack-risk-reduction-low-hanging.html

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/026547_coconut_oil_fats_health.html

http://www.cholesterol-doctor.com/cholesterol-treatment/alternative/coconut-oil-and-cholesterol.html

The bad news is that most of the good stuff is hard to get and/or expensive, depending on where you live. Fish is not hard to find, but tends to be pretty expensive to be a real staple of one's diet. New Zealanders have an easy time getting properly raised grass-fed beef and pastured dairy, but it is quite difficult in many parts of the US. Eating typical egg yolks in the US is like eating grains second-hand (i.e. bad stuff), while I happen to be super lucky and have a friend with pet chickens so I can get "pastured eggs" (i.e. laid by chickens who have plenty of space to eat plants and bugs) which are way better health-wise.

So assuming the medical news my doc reads is correct, you could cut your heart risk by trading those conventional eggs and bacon for fish and pastured eggs with pasture-fed butter cool

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i know we are all a bit different, but i'll share with you, my experience of how i lowered my triglycerides and blood sugar and raised my HDLs.

diabetes and heart disease run on both sides of my family. many of my relatives have died relatively young from these. my grandmother who had a major stroke in her early 50s, quadruple bypass surgery in her late 50s, and died in her 60s from these complications is often on my mind as i approach 50.

so a few years ago, my triglycerides were up between 400-500 (almost very high range), my HDLs were 39, and my LDLs were borderline high.

i was put on simvastatin (zocor).

the good news is that it wiped out the triglycerides and LDLs in less than a month on an average of 10 mg a day, that's it. both numbers were very low normal after that month.

but the bad news is that it gave me absolutely horrible edema, even a small amount of drug. was giving me rather nasty gastrointestinal upset as well. so i had to be taken off of it.

at that point i felt like i had two options:
1. try another statin
2. do it purely through exercise and diet

i just didn't want to feel that terrible (as when i was on the statin) right then, so i decided to try the diet and exercise first. was just too afraid that all the statins would give me the horrible edema and gastro problems, for some reason my body is really prone to these.

not to say you shouldn't be on the statin, think its great that you are.
but for me it didn't seem to be a choice.

so i found this book and started to read up:

cholesterol cures

the title is really corny i think. and i definitely ignored the diet and menu section of the book. but what i really liked was its balanced approach. each chapter focussed on a different thing that could help or be bad for cholesterol. and then all the various studies done on the topic with their (often conflicting) results. so i took note of the things that always came up bad and the things that always came up good and modified my diet and exercise based on these.

its been a while since i read the book and made the changes but here are the highlights from what i remember:

1. i started walking every day that i could. i bike sometimes. its nice having those two options: when the feet or SI are particularly bad, i bike. otherwise i mostly walk.

2. it was clear that my cholesterol problems were from insulin resistance / metabolic syndrome so my diet changes included consuming even less sugar than i had been previously and cutting way back on the carbs: no white carbs: no potatoes, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no crackers, no cake, no cookies. this would go right along with the NSD.

3. read that while they thought for awhile that egg cholesterol was bad, now they are not so sure. think because the lipid chains are (longer i think) that they may be OK.

4. nuts. for me it was hazelnuts, peanut butter, and almonds. i've read here that almonds are ok for a lot of people on the NSD, maybe you already eat almonds?

5. increased my beans as they are very good for blood sugar and thus indirectly for my cholesterol. but of course they are not good for a NSD.

6. increased my fish consumption. would take fish oil pills but never seem to be as good about supplements long term as i am about dietary changes. i still like to get my nutrients from food. maybe its all those pills we have to take, one more pill just feels like too much work sometimes. but fish oil would be good like the fish.

7. increased my vegetable consumption (you could do this and still remain NSD).

of all these things: nuts and walking and cutting even further back on the carbs seemed to be the big things i kept reading about and thus these are the things i focussed on primarily. secondary for me was increase in beans, greens, and fish. and the LSD is actually a diet to "fix" diabetes / heart disease.

this has kept my triglycerides down to low normal and has raised my HDLs to 55 (hope to get them even higher). my LDLs have risen back to borderline high, but my endocrinologist thinks because my triglycerides are low and my HDLs are climbing that i'm on the right path.

my problems were mostly stemming from insulin resistance. if your problems are from some other underlying cause, then maybe what i did wouldn't work as well for you?

also, though i haven't been able to do so, losing weight, especially around the middle, i hear can also be very helpful at turning some of these numbers around. then again that may just be if the underlying cause is insulin resistance leading to the cholesterol and heart problems.

hope the drugs seriously work! and think you could still be NSD if you ate the "good fats" as others posted on here. nuts and fish are some of those good fats along with some of the other suggestions you have.

all i know is that i feel lucky that i was able to make such a dramatic improvement through exercise and diet. if you had asked me up front prior to the change if i thought my actions would do much good, i would have said no. i was pleasantly surprised that diet and exercise could have such an impact on this.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
don't know what to say jet.

I have the same problem - high cholesterol levels for at least 5-6 years (from what i know).
My GI diagnosed Dislipidemia.

Don't know what's causing it, diet never helped. Simvastatin helped while i was on it, but i had similar issues Sue had.

My numbers raised while on NSD, but i did not had any discussion with my doctor yet. I think i will do it the rest of the month.

My last hearth check showed no problems.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Sorry mate.

Have you tried coconut oil? It contains lauric acid which helps in preventing heart diseases and high cholestrol and blood pressure

Olive oil could help aswell.

Just a few thoughts. Might be worth a look into (especially coconut oil) even if you're off the diet.

All the best,
Seb

B
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Hey,cholesterol got me off the diet,too.Mine was through the roof.
I'm on antibiotic Doxycycline and it helps a lot.Been on for 2 months.I gained weight,too.I was just starting to lose a little too much weight.
Shauna

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM