Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
Finished 4 weeks of antibiotics with one week off inbetween two different drugs.

I remain on a strict NSD diet (just over 3 months now). I am off the cipro for 3 days now. So far no knee involvement which I always get even on the simponi. I had some minor fluid in the knee today but I also ran a mile two days in a row and I may have overdone it a bit on that one LOL.

GP said the Mino was probably worthless since it is very ineffective against most bacteria anymore but may work as well as say OTC nsaids for inflammation so I am staying off it.

If I flare again I will call doc for a third generation Cephalosporin or another round of cipro to help keep down what NSD can't. Cipro is a powerful TNF reducer if nothing else.

My knees almost always flare at the end of the month when the simponi shot is due. That will be an interesting time and will really let me know what is going on.

Interesting experiment here smile Being a skeptic I fully expect my knees to flare LOL

Last edited by drizzit; 05/18/10 03:18 AM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
That is great Drizzit! Keep us posted!

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Exciting stuff. I know that this is a big IF but hypothetically IF your experiment with NSD and Antibiotics is successful then would you recommend something similar for your son? Sorry if that's a very personal question you don't have to answer.

D
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
D
Hi Drizzit,

"GP said the Mino was probably worthless since it is very ineffective against most bacteria any more ..."
And this GP is a Medical Microbiologist?
I think this is just an unsubstantiated generalization - that is, bs!
Minocycline is just a variant of Tetracycline that is rarely used these days other than the low dose treatment of juvenile pimples. But I don't think it can just be dismissed off hand like that. Klebsiella species have a fairly stable sensitivity pattern - always resistant to Amoxil but usually sensitive to most other antibiotics including Tetracylcine
It's use in RA and probably in AS is aided by its anti-inflammatory action as a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor.

Cheers David

Dx Oct 2006 B27+ undifferentiated spondlyarthropathy (uSpA) with mild sebhorrhoeic dermatitis and mild Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) controlled by NSD since 2007.
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
wish you well and i hope for good news !

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
B
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Hi, I just wanted to share,I have been on doxy for 40 days(full dose-that's what my doc does) anyway, thank God, I haven't been in a flare for 25 days!After day 16 I felt better.I am still stiff.I eat what I want now,too. Gained 5 pounds.I don't know how long it will last but my doc is very experienced so I'm going w/ it.She has been on the full dose herself for autoimmune for years and her mom and many patients too.

I hiked up a mountain all day in Hawaii,sat in a plane for 11 hrs total,no problem,kayaked,snorkeled,strolled everywhere,forgot I have AS.I am only stiff so I can say,for me,the tetracyclines work! My doc gave me the thumbs up today.

I had to go see her because I overdid it sunwise in Hawaii and had a phototoxic reaction/rash on my hands.Thank God,she said I could stay on it if I stay out of the sun for awhile and no more vacationing in the sun w/ out sleeves and gloves!Blah...
Well,good luck going off the abx!!!
Shauna

Off antibiotics and now exploring mindbody healing.
drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
I have been on Doxy for a month before, full dose, and saw little or no impact on my AS. Probably why I am dubious of the Mino as well.

There is quite a bit of reading out there that bacteria should be tested for tetracycline impact first since they are not as effective against Kleb as they used to be.

Last edited by drizzit; 05/19/10 03:37 AM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
B
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
B
Yep,the popular saying on this site :

"EVERYBODY'S DIFFERENT" LOL

Thought I would share,tho.

Shauna

Off antibiotics and now exploring mindbody healing.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,898 hmmm