Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#375984 02/08/10 01:03 PM
B
Beef Offline OP
OP Offline
B

Hi,

My neck only started hurting recently. It has been an occasional ache when I move or stretch but today it hurts a bit all the time.

I work in IT so spend all day sitting at a PC. What is the best position for your neck when working at a desk. I am trying to sit up as straight as possible but it feels very unnatural.
Also, when driving am I supposed to keep my head back against the headrest. I have moved the head rest forward as far as it will go so it is not like I am leaning backwards.

I had a few days off the NSD last week and hope this is just related to that and will go away soon.

Thanks,

Jon

Beef #375987 02/08/10 01:16 PM
K
kevin_A
Unregistered
kevin_A
Unregistered
K
Hi jon,
I would suggest you keep as straight as possible I know it feels unnatural but the correct posiion always does with AS you tend to sit in the most cmfortable position and its usualy the wrong position. Cant comment on the NSD dont use it. Drving is the same and as you say close to the headrest to protect your neck if you have a knock.

Kevin

Beef #376003 02/08/10 03:14 PM
New_Member
New_Member

Hi jon,

Are you diagnosed with AS?

I am also in the IT business and spend a lot of time in front of a PC.
I had neck pain a few years ago that i didn't give it much attention and kept on moving,
in result i end up in a phase that lasted about 5 days where my head was locked
in a fully turned right position. Really painful and stressful situation.
what i can recommend you is: take some days off work, use some muscle relaxant pills,
rest as much as you can and try to seat in a most upright position.
My situation has left me with a head leaning forward position and stiffen neck and shoulder
muscles that do not allow me to fully turn right/left and of course pain
now and then.

Hope you be fine soon,

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...
#376004 02/08/10 03:15 PM
M
mcm Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
M
Hey Beef - A PT gave me an excercise for my neck, but you should check with your doc to see if okay for you - While holding neck and head straight, I pull my chin in without letting head drop down. Looks real silly, double chins and all. I do it alot in the car since i can press head on headrest as support.

Also - cold and heat packs, i have one for the microwave and one in the freezer. And for on the go - icy hot patches - there more icy, never have felt heat from them, so the heat wraps from Thermacare (i think that's the name) feel good - they use the same technology at hand and feet warmers for skiing - no medication at all.

Beef #376023 02/08/10 04:00 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear your neck is so painful right now. It truly is awful isn't it.

You should have an ergonomic keyboard and sit straight. Your headrest in the car should be up high enough that your head won't wip over the top of it if you are in an accident.

Also, it's important to stretch out every so often and get up and walk every half hour or so if you can. Keep yourself moving. Do range of motion (as far as you can) and stretch the neck. I've also found that if I go for a walk and let my arms swing freely, it really does help the neck pain.

Ice helps me some in this area as well.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Inanna #376032 02/08/10 04:37 PM
B
Beef Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it.

Geos,
I am diagnosed with undifferentiated SpA (uSpA) as I don't have x-ray evidence of damage.
Unfortunately, time off work in the current economic climate could single me out as a problem so I will have to try and avoid that.
I'm sorry to hear of your neck problems. AS is a particular worry when working in IT as I could not earn enough to support my family if I became unable to use a PC.

Mcm,
Thanks for the advice - I have that exercise on a list from my PT as well and I will try to do it more often.

Kat,
I am trying to sit straight today and it did seem to get better for a while. I don't have an ergonomic keyboard. I should probably get one at some point.

Jon

Beef #376036 02/08/10 04:48 PM
Hi Jon, I forgot to mention that you might want to learn some exercises to stretch out the pecs. minor (muscles infront of your shoulders) and also lie flat on the floor (on your front, then on your back) for at least 15 minutes per day on each side. My favourite pec. minor stretch is to stand in a doorway, with an arm on each side of the frame, bent at the elbows like goal posts. Step forward with one foot and lean into the stretch for a count of ten while you breathe deeply. Then raise your arms slightly and repeat the move forward. This way, you are stretching them in every possible way. Working at a computer is hellish bad for everyone, but for us it can be disastrous.

If you think about sliding your shoulder blades down a couple of milimetres and think of them forming a V, this will activate your rhomboids and lats. dorsi, which will help to support your upper back in a straighter position. And deep breathing, right down into your belly, in slow, regular inhales and exhales. This will help relax you, but has the added bonus of not allowing your shoulders to ride up (learned that from my dance teacher).

I encourage you to take up pilates as well. Very slowly at first, with a good teacher who will work with you to help you adapt where you have difficulty and who will teach you how to breathe properly. Pilates will act as wonderful relaxation (at least, I find it so, the focus on the breathing and precision of movement is quite meditative for me), while strengthening your abdominal muscles so they can support your spine properly.

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 32 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM
Numb fingers, nerve pain
by Stevenage69 - 07/12/22 11:06 AM