Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sham Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member

http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video/2632.html Cancer risk not affected by anti-TNF therapies for rheumatoid arthritis

Hi All, thought you might be intersted in this, good to see that so far the "risk of the unmentionable" is no greater than for patients not on anti TNFs... so good news!

Diagnosed 1995 age 21 - Using Diclofenac from then until January 2010 when I switched to Enbrel- All going well so far! Fantastic !!
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Hi Sham,
Thanks for telling us about the video. I didn't quite understand how they determine "cancer risk is not effected", when towards the beginning "one new therapy has no risk", and towards the end they said certain treatments are better than others.

Again, same thing with the article:
Quote:
Moreover, neither the incidence nor the relative risk of cancer changed with time after anti-TNF therapy began. Similarly, risk did not increase with cumulative duration of active therapy.

During the first year of follow-up, the investigators observed varying risks among the three TNF blockers. Etanercept had a lower risk of cancer compared with biologics-naïve patients with RA, while those starting adalimumab were at higher risk. However, no difference was observed after the first year, and the authors urge that this finding be “interpreted with great caution.”

How does something not have a cancer risk, when they talk about varying cancer risks between treatments right in the next paragraph?

Unless they are saying that TNF therapy has no role in cancer development, BUT the only role it has in cancer is that it only effects the people who had undiagnosed cancer before treatment.

Thanks again for the link. I have an interest in this area because I have a tumor and lymph node enlargement as well as already taken biolgics.
Take care,
James (confused person lol)

HLA-B27+, JRA diagnosis in 1981, re-diagnosed as AS in 1988. Also iritis, colitis, and psoriasis. NSD + low carb helps me. My health makes it hard for me to post in a timely way.
Sham Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Hi James, my interpretation of it was that the cancer risk is negligble on all three but slightly more negligible on one moreso than the other if you know what I mean

hey I'm confused myself now!!!
g'luck
Sham

Diagnosed 1995 age 21 - Using Diclofenac from then until January 2010 when I switched to Enbrel- All going well so far! Fantastic !!
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
That is somewhat reassuring but 3.6 yrs doesn't seem like a very long time to me.

***For those clicking on this link, Kaspersky detected a Trojan attached to the link and denied it. I would caution anyone without a very strong security system not to click this link***

M
mig Offline
M
Really ToP? Hmmm, McAfee Site Advisor thinks it is fine. Maybe you should add your review.

I didn't experience any problem myself but thank you for the word of caution!

mig

Sham Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Hi all,
Sorry to hear you had some issue when clicking the link but the virus software that I use (McAfee) didn't have any issue with that site - maybe somethings up with your PC?
I wouldn't post a link that would damage someone's computer even if I am just a new member on this site!!
all the best
Sham

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM