Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#362982 10/26/09 02:02 AM
S
smezma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello to the experts

I am firmly convinced diet is the way to go, but after a week of good results Im back in pain today, after a horror night.

Im am following Carol Sinclairs list of food minus night shades, dairy and sugar as I know I do not tolerate them. Also do not eat processed meat and usually no dried fruit (preservatives) but have had prunes that gave me tummy cramps.

Im terribly confused by the food lists being so contradictive. Today im going to only eat apples (red and peeled), lettuce, fish, celery and pineapple (cut one up, very ripe, tested it, it is yummy but could it cause a flare??)

Im considering the apple diet but Im concerned as maybe apples are not for me either.

I am thinking im super sensitive or am I doing/eating something very wrong? I dont ususlly eat much red meat and may have over done that and upset my digestion as I have a feeling of indigestion.

These are the foods ive eaten all last week
red meat, fish, tin tuna, eggs, lettuce, celery, cucumber, fennel, cabbage, garlic (crushed, cooked with meat), broccoli, parsley, coriander, apples, green grapes, pears, bottled peaches, pineapple, Hellmans mayo, fish sauce, lime juice, 100ml pure fresh apple juice.
Last Thurs had 1/2 avocado that tested ok.

I know I need to be patient and sort this out trial and error but if anyone has any suggestions to clear my confusion I would greatly appreciate it.

Everthing I eat seems harmful at the moment. This is weird coming from some one who pre-diet loved any food and lots of it.

I need a plan. What would you suggest???

Many thanks
Bren

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Hi Bren,

I'm no expert, but can offer you some thoughts based on my time with the diet (started in April/May this year).

Quote:

Im terribly confused by the food lists being so contradictive.

As others have commented before, throw out the food lists and focus on the iodine. I used the food list initially because I was too lazy to go out and buy iodine, but once I got the iodine list, I realized how conflicting the lists and iodine test results were. Part of that difference can be attributed to when the fruit/vegetable was picked.

Quote:

pineapple (cut one up, very ripe, tested it, it is yummy but could it cause a flare??)

I have the unenviable misfortune of being on a candida diet (essentially the same as the NSD but no sugar, including fruits). However, in two-week moment of weakness, I kicked the fruit embargo and tried eating various fruits. The pineapple I tried didn't turn color instantly, so I scarfed it down (yummmm). Later when I was cleaning up the plates, I noticed that there was a slight blueish tint to the iodine tested pieces - that indicated to me that there was still some trace starches in it. Sure enough, I felt some mild back stiffness and SI discomfort later in the day - it wasn't bad, but it was clear that the pineapple led to that. It sounds like yours was super ripe, if that's the case, you might be safe. One moral of the story is that sometimes, it takes a while for the iodine to show it's true colors (especially true for cucumber centers, see below).

Quote:

I need a plan. What would you suggest???

Hidden starches are sneaky. First thing I would do is test all of your supplements and meds to make sure you're not taking in any unecessary starches.

Most of the foods on your list look safe. As I mentioned earlier, the fruits can or cannot be starchy depending on the season and when they are picked. You may want to see how you feel if you ditch the fruits for a week. For what I've read from earlier posts, grapes are probably the safest fruits on your list. Double check to make sure the tin tuna and bottled peaches don't contain any hidden starches - use the iodine to re-evaluate these products. Maybe there's some preservative used that they snuck in there.

From my experience, I've occasionally noted that sometimes the centers of cucumbers are starchy (not often, but enough times where I go through the hassle of cutting the centers out). Cabbage is typically safe too, but there are times where I noticed it to be starchy. I tend to cut out the core or thick pieces as I suspect those are more likely to be starchy (not 100% sure on that...). Lastly, many people feel that cooking the vegetables releases the starches - so make sure you test it after you cook and consider not cooking the vegetables too long initially.

The next approach may be a little draconian in nature, but it may shed some light on some of your reactions. Some people in using diet to manage their arthritis go through an elimination diet. This is where they start with a blank slate, and every day or two, they rotate in one food. This way it becomes easier to determine what they don't react to. You may not want to start from square 0, and just assume that red meat, fish, eggs, are OK.

I'm a big proponent of a food/pain diary - it's helpful to determine if any patterns emerge that are food related. I no longer keep one, but when I started the diet, it was an invaluable tool for me.

Best of luck!

Freddie

PS. The SE Asian in me throws a shout out for the fish sauce/lime pairing! Yum!!!!

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
D
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
D
Hi Bren and Former Foodie
I can't add much more to what Former Foodie has said.
I'm interested that quite a few people react badly to sugars in fruit that are supposedly OK.
Originally I used a lot of sultanas and raisins in salads but eventually abandoned them and had improved IBS symptoms.
Later I started taking more and more dates but eventually realized they were causing spinal stiffness although they didn't appear to cause much problems wrt to IBS symptoms.
Figs are definitely too sugary for me.
I would be concerned about cabbage.
I still eat pinapple, peaches, kiwi fruit, and other reasonably sweet fruits and fear having salads with little more than just green leafy lettuces and a like, whilst it might be the safest option, makes mealtime a pretty unpleasant experience.
After two years on LSD then NSD I'm still trying to perfect what I can and can't eat.
Cutting out the centre of cucumbers is something I might try - removing the seeds. Would you apply this theory to all seeds - example in kiwi fruit? Seeds are almost by denition starchy - I think?? [**BLEEP**] if I have to start coring my kiwi fruit.

Good luck Bren and thanks Foodie for your input.

Dx Oct 2006 B27+ undifferentiated spondlyarthropathy (uSpA) with mild sebhorrhoeic dermatitis and mild Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) controlled by NSD since 2007.
S
smezma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That was just what I needed. Thank you so much for your time to type such a long reply.

I will do the diary properly now, had stared but not matching pain to the food. How long do you think reactions come after eating something?
Is the fish sauce and lime ok? Its the only way i can get white fish eaten. No im not SE Asian, plain Aussie!!
I have been iodine testing everything and will continue. My naturopath said i can only expect a 20% pain reduction when I consulted him on the diet. Not sure why he said that so will ask more questions.

Again, much gratitude.
Bren

K
New_Member
New_Member
K
Hi Bren,
I know how you're feeling. When I first went on the NSD, I got worse, not better. I was so depressed. It turns out that I am one of the (seemingly many) who actually can't tolerate sugary fruit or dairy - so the NSD with lots of apples and cheese was a total disaster! It was only after a lot of boring food diary writing that I got to where I am now - which is in control, though not 100% pain free. Of your list, I can't eat grapes or apples. Pineapple is the wonderful wonderful fruit that I love and for some reason I can totally stuff myself on it with NO PROBLEMS. I love it. I know others can too, perhaps cause it's a very different fruit - a cactus, I think. We're all a bit different though, so do the food diary and good luck.
Kylie

L
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
L
smezma,
Hi, nice to meet you.
I am no expert, but in the 45 years I have been i pain form this monster, I have eaten a lot of food! lol
Dragon slayer, told me years ago, everything would probably make me sick to start with, he was right. I can not stay on the diet long enough to be in remission. But I do know what I eat makes me sick. So Ifast when needed and then go to the apple diet. Yes, I feel like I am going to die, but have not yet. continue to journal your food, keep posting and realize we understand.
Anything with milk, mayo, sugar, and wheat will make me sick within a few minutes. That is just a fact.
We are glad you are here, stay the course, keep the faith and post to us! I made myself eat apples, when I could stay home and kind of got over the afect they had on me.

I keep the New Covenant,
when I fail....I am pulled
back into place by HIM.
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
You may be (very) unlucky like me- as I seem to react to LOTS of unstarchy foods. I have been married to my iodine bottle since March, but my pain levels are still waver a lot (though significantly better, most of the time).

An elimination diet has helped me A TON.... this summer I fasted and then added one food at a time.... and found out (BAM!!!), that cabbage was a monster for me... the minute I eliminated it, my pain went from a daily 6-4, to a daily 2-5 (rarely above 4). If I eat romaine lettuce, trout and celery, I can get ALMOST pain free, but I can not survive on that (obviously).... so I am still in search of my pain free state .... but I thought my experience with the elimination diet might help you.

Also, beware of cucumbers.... I only eat seedless cucumbers (and even need to cut the centers of those out sometimes), since I discovered that the seeds themselves can be EXTREMELY starchy.... it does not show up with iodine, unless you split them open.... then they can be crazy black.

Good luck,
Stacey

My yum: celery/avocado/spinach/kale/arugula/chard/lettuce/kombu/nori/all microgreens(but I avoid sprouts)/all meats/bone broths/all fish/eggs/ oils: hazelnut oil/coconut oil /pecan oil /olive oil/walnut oil/pecan oil/pumpkin oil/avocado oil /ghee/nut butters: hazelnut/brazil nut/skinless marcona almond/tahini/coconut flour/coconut kefir/homemade 72 hour goats milk yogurt/umeboshi paste/thyme/grey sea salt/Garlic infused oils/
Fruit: berries, cherries, plums, nectarines, peaches
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
I think that's the thing to remember, isn't it?

Don't just cut a bit and drop on the old iodine - cut a bit, pound the cr@p out of it, bruise it, crucify it, then drop the iodine on it - and walk away for a while to see if the lurking monster comes out with all that punishment!

Where's the "NSD - The No Sweat version" manual???

Louise

Happy to be a physio by day, not happy to be a Spondy 24/7! wink3
Hi Bren,

Diet can be frustrating, I am not convinced it works for everyone yet... but it is definitely worth a try for everyone in my opinion as I had many side effects from meds and we can live without those.

You may want to eliminate the Mayo unless absolutely sure safe... I stay away from nearly all processed foods. Last job in States I had was at processed cheese plant. Although not on the label, I know they added starch as I costed out our inventory products and had to place a cost for the starch we added (was less than 2 percent so did not have to go on label I believe).

Most of the other foods you listed I am fine with personally. Exception is avocado, flares me every time.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
Inky, I like how you put that..... gave me a good laugh. Punish the food, before it punishes you.

"Traveler, there is no road, you make your path as you walk." - Antonio Machado
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 32 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM
Numb fingers, nerve pain
by Stevenage69 - 07/12/22 11:06 AM