Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 42 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 41 42
Quote:

...but I want as least government interference in my life as possible.

You gotta love the people at the Town Halls yelling "Keep your [**BLEEP**] government hands off my Medicare!" Where do these people come from?

One solution proposed was pretty simple, lower the age of Medicare to 1 year old.

Timo
Grimm Offline OP
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Sorry to disagree Timo but I think most of those people are retired person's who worked the whole lives, contributed to "the system" and actually believed that "the system would be there when they needed it.

I personally believe that I have contributed to "the system" (social security, unemployment, medicare) since I started work at 14 and now at 43 and unable to work for the last 5 months- I should be allowed to draw unemployment, apply for disability and apply to medicare/medicaid or something for help. I understand that I have to apply so as to keep people from taking advantage. But I do feel that I am allowed to because of my contributions.

I think that maybe people at the town halls are angry because the feel that their contributions will be used for people who have not paid into the system- ie. illegals, people who choose not to work, etc. and that when the time comes that they themselves need it, the money will be gone.
I think they have valid fears- social security alone has gone through several changes from it's original set up.

Unfortunately it is hard to trust a government (current and former) that changes it's tune so often. It is difficult to trust any large institution to have your best interest at heart- just look at banking, hospitals, schools, insurance to name a few.

The town hall explosions are the result of a bigger picture. In my humble opinion- Thank you for your point of view on these weighty issues.

Anna

My point was that the people yelling these things didn't realize that their Medicare was government run. The noise generated by the health insurance industry has been enough to confuse many. They have to protect their shareholders and that's what is important to them, not actual people.

Timo
Grimm Offline OP
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Well said Timo- I think that is a point that we can all agree on!

All of this makes one wish for Utopia.

Anna

AS Czar
AS Czar

ugh!

This thread is getting too political and it risks being locked or deleted.

Quote:

misguided, misinformed, and expressed with alterior motives

Did You mean to say posterior motives?

Free speech is what we are allowed to some extent even here, but don't abuse the privilege by being offensive to others, especially when You specifically don't express Your own ideas better than this--otherwise we are certain that You are talking about only about Yourself.

THREE

John

P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Quote:

This country and our northern neighbor would not be anywhere near the free bastions that they are without free speech.

Dean

There's something we all can agree with!

L
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
L
Anna,
Just having some fun.
And checking to see if I was invisible or not.
It is nice to have you as part of the fam.

I keep the New Covenant,
when I fail....I am pulled
back into place by HIM.
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
Hey Timo,

I think you may have been swayed by too many of the left leaning news sources. First, those who have been "yelling these things" at the Town Hall meetings are definitely informed. They know that Medicare is run by the government, and they also know that Medicare is poorly run, loaded with fraud, and bankrupt. Also, they know that those of us who own stock in the insurance companies are the villainous stockholders you hear so much about. To whom would you have the doctors or hospitals be responsible? Us, or the Government, who bring us such well run organizations as the post office, Medicare, and Medicaid, the same government that brings you $1,000.00 hammers and toilet seats.

Personally, I would rather my Dr. and I decide on my treatment, not my government or my insurance company. So, if we are going to fix something, we should be concentrating on fixing this: Get those who don’t know beans about medicine out of medical decisions. And that is what the Town Hall folks are yelling about.

Keep the Faith!

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Timo,

I think these folks are well aware that the government runs Medicare and other programs. My best inclination is that they are leery of the government using the funds meant for health insurance and leaving I.O.U.s much like they have done with our Social Security program (even though that is what SS has always been). As Dean stated, most of the attendees of these town hall meetings are politically engaged and keep close tabs on the actions of these lawmakers.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Quote:

Personally, I would rather my Dr. and I decide on my treatment, not my government or my insurance company. So, if we are going to fix something, we should be concentrating on fixing this: Get those who don’t know beans about medicine out of medical decisions. And that is what the Town Hall folks are yelling about.

Well, some of them anyway. But that fear is unfounded as nothing in any bill in either house will result in the govt. making medical decisions. The decision is and always will be between you and your doctor. There will be recommendations about what procedures have worked before (hoping to cut down on expensive tests that have failed to work in similar cases), but nothing will DEMAND that doctors follow the panel's advice. And the desire to keep the insurance companies from disallowing or not covering certain tests/procedures will be met with the proposed reform, so you should be happy that reform is coming -- I think you'll like it.

In the end the town halls were very successful, because through the discussion, mostly civil (the media covered only the loud ones), good information was available to those who wanted to hear something beyond fear tactics.

Page 7 of 42 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM