Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#359862 10/03/09 09:58 PM
trudi Offline OP
Diamond_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
is WOW!!!!

After a couple sessoins the therapist figured out my problems after we got my feet taken care of....

Every tendon, ligament and muscle, esp in my pelvic girdle was in a horrid flare. Something I already knew, but he'd not ever had to work so hard & long on such issues.

The logic of this therapy made sense to me so I tried it. Trauma to my foot, or wherever, caused the muscles, ligaments, tendons to start tightening up to form a splint to protect the area. If gone long enough, the bones will start to form a permanent splint and start filling in gaps with bone. This also causes the myofascial to bunch up in painful spots (trigger points) as well.

soooooo, today he found the ROOT of why my body was tightening up after each therapy and even after osteopathic adjustments. My coccyx was severely bent and the ligaments around it were unusually thick (tense), which pulled on everything in my pelvic girdle, hips, low back, stuff in my gut... gah! It was amazing to feel him release a muscle by my belly button and feel the ligaments & muscles in my hip release too!

It is so challenging to explain, but it was amazing to see my hip rotate without pain in a range I haven't been able to move in years! Even that strange stitching pain I've had in my gall-bladder area was dealt with (a T12 & pelvic girdle issue!)

I always thought my pain was rooted in the injury 14 years ago that resulted in a stress fractured pelvis (the activities were so traumatic that my muscles literally cracked my pelvic bone!). And my body responded in healing the injuries and SI areas with bone.

I'm not sure how long this will last, but I am taking this experience as being a God-send for today.

Today I am thankful that the burning pains in my pelvis, hips, rear, groin areas are gone for now. It was strange after he finished with my tailbone, it got SUPER HOT! I almost asked for an ice pack! LOL! He said things are relaxed enough to allow the blood to flow properly...

so the next sessions will be to work on my back and neck. I found out that the triggers for scapulae/trap spasms/pain is in your arms/armpit area! YEOWCH!

now to practice all I've learned on my hubby!!... muahahahaha!!!!

~ Trudi: homeschooling mom to 6: 16,14,11,9,7, 6 mos

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I have horrible painful spots under my armpit on my shoulder surgery side - was *Massively bruised there post surgery. Still get painful spasms in my operated shoulder area. But yes, can find trigger pain areas under my armpit and along side of breast tissue. Most uncomfortable. Hmmmmm. Wonder IF this therapy would work for me. Bah. No one who does owt like that in my vicinity. Paris, yes. But too far. Oh well.

Facinating topic Trudi. Facinating.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
trudi,

so glad this is helpful for you! right now my triggerpoints and myofascial pain are my biggest issues (outside of the SI). but when they are pressed on or stretched, they get worse instead of better, but ultrasound and triggerpoint injections make mine better, just not as simple as pressing them out.

may i ask you how they are doing your therapy? are they pressing on the triggerpoints to release them? or something else? and are they doing anything else besides releasing the triggerpoints, like some kind of soft tissue work or something?

i'd love to have other tools in my toolbox for my triggerpoints ad myofascial pain.

if they are pressing them out and teaching you how to do it, i have "the triggerpoint therapy workbook" that shows lots of pictures of which triggerpoints yield which referred pain, good referred pain maps. also teaches how to use the theracane to press them out. i don't use it for that, but did use it to learn, if my neck is spasming and my face is numb, its because of the triggerpoints in my upper back, etc.

thanks for any advice you can give me and again so glad you have found something so helpful,

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
trudi Offline OP
Diamond_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
the biggest clue to getting this therapy to work is getting the feet in order first. nothing will stay if they are not in alignment.

and, it seems, that sometimes it takes more than just pushing on the painful areas. can't fully explain it, but the guy is not officially trained a certain way. He kind of fumbled with different things (accupuncture, massage, reflexology, myofascial release, etc) and found the similarities and went from there because... get this.. his WIFE has been diagnosed with AS and his goal is to keep her pain as minimal as possible. This therapy also pulled him from 30 years (?) of chronic pain as well.

It is not a cure-all for everyone. But, he's had miraculous things happen for most of the people he's worked on. If his 'patients' are not responding well, he suggests prolotherapy and sometimes getting an osteo adjustment and that is usually the clincher on having things fall into place.

I've known about a lot of what he does.. I just didn't understand the order of the work. Like, stopping the problems in the lumbar region first to separate the thorasics from the pelvis. Otherwise, if those are there, no matter what you do above or below will interact with each other. You'll stop the top, and the bottom will pull it back into spasm, etc.

Another problem he was having with me was getting my IT bands & all the 'stuff' to release in my pelvis, psoas, etc. They were strung tighter than a drum and not releasing... until he dealt with the ones in my belly & then around the coccyx. Then the deep ligaments released.

I expect to be in a lot of pain tomorrow as my body adjusts and possibly goes out of wack the other way.

I'm not 100% convinced this will make me pain free forever, but if it is something that relieves SOME of my pain, I'm THERE! Gotta put some intense heat on it tonight as he said ice tends to shorten muscles & ligaments too much, which makes sense.

This is another thing that makes me think about this disease.... did the activities that led up to my pelvic fracture cause things to get out of wack, thus triggering the spondy?

Or did the spondy already start damaging my SI, which caused everything to go out of wack, causing my fracture?

A lot to contemplate and I'm sure I'll never know. I'm probably grasping at straws because the evidence of SI damage didn't show up until months after my fractured pelvis. And I went thru many years of very little pain, if any. Also the fact of having another autoimmune disease that is usually triggered by an initial autoimmune.... heh... at least this may give me a little quiet in my cranky spine & hips!

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Thanks for sharing! I am glad you got some relief! You deserve it! Please keep us posted!

Craig

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
That's awesome news Trudi!

While the docs were figuring out what was wrong with me, my rheumy and his colleague recommend that I try myofascial release. I had gotten deep tissue massage for years and was pretty particular with what I wanted when it came to a massage. One of my epiphones came from the MFR expert (who is also a PT). After explaining her my struggles with traditional PT, she just said, you're body isn't ready for that. So, I let her work her magic, and over time, definitely felt it helped. Similar to one of your areas, she really worked my psoas to get my low back to release. She also did some direct and indirect work on my piriformis (a big trouble spot for me) and it was awesome to feel it release and unspasm.

While I still love a deep tissue massage, I believe that a really good MFR session is going to be much more beneficial for those who have pretty serious chronic conditions. I think it's awesome that you found someone who understands AS; that in itself is worth the price of admission. In my case, I feel that when I'm in a flare, I won't be able to sustain the benefit from an MFR session.

Congrats again on the relief! Yay!

Freddie

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
this is just such great news for you, and thanks for sharing it and trying to explain it. sounds like something i could really use, but haven't found anyone good enough to really do it properly,

thanks again,

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Great Trudi!!!

Your story does have some overlap to mine, I've been getting weekly pelvic floor therapy for months now, and making a lot of progress

My sessions always start with the therapist checking to see if my legs are equal in length, when I started, one was definitely longer than the other, which of course, means logically that I was not standing properly to compensate for that

and the tailbone, too. My X-Rays showed quite a curve to mine, and remembering when that was discovered, it seemed to be obvious to everyone that it would need to be corrected, by surgery or a chiropractic-type of adjustment

When I showed the X-Ray to my therapist, she just said: "or maybe the muscles in that area are pulling it into that position.."

Which now seems more simple and logical, but we just didn't think of it that way at the time, perhaps that's just a Western way of viewing it, (hit it with a hammer..) now coming around to a better approach, to work on the muscles rather than the bone

My current theory is that my whole waist area has gotten so out of alignment, possibly due to the SI joint pain for so many years, that I have unconsciously to learned to walk and sit in ways to avoid the pain, and that has eventually caused other problems, and the main result is pelvic floor/tailbone muscles that have gotten chronically tight.

So now getting the trigger point therapy to teach those muscles to relax, and just as importantly, doing daily exercises to strengthen the abdominals and shoulders, so that THEY will do more of their fair share of the burden of the work around here

Dow
M
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Trudi,
Hooray for you!!!
Congrats on feeling better!!!
I have been having similar therapy since April and I'm not sure how I would have done it w/o it! It is amazing isn't it? Also what we do along with that is lymphatic drainage. I tend to hold on to toxins so the drainage helps alot too!

I am happy you are feeling better and now that you know what works and what your body is screeming at you , hopefully your therapist and yourself will continue on this healthy new journey!

LOL

mamallama ------------- "Laughter is life's and sanity's purest medicine" !!Me!!
trudi Offline OP
Diamond_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
update 2 days after my 'big' release. That numb spot in my Trap, just at the edge of my left shoulder is no longer numb! I scratched my back last night and realized I could feel it properly! My MFR therapist sent me to his really, really good chiro to work on my rotated T6, which allowed the muscles/myofascia to release and now the nerves are moving freely.

I have slept like a log both nights and have awakened groggy, just from such a deep sleep. It feels good. I am still sore and have pain, but not to the unbearable degree of before. I have noticed my neck & occiputs are acting strangely because my left ear is in pain. My therapist told me to be wary of my bones shifting unusually afterwards and to get things back in alignment because once things are released, my body may try to over-adjust because it is not knowing where to sit everything.

A lot more work needs to be done yet, but it looks like a good road. Now, maybe i can start working out a little and getting back into shape without such damaging reprocussions! Because of my body mis-firing and working out of order, simple things would cause havoc.

I see a hope on the horizon today. maybe. at least for today!

I'm glad to hear others having similar experiences!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!