Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
dogsled Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. It's still the first week, but I think I'm doing pretty well at staying away from starch, thanks to The List. I've been eating a few unknowns--watermelon, Brazil nuts, a little bit of garlic (a few cloves to flavor a huge vat of pot roast), Trader Joe's organic original flavor beef jerky, cheeses--but have definitely dispensed with the biggees. Just getting off the cookies, bread, pasta, corn products and potatoes is a huge change for me.

We were on the road all day yesterday and had dinner out, which I thought would be a huge challenge. But it was fine. I brought along a head of romaine lettuce, a bag of raw carrots, some peeled almonds, some string cheese and some beef jerky. We came upon a farmers market, where we bought a bunch of organic fruit and a half-wheel of locally produced cheese, then took it all to the beach for a picnic. At dinner, I had a big salad and asked for vegetables alongside my entree (fresh-caught halibut). Didn't eat the warm bread (that was tough) and hoped the minestrone soup was free of too much starch. (I ate around the few beans and pieces of pasta I saw--it was mostly vegetables.)

Interestingly, I haven't been feeling the afternoon slump that I usually get after lunch. Lunches have mostly been huge salads--dark greens topped with tomato, avocado, red onion, carrots, and sometimes chicken or nuts or tofu. I get hungry three hours later, but I guess that's what happens when you don't add a bunch of cookies, cake or peanut-and-chocolate chip trail mix to the afternoon menu! So while my energy overall is a little lower on this diet, I'm not getting the ups and downs. Also, in the last couple days, the one-egg omelets are holding me over for longer. I think there's been an adjustment period, plus I've begun adding more vegetables to them.

My AS symptoms remain about the same--maybe slightly less tailbone pain? Hard to say. My gut has been quiet as a mouse, but this is not any sort of indicator as I can go months without any sort of gut involvement.

I could use some menu ideas. Is there a "what I ate today" thread anywhere? If not, maybe I'll start one. I haven't seen one. I did peruse the recipes thread, but there wasn't a lot there.

J
New_Member
New_Member
J
Quote:

and hoped the minestrone soup was free of too much starch. (I ate around the few beans and pieces of pasta I saw--it was mostly vegetables.)

Dogsled, when I was first starting out on this NSD adventure, I thought the same thing, ate around beans and pasta in minestrone, and learned the hard way that it doesn't work. I later did iodine testing to see how much starch leeches into the water in which things like pasta or potatoes were cooked, and discovered that it is incredibly starchy - iodine in the cooking water turned black immediately.

Good luck, it takes a while to figure this diet out.

Jeanette

Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Hi Dogsled,

Congratulations on your inventiveness for a good day out. Here's what I've learned this week with my painful trial and error:

I've learned the very hard way that avocados are starchy! Tim also confirmed that they send him into a flair. So you may want to eliminate them.

It's recommended to test every single thing with iodine when you start out (well, I guess that would not include meat or eggs), and I now see why that is so essential. The Starch Content of Foods list is a good start, but the information on vegetables, for example, is not always accurate. Maybe the starch content also varies depending on when and how a food is grown.

John has warned me that zucchini, white cabbage, and possibly fennel bulb may also contain starch. They need to be tested each time to be sure. It makes sense to me because zucchini is a mildly muscilgenous (sp?) veg. I've eaten a ton of zucchini this week and have been in a flare state, so there you go. I've read on the list of other sometimes suspect vegetables like cauliflower...sometimes it can test good and sometimes not. And even watermelon. Can't wait to get the iodine.

My best wishes to you!

Faith Berry Food Intolerances: gluten, casein, histamine containing and histamine liberating foods, glutamates, high oxalates, and fructose malabsorption (not starchy foods!) Medications: Xyzall H1 antihistamine, Gastrocrom (mast cell stabilizer) My blog: http://mastcellsandme.blogspot.com
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
To add to other peoples comments, if the minnestroni is tomato based that can be a problem, and raw tomatos can test starchy if not properly ripe. Is the beef jerky seasoned at all...? I'd be suspicious of that if it is not just plain dried meat. Also carrots... being a root vege. Some vege that are fine raw can become starchy on cooking, too. Only way to know for sure is to test test test. And I've learnt that the hard way.

"Traveler, there is no road, you make your path as you walk." - Antonio Machado
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Dogsled,

Here is another tool that can help serve as a guide.

Nutrition Data - Example: Avocado

Again, the only foolproof way to make a determination regarding starch is to use the iodine.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
D
dogsled Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback and warnings. I don't have any iodine. Hoping the health food store will have some--heading there tomorrow, where I'll also look for coconut flour.

Tailbone's sore today. Does anyone else get this as a symptom of AS? I'm never sure if it's an AS thing or a matter of sitting too long in front of the computer. As I get older, there's not as much padding back there!

So . . . avocados can be problematic and the beef jerky might be, too, because it's got soy sauce (wheat-free) and sugar on the list of ingredients. What about sugar? As a rule, I'm trying to stay away from any sugar that's not naturally occurring in fruits or veggies.

Also, I see that salad greens come in at .4 on the list. Is that high or low on the starch scale? I'm eating a ton of them--arugula, baby lettuces, etc. The Earthbound Farm organic mix.

Faithberry, I hope you're feeling better. Saw your other posts about a big flare. Frustrating, doing all this food-watching, just to have a flare. Sigh.

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
If salad greens clock in a 0.4 per 100 grams and you have been eating them with no issue, then avocado should be fine at 0.1 per 100 grams. I eat avocados all the time and don't suffer any ill effect. Then again, I'm more LSD than I am NSD I suppose. Haven't been able to give up rice milk and don't worry so much about starchy supplements until I don't decide to buy them again.

Also, if the beef jerky is homemade or if you know it is unseasoned, it should be fine. Spices are starchy.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Someone else here said that avocados always cause a flare. Guess we are all different! They put me into extreme pain.

Faith Berry Food Intolerances: gluten, casein, histamine containing and histamine liberating foods, glutamates, high oxalates, and fructose malabsorption (not starchy foods!) Medications: Xyzall H1 antihistamine, Gastrocrom (mast cell stabilizer) My blog: http://mastcellsandme.blogspot.com
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Could be something inherent to that food or food family and the consumer. For example, I had quite the problem with including raw cabbage in my juice once upon a time (effects were so adverse that I haven't tried again ). Cooked cabbage, as it sounds you have found out, can be a problem in regard to starch, but I don't believe that raw cabbage is starchy (sorry don't have any around to test with the iodine). Yet it provoked some kind of painful bodily reaction. Others have reported similar experiences.

Go with what you know...ya?

Kind Regards,
Jay

Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
I get it. I've been eating things cooked, including the apples, and even warmed up the avocado...so that may have released the starch...

Sorry, brain fog. Taking me time to get the fine points of the diet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 7 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
A video on the reduction of suffering
by Prost007 - 01/27/22 06:59 PM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
My Experience via a short video
by Ako - 01/09/22 12:03 PM
Very long time no see
by wolverinefan - 12/14/21 12:14 PM
Will Vaccines Flare me?
by tux - 07/24/20 01:46 PM