Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChaCha Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
C
Hi all,
I have Ct scans that show sacroiliac inflammation, and all classic symptoms of AS, and rhuemy in agreement--but am HLA B27 negative. I bought Carol Sinclair's IBS/LSD book, and she seems to think that diet is not as helpful for HLA negative people. I have been following L/NSD for about 3-4 weeks now, in addition to indomethacin and oral methotrexate, and tummy is a bit irritated/crampy/irregular. I feel like if I had some bran flakes at breakfast, it would help me out, but don't want to mess with any positive effects from NSD.
Hard to decide what to do...
So, my question is: who of you out there is HLA B27 negative and feel like diet is helping???

P
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
P
I am HLA neg. I am doing LSD. I think it helps. But then again my stomach has been trashed for decades now. So I do think its helping. I cheated big time about a month and a half ago and paid for it for about a week. So I do notice the difference. When I crave starch I have a fruit with starch, like a banana or two. I may not be as helpful for us neggies, but it seems to be helping me. Good luck and stay with it. It won't hurt unless you have a sugar problem.

M
M
I am HLA neg as well, but found the LSD very helpful in dealing with my sciatic pain. Over the course of a year, I've found that I tolerate some starches (like fruit) but potatoes almost always trigger sciatic pain. You might try citracel or something like that for the bad tummy, if you're worried about irregularity.

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
I am HLA negative and NSD didn't work for me. I got sick within a few days and had to quit.

M
MJR Offline
M
I'm neg also and I do the LSD. I had to add oatmeal and brown rice. I eat according to the book "Eat Right For Your Blood Type". I also take natural antibotic that are good for bacteria, fungi, parisite, and virus. Since I started the LSD I feel remarkably better. When I slip up I pay.

Mary Jo
J
New_Member
New_Member
J
I'm another HLA-B27 negative, and have been doing the NSD since 2005. My symptoms have always been relatively mild (at least compared to what I read here), but the NSD definitely helps me. I went strict NSD from the beginning because I wanted to see as quickly as possible if it would help me. It took about a month and a half before it started working well for me. I have to stay relatively strict, too, otherwise pain slowly creeps back.

Jeanette

C
ChaCha Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
C
Thanks for the info. I feel like if I could add either oatmeal or some good old bran flakes, my belly would feel better. It is hard to tell if the diet is doing anything,(pain wise) since I am on the meds. I talked with my doc, and he suggested that we stop the indocin, keep up the methotrexate and stick with the diet to see if I can deal with getting rid of the NSAID. Maybe if pain is not too bad, that will mean diet is working, and hopefully MTX working too. I follow up with him in 6 wks.

R
New_Member
New_Member
R
Do you feel that you need the bran flakes to feel full or because you are constipated? Some have suggested coconut oil, or as Carol Sinclair in he book promotes dried fruit why not try a few prunes/ dates? That should get things moving.
If it's because of the full feeling why not have a cooked breakfast? eggs, bacon etc? I can eat nothing until dinner if I have this for breakfast!

R
New_Member
New_Member
R
Forgot to mention:
I have been on diet for 7 weeks. I now have stopped taking methotrexate ( have fuzzy regrowth in my hair too!)sulfalazine, arava, voltaren and yes even a TNF INHIBITOR!(Infliximab) Stick to the diet STRICTLY- no licks or tastes... I feel heaps better I think it's taken this long to adjust to the diet.. Good Luck.

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Hey Negs! I'm also a neg and have been on the diet for a year. I recently had a flare and was weeks short of going 1 year flare free. I believe the flare was from too much heavy lifting mixed with not being strict enough on the diet. I think maybe if you plan on doing alot of activity, then get strict on the diet. Its all about experimentation. Get away with what you can-but be mindful of everything.

Hey, somebody stole my quote! - Me
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM