Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#276231 10/27/07 11:50 PM
G
gingann Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
G
Has anyone had a good experience consuming whey protein powder? I am considering buying Solgar's Whey to Go protein powder. It says that it is starch free. Before I spend $35, I thought I'd ask for any opinions. I know that a majority of products like this are not NSD legal. It would be nice to have this for a quick breakfast or snack item, though. Thanks for any input!

A
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
A
It's ok for me. I use Solgar from time to time to fight underweight, it's pricy but really good quality, no junk in it.

Z
New_Member
New_Member
Z
Protein supplements are great but be careful. I bought a simple carb/protein mix once, said exactly this on the package: "This product is starch free and has been manufactured in a starch free facility" I bought it and decided to try a 500ml shake after a long day at work and I had a very bad reaction (flares) from it. I tested it with iodene and stuff went almost black. Hope you have better luck with yours.

This topic comes up time and again, you can search on it. But generaly consensus is that it causes flares if I recall.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
A
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
Hi gingann,

I have the unflavored whey protein from Jarrow. It tested negative for starch.
Alecia

"Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot if you can heal the patient with food." Hippocrates
P
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
P
Hi I don't know why but casein protein from cows causes problems with some people, me for one. However I am fine with goats dairy products and caprotein from mt capra has been ok. Not sure why this happens I am guessing the protein does not get digested and the immune system mounts a response in the gut.

Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
I'm still waiting before i purchase and use the k-caseine milk that is available in Australia and NZ - presume it is elsewhere as well - i'm basically just happy to drop milk products.
Farmers have changed their herd's entire gene pool to promote a specific market. Proteins and protein folding is such a huge discipline that i have not ventured into researching it, but both gluten and casein tend to be broken easily by acids (eg our stomachs HCl), but only into coagulating lumps that not everyone has the ability to digest any further.
I have had no issue with whey, but i know there are a few different types of dairy protein to consider. The thing to remember is that whey proteins are easily and quickly digested into amino acids and glucose while caseines are slow acting, long-lasting and therefore, more of an issue for us all.
I've always hoped and almost believe that kefir does have the ability to digest most caseines into smaller bits. However, it also contains complex carbos (kefirin) and i do not know how digestible they are by me.
Hope we can all read and experiment and inform as we go along.

Ted

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln
Ted,

Do you make your own Kefir?

I am looking into it personally and they have both a milk and water based variety here. Dr. Mercola states should never use with pasteurized milk, but I do not have an option with raw milk here.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Have been making sauerkraut with good success thus far.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
O
oms Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
O
I've made the Kefir. It's not to hard. This is the method I was shown.

Bring 2 or 4 liters of whole milk to a boil in a big pot.
watch the pot carefully to make sure it doesn't boil over
turn it down let it simmer for about 5 mins
Let it cool to room temp
Skim the top layer off
Put it into a container with a loose fiting top (It needs some air to grow the bacteria)
Add a kefir starter mix (I found some in the grocery store)
Let it do it's thing on top of the fridge over night (sort of a warm fermentation)
Put it in the fridge once it's thickened up a bit ....usually the next day
Leave it in the fridge with a loose fitting lid or cloth (it needs to breathe)
It's ready to eat
add a little brown sugar every few days to feed the good bacteria

A cool Hungarian lady that ran a health food store showed me this method of making it. I'm sure there are many ways but this was easy and it turned out great. I use it for all kinds of dishes. Some people also say to start slow and don't eat to much in the beginning to see how your system reacts.

cheers

Oliver

oms #276240 10/31/07 06:57 AM
P
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
P
Hi there is no need to boil the milk the kefir grains/powders have much stronger strains than used in yogurt and out grow contaminants. You can use raw or pasturised milk, obviously the main difference is lack of naturals substances found in raw milk. However when making yogurt you do need to pasturise the milk by bringing it first to 180f then cool to 100 and add starter. Back to kefir though, you can culture it for 24hrs, I do but the lactose may not be as used up, tolerance builds over time though. So 48hrs may be better. A couple of URLs are below

www.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html
http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/ferfun.html

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 32 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM
Numb fingers, nerve pain
by Stevenage69 - 07/12/22 11:06 AM