Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268016 09/24/07 01:44 PM
M
MarkCS Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
I was reading carol sinclair's book and she reccomended to eat fruits and vegetables raw. Her reasoning was that most vegetables and fruits contain starch, even if it is in very small amounts, but that if eaten raw the starch remains locked inside the cells food and passes through us undigested which means the Klebeisalla can't feed on it (whereas if they are cooked the cell walls breakdown and the starch is available to the bacteria).

However, I then saw on the SCD website. That elaine gottshall (who also says to avoid starch) says that fruits and vegetables should be cooked. Basically she is saying the exact opposite of carol? Her reasoning is that cooked vegetables are easier to digest and thus get digested in the upper intestinal tract (and not the lower tract where the klebessilla reside).

So which is it then. She vegetables and fruits be cooked or eaten raw?

Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
What would life on the internet be if we did not get conflicting advice?
Unfortunately (sigh) we must do some work ourselves and luckily the answer is available...
The correct answer to your question is to eat vegetables the way that does not make YOUR BODY flare. Fruit and veggie are two different animals and cannot be lumped together for this purpose.
Both points have value and this is one of the few areas where i academically lean Elaine's way - especially as Carol comes to us via her very own GIT. I don't know about you, but i actually want the stuff that is locked inside the plants cells as i cannot process lignin and cellulose very well at all - ever since my appendix was formed after my ruminant days (millenia).
I grow obscure and cryptic.
Time for bed.

Ted

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln
I eat salads with raw veggies (carrots, celery, lettuce, cabbage, olives...etc..), but prefer my veggies steamed (brocoli, kale, cabbage, asparagus...). I personally have not noticed a difference... but some do have issues.

So as Ted points out, individualistic.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hey, MarkCS:

With Elaine Gotschall it is speculation (and I believe) that is not based upon any direct experience with AS. Carol, per contra, does not speculate, but relates actual AS experiences; it is not opinion or speculation.

Consider the potential that cooking releases some of the starch and leaves some in various in-between states with the rest still locked inside the cells. This is the worst case possible, I would think. With normal digestion, the cooked vegetables do not have enough time in the small intestine to eliminate all the starches released by cooking, and they will be presented to the bad bacterium that has expanded its territory into the small intestine to take advantage of all the starches normally flowing down the pike.

Cooking also inactivates most of the enzymes, which are there to help digest that specific food.

I go with RAW as the correct answer. I can eat raw cauliflower in small amounts, but cannot get away with eating it cooked--even lightly steamed.

Cooked is good after a fast or if we have damage that has not yet healed--as in Crohn's or cUC, but once we are up and running it is important to eat raw stuff in quantity.

bon appetit,
John

P
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Well, if we weren't able to extract stuff out of vegetable cell walls then we'd get very little good out of raw vegetables. We do have teeth, saliva, enzymes and so on that can break down cell walls. Cooking just does it more efficiently.

If your gut is in a sorry state, I'd stay away from raw until your digestion is working better. Other than that, let your body guide you.

P
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
P
I agree with other posts its all individual. But one thing to note is the SCD diet was started and targetted to help people with crohns, (elaines daughter). Elaine found out about it through research where it was used for the same purpose earlier in the 19th Century. The AS diet is for people with gut dysbiosis/AS but not necessarily crohns, colitis etc. The difference with crohns being the gut is bleeding and inflamed etc so you can imagine everything needs to be well cooked and soft.

Phil

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 34 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM