Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S

I am sitting here reading through posts , Looking for the soulution as I have felt the flare building . I have taken Celebrex , had a injection of Humeria this morning taken a Tramadol (some kind of painkiller) and a couple of Acetaminophen . I can already tell it going to take a sleeping pill to get any sleep ,then its only good for about 5 hrs and the pain will wake me. I have been on the NSD for a while and it has helped more than anything . I need to figure out a way to get a handle on this , The pain .........

Lieutenant_AS_Kicker
Lieutenant_AS_Kicker
Stay drunk.

Other than that, I'm as stumped as you.

Good luck,

-Bridget

"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people." -Victor Borge
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
When I was having alot of flare ups in the last couple years, I always took lots of hot baths...and took painkillers rx'd by my dr even before it was dx...
and I just sucked it up .. never missed work bec of it... I also tend to be grumpy and taking it out on people so that was how I coped. If I was alone and was having stabbing pains in my buttcheek/joint area as i was walking, I would scream and swear!

I am deaf!!! Finally dx'ed with AS after 10 years. Yes, that is my cat in the picture of me. Yes, he does look pizzed! He doesn't like being held!
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
I don't think there's a good way to deal with a flare. I will just get p'd off and scream and throw things (in the privacy of my own home of course) and if I was at work, I just tried to stay away from people as much as possible. Of course it never worked since I'm in a customer service style position! Alcohol when getting home was great (sicne I'm pregnant, can't take the alcohol approach right now ).
Good Luck! I know this wasn't much help!

Presidential_AS_Kicker
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Hi,
I used to have a very hard time with flares at work and school. I never could do anything for it at work or school, except for trying to not make it worse. I don't work anymore so it's easier to deal with them now, but it's still hard to do. I mostly try to keep warm and comfortable, and stay out of the bad weather as much as I can, so the flares don't keep coming back. I also stretch and exercise daily to keep them away, but I have to be careful or I will get a flare then I can't do anything for myself. I have to wear a towel around my neck at home so my neck don't flare. Heating pads help me sometimes, but not against the bigger flares. Other than that, I can't cope with them, except take meds and keep positive.

I'm sure this didn't help any either, but I tried.
Take care,
James.

HLA-B27+, JRA diagnosis in 1981, re-diagnosed as AS in 1988. Also iritis, colitis, and psoriasis. NSD + low carb helps me. My health makes it hard for me to post in a timely way.
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
I don't cope very well with flares, which is why I am doing so well sticking to NSD. Like you, it helps me more then anything else. One really nice thing, is that after about 5 months on NSD, when I did eat some starch and get in a flare, it only lasted for a few hours, rather then days or weeks. How long have you been on NSD? Things should just keep getting better the longer we stick with it. I would also suggest trying to build up the immune system with some starch free supplemtnts ( Vit C, Omega 3's, probiotics) and increasing healthy fats (coconut oil - organic and unrefined). This web site can help give you some ideas on boosting your immune system.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/

I now believe the medications are toxic, which only depress our immune system in the long run, so I try to avoid them by being VERY strick with NSD.

When in flare, ususally resulting from lack of discipline... I usually revert to hot showers, Flex All, taking it easy, listening to music etc...

Usually takes some time to pass, but at point now like Jeanne that they pass much more quickly than in the past.

Best to you on beating the flare,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
If it gets to the point where absolutely nothing else helps, and I can't stand it anymore, then I get a script for prednisone. Works like a charm and reduces pain enough to get a decent sleep. Lets me catch my breath and regain my sanity so I can cope again.
Like you, I'm currently on celebrex, tramadol, and humira, and I was still flaring. I added pred a few days ago.
Hope your flare eases soon.

M
New_Member
New_Member
M
I try to prevent flares. I cope by going to bed early 8pm. I listen to my XM radio and try to destress. I use microwave heating pads. I have also used magnet therapy for the SI/lower back. Hope you feel better soon.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Sorry you are having a hard time right now!

I stay in bed, lots of pain meds (oxycontin) & lots of steroids. I hate them but that is all that works for me.

I can not use Enbrel, Humira or Remicade due to continual lung problems.

Also finally after several years of insomnia I finally found a sleeping pill that works Halcion but I am sure it like all the others will quit working after it builds up in my system.

Good luck!

Lisa

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM