Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
F
I was speaking to a friend of mine at the weekend and on seeing how well I am on the NSD, she was wondering if the diet would work for other forms of Arthritis.
(I think specifcally she has a another friend with RA).

Does anybody have any experience in this field, or can they offer any comments.

Many Thanks.
Stuart.

B
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
See this - my empahasis

Ebringer A, Rashid T.
School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, Kings College London, London, UK.

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic and disabling polyarthritic disease, which affects mainly women in middle and old age. Extensive evidence based on the results of various microbial, immunological and molecular studies from different parts of the world, shows that a strong link exists between Proteus mirabilis microbes and RA. We propose that sub-clinical Proteus urinary tract infections are the main triggering factors and that the presence of molecular mimicry and cross-reactivity between these bacteria and RA-targeted tissue antigens assists in the perpetuation of the disease process through production of cytopathic auto-antibodies. Patients with RA especially during the early stages of the disease could benefit from Proteus anti-bacterial measures involving the use of antibiotics, vegetarian diets and high intake of water and fruit juices such as cranberry juice in addition to the currently employed treatments.

PMID: 16603443 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.
AS Czar
AS Czar

Hi, Stuart:

The best anti-inflammation diet is also, apparently, the NSD. When Giraud Campbell wrote his book, he did not distinguish between RA and AS (Marie--Strumpell's then), and we have had others with RA suggest that they found great benefits from going starch-free. I would consider this, but still go easy on heavy meats and emphasize fish (deep ocean or freshwater) and fowl otherwise mostly vegetarian and natural meals. Olive oil (extra-virgin, cold-pressed) in addition to other EFAs: Over 10 grams daily to start, total.

Best Regards,
John

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Bilko,
Thanks for posting that reference. I have an overgrowth of intestinal Proteus mirabilis, but I do not have RA. I also have never had a Pm UTI diagnosed. I checked my genetics and I discovered that I don't have the genes that make a person susceptible to RA. As I recall from Dr. Ebringer's papers, those genes are DR1, DR4, DR6, and DR10. I think that having those genes and carrying intestinal Pm (which can lead to infection of the urinary tract) is potentially a big risk for RA. And I can testify to the fact that Pm is not a nice intestinal resident to have in a dysbiosis situation. Overgrowth by this bacteria can be very toxic.

Pm is by genetics and habit a meat degrader. It has a large selection of protein degrading enzymes, but it is really lame at getting sugars and is unable to use most polysaccharides, including starches. When you look at the dietary treatment for RA from the viewpoint of Pm's behavior, it is really clear that a gluten free, casein free vegetarian diet is the best answer.

I am not optimistic about antibiotic treatment of Pm in the gut. I have tried a couple of alternative therapies (herbal antibiotic, immune stimulant) with no success. Pm is good at building resistant structures (biofilms, etc.) and develops antibiotic resistance quickly (getting genes from E. coli, for example). Both times I was treated for Pm, it came back very fast. Use of antibiotics makes dysbiosis worse, also. So my unbalanced microbial gut ecology just got more unbalanced.

My approach is to gradually transition from an SCD (Specific Carbohydrate) diet to a GF/CF vegetarian diet, that will probably never include any grains or starchy roots. (I seem to have a problem with yeast, as well.) I think that some one with RA should at least reduce the proportion of meat in their diet and avoid red meat and dairy (casein) completely. Continual flushing of the UT with water (at least 8-9 glasses a day) and acidification of the urine with fruit juices (especially cranberry juice at bed time) is very important, also. Pm's enzymes work best at alkaline pH, especially its urease enzyme, which breaks down urea in urine.
Jan

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella