Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234364 07/28/06 10:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Everyone,

I have always had a borderline Ferritin level. Since being on NSD, I started feeling more fatigue and tired. My GP checked my Iron level and it had decline to 12 ( 27-220).

I was told to stop NSD.

I was able to reduce my CRP from 75 to 12.9 and feel less inflamed.

Has anyone on NSD have had Iron deficiency and can provide feedback of how to increase the iron level and still continue with NSD.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Ali

#234365 07/29/06 01:05 AM
AS Czar
AS Czar

Hi, Ali:

There are very few nutrients in starches, even 'enriched,' but if you were consuming whole-grain products before, then you should consider replacing the B vitamins with a good B complex pill. Supplementation is important--not just for those of us on the NSD but for everyone with AS.

My sister is not a doctor, but a microbiologist. I told her your doctor had you stop NSD because of ferritin levels. Her comment: "That's really dumb; there is no connection!"

Quote:

I was able to reduce my CRP from 75 to 12.9 and feel less inflamed.

Is this ESR or CRP?, and You accomplished this due to the NSD?

ESR should be inversely proportional to hemoglobin levels, unless there is some cause for anemia.

Drink prune juice often, if possible, to get basic iron levels up, but utilization is better accomplished by taking B12 at over 1200mcg daily (on an empty--acid--stomach, or take betaine HCl up to 200mg 20-30 minutes prior to the B12 and then eat a normal meal), folic acid ( 2mg) zinc ( 50mg), copper ( 2-4mg), B5 ( 10mg), B6 ( 20mg), B2 ( 20mg). The iron if you need it at 10mg daily and don't get this from red meat.

It is the prune juice and B12 that helped me, when I was donating for my own operation.

I would be surprised that you did not get a B12 shot, but this doctor may not want to add another variable (I'm being too polite here...).

Good luck to You,
John

#234366 07/29/06 01:08 AM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Hey Ali,

I had about the same thing (can't remember the exact numbers, and also some internal bleeding (I don't know where from exactly yet). I was told to take extra Iron+folic acid, and about to have gastroscopy. If nothing will come up there, I will have a colonoscopy, to see where the demmage is.
Now, as people here have said, handling with the gut flora, and reducing ammount of germs or fungi, may leave "holes" in the tract, leading to bleeding, and therefor low Iron levels, as I see it. I believe it will graduately become better, as long as you are doing the right things to heal the tract.
If you take Iron, it should be more than 4 hrs before or after consuming dairy or caffeine, so my wise naturopath says.

best,
Oded.

People lose their health to gain money, and then they lose their money to save their health. Because of thoughts of the future they forget the present, therefore not living for the present, nor for the future, and while living like they'll never die, they die like they've never lived.
#234367 07/29/06 01:22 AM
P
Active_Member
Active_Member
P
Of all the simple-minded, reactive suggestions from a doctor, this one ranks high on the list.

A simple google search yields a variety of iron-rich foods:

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/irondeficiency/?view=textonly#elem220979

http://www.weightlossforall.com/iron-rich-food.htm

http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml

Or simply take a supplement. (Or as Ebringer suggests a steak washed down with red wine!)

Listen to your body first. Listen to a doctor with skepticism.
Paul

Last edited by PaulS; 07/29/06 01:24 AM.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi John,

My Hemoglobin is 145 improved from 110 with B12, Biotin, Iron, Folic Acid and other supplements.

It was CRP.

No chance of getting B12 shots now with B12 level of 561.

I am not sure what caused the drop of Ferritin. Long-term usages of Antibotics? Rice? Pita?

Something is not right with my diet. More vitamin C I guess is in order.

Ali

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Paul for the links.

I have tried to keep a good diet rich in Iron. I think I will proceed to get a colonscopy done to rule out Chron.

Later,

Ali

#234370 07/30/06 12:08 PM
G
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
G
Hi Ali

Are you by chance taking Losec. I read somewhere here that Losec may cause the Ferritin level to drop. It might be worth checking it out.

Gerri

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Gerri,

I have been taking Prevacid for a long time now and since being on NSD and Antibotics(Keflex). I had to increase my dosage of Prevacid.

Here is link supporting what you mentioned.

Thanks
Ali

PS: It makes me wonder what the doctors really know....

#234372 07/31/06 11:01 AM
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I would suggest to be extremily careful with taking iron supplements. Iron is almost always the limiting element for the gut flora especially for the more opportunistic ones like Klebsiella. Supplementing with iron will almost certain put you in a flare. There must be some external cause for the low iron level and the NSD is not a logical suspect as it is higher in iron then a "normal" diet. My iron levels raised significantly while on this diet anyway.
Regards,
Gerard

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 7 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
A video on the reduction of suffering
by Prost007 - 01/27/22 06:59 PM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
My Experience via a short video
by Ako - 01/09/22 12:03 PM
Very long time no see
by wolverinefan - 12/14/21 12:14 PM
Will Vaccines Flare me?
by tux - 07/24/20 01:46 PM