Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#228103 05/06/06 08:32 PM
S
shellim Offline OP
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
S
I'm a new user. I've been fighting AS for about six years; however, I am somewhat self-diagnosed. Currently, my pain is in my neck, shoulders, upper back, chest, wrists, thumbs, knees and ankles. In Feb. I started an exercise program that seemed to help me significantly, but I believe I overdid it and after two months found myself in a serious flare that I'm having trouble getting back under control. I got on this website and learned more about the NSD and decided to give it a try. I would consider myself low starch prior to this as I was already staying away from grains and processed carbs. I have been very careful, and to my knowledge, I have been starch, lactose and sugar free for a week and a half now and have seen no progress in my pain subsiding. I have read testimonies of people feeling better within three days to a week. Has anyone taken longer to get results? I didn't do the three day apple diet to start off. I work full time and have four children and didn't feel like I could pull it off. ~Confused in Kansas

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Hi, I understand your concerns about the apple diet.

How about 3 days of just meat, fish, eggs, lots of leafy greens, leafy herbs, apples, grapes, apple/grape juice. Salt for seasoning. No processed/canned meats. No roots, no dairy. Could you manage that? Perhaps some home made mayonnaise to help relieve the blandness.

Otherwise, could you please post a list of the foods you are eating on a daily basis at the moment.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
AS Czar
AS Czar

Hey, Confused:

Quote:

I have read testimonies of people feeling better within three days to a week. Has anyone taken longer to get results?

There are some good testimonials, but most people take much longer to respond to the NSD and three months might be more typical. I did not respond so easily until I eliminated dairy also and I was taking antibiotics to first prove the pathogen connection to myself. Four days of that and I had my proof, but I have trouble staying away from dairy.

I have been thinking about the best way to approach diet therapy. It is always difficult to imagine "never again" for some foods and instead of a 'yo-yo' dieter I might have been a yo-yo ASer after periods of fasting and remission and then heavy starches then relapse. The time constants are not that different. Maybe think of AS like losing 30 pounds--it can be done, but keeping it off requires constant effort.

Although the best way to start the NSD is with some cleansing regimen, perhaps a two day berry (Oregon blueberries would be very good) monodiet would be almost as effective. I often thought of the homemaker caring for children and working also--how difficult that would be to fast as I was able to do, or even do odd diets and the inconvenient NSD--but stick with it and you will not regret the rewards of energy and more pain-free days to devote to your family.

We will be here for You every step of the way,
John

HI Shellim,

There are others that have taken longer, one individual that comes to mind is Chelsea's husband Jon (she posts under "Kiwi" name). You may want to PM here if she does not come along.

As Zark stated, you may want to post your list of foods you are eating for others to review... that has helped others in the past.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
zark #228107 05/08/06 12:30 PM
S
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
S
Hi there, i'm about 6 or 7 weeks into NSD, with just a little dairy (hard strong cheese and a little thick cream on occasion) and am still flaring...i'm also detoxing with the help of a naturalapath and hope eventually the detox and the diet will come together and sort me out a bit. so no quick relief here but i live in hope..

Sarah x
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
what has you naturopath given you for the detox? have you tested it with iodine to see if it contains starch?

I do not eat dairy - except for butter. You might want to try giving up foods that contain FOS / inulin: onions, garlic, asparagus, bananas, chicory, etc.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
G
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
G
Hi,

I started the NSD in February and have had fairly good results overall, but the first 6 weeks were really on and off. The first week I thought I felt noticeably better, but thereafter started loading up on supplements which I think threw off the results. Then, at around 3 weeks and at the suggestion of responses here, I stopped taking all of the supplements / vitamins / minerals because I wasn't seeing results like I was in the first week.

After that, I have seen continual improvement, most remarkably after 8 weeks or so. I think I had to build momentum. I'm still working on reintegrating the vitamins/supplements, etc.

I have been fairly strict. No dairy (except for some butter and a couple of desperate measures when eating out), no sugar except for honey and maple syrup. Only blanched almonds and walnuts for nuts. Not eating fruits/veggies that turn black with starch. My biggest problems have arisen when eating out and having starch snuck into food or having been 'forced' to eat cheese when being faced with starvation and only having shredded lettuce and ham to eat. The ham could have been the problem as well, since it was probably processed. Oh, a really bad flare was caused by a Caesar salad at the airport because I hadn't had anything to eat for hours upon hours. I had a busy day at work and only had time to eat the plethora of walnuts & raisins that I brought to snack on. Got to the airport and ate the Caesar salad, including the creamy dressing and the most likely processed chicken and definitely felt the effects for 3 days. Won't do that again. As I now know, it would have been much better to have McDonald's burger w/out the bun or even a chocolate bar.

Anyway, it is frustrating and I felt desperate at first, but things have really paid off.

I'm now 10 weeks into the diet and I'm finally feeling well enough to test fringe foods. Otherwise, if I had tried testing them before this point, I really wouldn't have been able to tell if they were causing me pain or if something else was causing me pain.

Carol Sinclair's book has been really handy. And it's really nice to read something so tailored to us. early on, I also bought the "No Grain Diet" book by Dr. Mercola because I wanted to hear from an actual M.D. that our diet is safe. Don't buy the No Grain Diet book because it's not really of practical use to us in my opinion, but know that that safety was one of my concerns about the diet and that concern was dispelled partially by this website and partially by Dr. Mercola's book.

For your info, I am HLA-B27+ and I don't take any medications at all.

But it is really cool to get to the point of knowing that avocadoes = flare, chocolate in large amounts = flare, etc., etc. It's also really cool to start figuring out what recipes are practical for me and that they actually taste just as good as my former eating habits tasted now that I'm past the hurdle of carb-addiction.

Oh, and I also did not do the apple diet. I started it but was losing too much weight after 24 hours and I then just resumed the NSD.

Best of luck! Keep asking questions. It's definitely worth the trials and tribulations, if you ask me.
Ginger

zark #228110 05/09/06 02:39 PM
S
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
S
Hi Zark, I take some homeopathic remedies, milk thistle, psyllium, fish oil, castor oil packs, salt baths, colonic therapy, pro-biotics.

The only thing I know is starchy is the pro-biotics but i've only been taking them for a week and i've remained flaring since I started the programme, the addition of the probiotics hasn't made things worse. When my colonics are over and i don't need such a strong probiotic i'll stop. I tried just taking kefir to repopulate but it wasn't enough.

I'll give the FOS/inulin some thought, I don't eat too much onion, but do eat garlic several times a week. so hard getting it right

Sarah x
P
Active_Member
Active_Member
P
It took me several months before I noticed much improvement. Antibiotics helped. Now I have been about 95% pain free for 4 years.

Paul

C
New_Member
New_Member
C
hello shellim

in my case, it took me about 20 to 30 days to start notice the benefits of the diet,and i eliminate completely all dairy products.

keep on,hope tou get better in the near future

jose

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 7 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
A video on the reduction of suffering
by Prost007 - 01/27/22 06:59 PM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
My Experience via a short video
by Ako - 01/09/22 12:03 PM
Very long time no see
by wolverinefan - 12/14/21 12:14 PM
Will Vaccines Flare me?
by tux - 07/24/20 01:46 PM