Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I simply do not understand and cannot comprehend this...
There has been so much support and responses to your posts and I've been here for quite awhile at KA...I may not be here all the time or reply to every single post..but it doesnt mean I forget my support group and friends I have..but I'm sure like many others we have our families, work, and outside activities going on...do I love KA? I sure do. But I also have my bad days and real bad days where simply reading posts brings me comfort.

Sorry to the original poster for having to toss this into another post...but I just am really dissapointed to read that you STILL feel you are not getting support when we have how many thousands of members here that are suffering from various degrees of pain and to still make a comment like that is a bit spoiled.

SENSational_AS_Kicker
SENSational_AS_Kicker
You havn't ticked me off Windrider. I enjoy many of your posts.
I'm sorry to read all that you've been through.

The opthamologists experience was shameful indeed. I have to say here though, that my opthamologist is a godsend. He listens and cares and treats me very very well. I am delighted with him and feel that at least my eyes are in the very best of hands. I hope you can find one this good.

Take Care
Maggie

Last edited by Maggie; 04/17/06 04:50 AM.

Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
I would have to say it's over the 60% mark. I would say a "quack," is a doctor who's interest is devided by anything other than the good health of the patient. In the US a doctors interest most of the time is on so many other factors that they qualify as a quack in my book. Insurance, thiers and ours, drug companies, courts. I agree with others that the real problem isn't in the doctors as much as our politics. As an American I would say more that 60% of us are too lazy to support a democracy. So our democracy is failling. If we would listen to the track records of our politicians, listen to the issues being discussed, bring the issues that matter to us to a public forum and then vote accordingly our doctors could concentrate on thier patients. But us Americans will watch TV and complain about politians we dont elect and that we never demanded to address the issues that matter to us. Yes I point my finger at the doctors but in doing that I have three pointing at me. Just my two cents worth.

AND SO IT GOES...
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Hi
I do not agree about them being quacks, but certainly mis informed and chasing money (15 min appointment MAX.) Took 5 docters and close to 4 years before being diagnosed, and that was after I read an article about AS in the newspaper and took that to the dr and said: I've got this!

If you think that 4 years is a long time to get a diagnosis, it took me 18 years after the first symptoms really started to "bite".

Do I consider most of my doctors as quacks? No. The reason that I do not see them in that way happens to be that on the whole I have had quality care, despite the lack of a diagnosis. It was my GP who finally made the dx, but only after I persisted that I was not happy with the comments from the rheumatologist, and I did not believe that FMS fitted my symptoms. He has been the most patient and kindest doctor that I have attended. My former doctor is also a wonderful diagnostician and she was very close when I chose to make a switch of doctors (no reflection upon her capability at all).

I think that the worst thing that happened to me would have to be the lack of an x-ray when I had fractured and dislocated my coccyx. That x-ray came three months after the fact. Do I blame the doctor? No. There were other mitigating circumstances as to why the x-ray was not ordered.

The only doctor that I would categorize in that way is a former family doctor who failed to diagnose my niece with a very serious heart condition. He botched my son's circumcision, and he let my mother down. On top of that he left me waiting for more than 3 hours whilst he saw a whole bunch of other patients who were known to his receptionist. I had a virus and needed the care that he failed to give me.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Actually the sketch takes some liberty with history - barbers were the forerunners of the surgeons who trained via apprenticeships, but it was the elite college educated physicians who done the bloodletting! Here in the UK there is a kind of inverted snobbery whereby surgeons often still like to be called 'Mister' and not 'Doctor' so as to differentiate themselves. After all the original surgeons must have been much more useful.

Anyway the good news is that 5 of the 6 triallists are now out of hospital and the 6th is getting better. In the future the regulatory authority will have these drugs reviewed by an expert in the field (wow!!!) but there will still be no open debate. Expecting one tame 'expert' to withstand all the commercial pressures is ridiculous. Even before the first trial many tens of millions of $$$s will have been spent over a period of many years.

pp - but getting back to the 'quack' thing - there is an excellent book 'Religion and the Decline of Magic' by Keith Thomas who describes how the treatments given to patients by physicians, priests and white witches overlapped to a large degree, but eventually the physicians were able to establish their monopoly.

The latest on the sixth patient in that drug trial happens to be that he will probably lose his fingers.

I have my own opinions about some of the drugs that are available on the market. Please no one get me started about the way in which RU486 has been introduced to the world market because what is happening is criminal, and there is narry a whimper from the people who should be taking this very seriously.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
P
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
P
It sure would help, though, if we would toss the electoral system and have a popular vote instead!!

Paula

Meanwhile I live and move and I am glad, enjoy this life and all its interweaving. Each given day, as I take up the thread, let love suggest my mode,my mood of living. (Fred Kaan, 1975)
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, blazr63:

Sorry to take so long to post to this thread, but I had to get the hip waders out—THEN my dry suit and even that was not enough! Full HazMat--and I think she’s a three-bagger, too!

If you listen to the professional patients on the board, they are victims not of their own doing, or their incompetent doctors, and not of a system broken by trial lawyers, and made further useless by the nefarious insurance companies, but THE GOVERNMENT causes all of their problems! Why the heck not?! If we can blame an administration for NATURAL disasters, we can blame them for just about anything—especially whatever AS has done to us.

Heavens knows, my health must NOT be MY own FAULT, so I’m off the hook! Sir Isaac’s third law is declared meaningless; suddenly it does not exist—Grace by mortal fiat has supplanted all. I just don’t know whom to thank for this, but I’m oh so happy to learn that I can totally forget WHY I got AS in the first place. Instead of waking up this morning, imprisoned in my AS-wracked body counting 34 years damage, and wondering what more I had to learn from this ‘challenge,’ per contra—the entire Universe has suddenly changed and there is no longer any such thing as ‘personal responsibility.’

The shock at finding out that AS (and doctors) are NOT just Darwinism, and that those clever namby-pamby Liberals have created a new science—and a new physics that is neither Newtonian nor Quantum has caught me off guard; I’m still reeling…really.

Way back when you posted your original question (before the Universe inverted), we had probably an 85%—well, I would not call it a ‘quack’ rate myself, but—and I used the word already—Incompetents rate. Not for an obviously broken arm, perhaps, but certainly for AS—I agree with your basic assessment, if not your choice of words. We would be slightly better off having a heart murmur; the rate is about 10% lower.

Maybe now that no doctor will ever be sued again for malpractice, and the trial lawyers will instead be going after the government, we can also prevail upon them to bring a suit against gravity! It has been responsible for so much grief and human misery that a class action suit would yield riches beyond comprehension. Hope you can line up at the front of the feeding trough—we all know how class-action litigation goes! We'll probably just end up with public service commercials warning about the dangers of covert forces acting upon our mass.

We simply must offer a new degree programme at the University of Hard Knocks: “Doctor of Patientology:” Like all other degrees it requires a combination of belonging to THE RIGHT fraternity (Epsilon Alpha Sigma, aka Embrace Ankylosing Spondylitis) and the money to complete the curriculum. The Associate degree requires learning that, although they did not actually CAUSE your disease, only DOCTORS can properly treat it, plus acceptance of all the hype from the pharmaceutical companies will assure a minor in Victimology, later. Instead of a Masters thesis, you can just buy and take $20K worth of NSAIDs, steroids, and a combination of other poisons (some credits can be transferred, so check with your counselor). To complete your PhD in Patientology, however, instead of a doctoral dissertation, spending over $60K on doctors (this can include surgeons, but only half-credit for chiropractors) is required. Good thing that the insurance companies provide such generous scholarships to promising students; much of these costs can be covered thus. Maybe you can apply to the evil administration to guarantee your student loans at below market rates; after all, it is in their best interest to generate even more victims to justify collecting all that tax money from illegal aliens. Sorry… ”undocumented workers.”

[Pete Seeger’s sing-along rendition of Kumbaya playing in the background]

Regards,

John (who is convinced the entire world must have joined some Pythonesque sketch or that Allen Funt has returned and will appear from behind some curtain any second now...).

I don't know if there are a lot of doctors that are quacks but they definately don't spend the amount of time that they used to with their patients. I do think insurance contracts have a lot to do with that. There are those doctors that only become a doctor for the money but I think those people are awakened when they find out how much money they acutally make due to malpractice insurance costs, equipment costs, and the ever increasing cost of staff.

A lot of you know I definately haven't had luck with my doctors, but after having my surgery I was reminded of what they go through. I have never seen so many stressed, overworked people in my life. It wore me out just watching them zip around. Maybe it was a disorganized hospital but I have nothing to compare it to. But one thing I never even thought about is what they have to deal with because their patients are sedated. Most patients I saw were pretty nutty under sedation, and I laughed when I found out I did the same. It's got to be hard to figure out what side effects are made up and which are real, to figure out which patient needs help first.

Today, I my neurosurgeon came into the exam room dripping with sweat and his scrubb top inside-out. He must have ran from the hospital over to his office for my appointment. He was an hour late (that's actually good for one of my doctors lol). He operates very early in the morning, he does visits to his patients in the hospital every day, and my nurse called him late at night when she was concerned about my heart rate and medications. I sure don't know when he gets his sleep and the fact that he is able to perform brain surgery so well on such little sleep just amazing. I was glad I was the patient and not the doctor that's for sure.

There are good doctors out there who put the care of their patients before monitary gain. The more I learn about the medical industry the more confused I get. I see a lot of politics from every angle. I see certain insurance companies falling victim to their own rules, having to increase staffing to enforce them. Doctors, Insurances, and the providers in-between can no longer take care of all their patients because of all the red tape and inability to communicate to get things done. Hopefully someone will figure it out how to make all our lives easier but unfortunately I think they are too busy to sit down and think about it.

So I think that the problem is that most are quacks. They are just short of the time they need to evaluate medical records and make the best decisions for the care of their patients, they might have time to evaluate what you tell them at that visit, but even then their mind may be on many other things that they have to do.

I am definately going back to work next week with a different frame of mind and hopefully it will work to my advantage.

Sharon

Quote:

So I think that the problem is that most are quacks. They are just short of the time they need to evaluate medical records and make the best decisions for the care of their patients, they might have time to evaluate what you tell them at that visit, but even then their mind may be on many other things that they have to do.

I am definately going back to work next week with a different frame of mind and hopefully it will work to my advantage.

Sharon

Ooops, I think you meant are NOT?

Chelsea

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hey Sigrid,

Thanks for the sweet words!!!

Works alot better than people getting on here and having NO clue what they are talking about.

Some people just have too much time on there hands...lol

Lisa

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!